“A hotel in transition”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #57 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Right off the bat, I will cut this place an enormous amount of slack as they are undergoing extensive renovations, with more to come when it changes ownership/branding on July 1st.

The central location (near Dundas Square) is great, and close to a lot of districts, but this hotel has probably seen better days, and, renovations notwithstanding, looks a little rough around the edges. Still, the service was good and it was clean and we had no complaints. Walls are a little thin, though.

A very busy place, and from what hear, the largest hotel in Canada. It will be interesting to see what Eaton, the new UK owners, do with it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Hypnotiq,

Thank you for taking time to provide some feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the stay and were not to inconvenienced by our renovations. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,849)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I just had a two night stay at the Delta Chelsea because it was recommended to me due to proximity to the Sick Kids hospital. I wish I had read the trip advisor reviews. Yes, the location is great - close to hospital and restaurants. But this is a building site and there was always a massive line for the elevators and often the front desk. On top of this I was previewing movies - which was 'free' for latest releases until one of them (a crappy teenagers movie) suddenly stated that there was no free preview with this particular film and I would now be charged $16.99 and do not change channels, as I would still be charged. What a con! I told the front desk when I was checking out and they said that I should have told them etc.... and they had contracted out this service - i.e. they did not want to help me. My one interaction with the front desk during check in (cos there were huge lines other times, so I would just call from my room) was friendly and they gave me the 20th floor which was nice. The rooms themselves were clean, but bathroom was old, without fan. No slippers or robes, or safe. I think they should state on their website and expedia's website (which I booked through with flight) that they are undergoing EXTENSIVE remodelling and their rates should be reduced accordingly.

3  Thank Barbiedoll_888
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend and it was a busy spot. If you want to be close to everything downtown entails then this is a good spot to be at. However, if you don't like tight parking spots and crowded lobbies then I would suggest to look elsewhere like the airport hotels or North York.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is almost a sbad as any other Delta hotel. the one I experienced in London, ON. It is not 3.5 star at all as it said in priceline. they said 3 star I would say 1 or 1.5 star maximum. just a substitude if you have no where else to go except sleeeping in street. a hostel is much better than this ho(s)tel. currently it is under construction so dont expect a welcome lobby, it is old, the rooms are terriblely dirty and the walls look like it colapses on you. when I call the front desk they said this is wht you get with this price (I paid $120 per night). sooo not worthed. again a better choice than street but if you can sleep in your car, do it . you will regret why you spend any thing more than $20 per night on this one.

Room Tip: 1 star quality
2  Thank P D
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just beware as of June 25, 2013 the entire hotel is under construction as well as the surrounding area. Stay out during the day to avoid the noise! The entire hotel lobby is a mess - covered in plastic- not a very comfortable place at all.

We booked on Hotwire and was given a room with two small beds and had to pay an extra $25 per night to get a room with a queen bed. This has never happened at any other hotel I've stayed in! I was pretty surprised to see how unwilling they were to accommodate this tiny request- most hotels do it in a heart beat (if they have the space).

The room was average - the furniture was obviously old even though we were told it was recently remodeled. I'm not sure how the star ratings work, but this shouldn't qualify as 3.5 stars.

The best thing about the hotel is that it is close to a lot of shops and restaurants.

I would never knowingly stay here or any associated property again.

1  Thank laleemo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the start of the June, we were a bit worried given the reviews that were posted just before but our experience couldnt have been any better.
Upon arrival we could see that construction is being done but this is sectioned off and there was no dust/dirt as a result and we never heard any noise form the work being done.
We were given a lovely modern room on the 16th floor which was very spacious and had everything we needed.
The suitcase we bought with us had broke and we could not open the digit lock on it and rang reception for help. Within minutes a member of staff came to our room and pryied the keys out of the lock for us so we could get in without any damage being done, which we were incredibly grateful for.
The gym, pool and sauna facilities were fantastic and never more than a few people there.
All in all we had a very enjoyable stay here.

Room Tip: We requested a modern room away from the elevators
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I used to stay here quite a bit years ago purely for location along the subway and proximity to Eaton's Center. So was willing to give it a shot when I found a Groupon deal for a date I needed.

Pretty much exactly as I remembered, though the hotel is going through extensive renovations as it leaves the Delta family end of June (if I remember correctly).
Much of the lobby and main floor is inaccessible or a construction zone, as are a couple of the restaurants so first impression comes across a bit chaotic.
Check-in was a breeze, no issues, very friendly and polite staff.
The wait for elevators was excessive bordering on annoying, if we weren't on the 22nd floor we would have taken the stairs. This is probably a combined problem of how big/busy the hotel is on weekends, the construction and the elevator workers strike in Toronto at the moment. Either way, they have 3 separate banks of elevators for different floor ranges, and all were backed up with lines.

Room was standard, clean, no fridge but did have coffee maker, we even had a balcony we could walk out onto which was a treat for some fresh air.
Bed was extremely comfortable and got a great quality sleep.
Bathrooms nothing special, but clean and plenty of towels. Strong water pressure in the shower.
Also being a Saturday night there was clearly a portion of guests using this as the pre/post bar place to be so a bit of noise bleeding out from some rooms into the halls. This didn't impact our quality of sleep.
Invoice was correct and just dropped key cards in the box on the way out so "check-out" was a breeze.

Overall, not a bad stay as the important stuff (bed, cleanliness, location) was fine, mostly circumstantial stuff that would lead me to avoid the hotel until renovations and re-branding are complete as it leads to a disruptive experience. There are some great rates available so from a price standpoint it still is a decent place to stay.

Room Tip: The floors are quite large so hallways have a lot of traffic to/from the elevators.