“Stay On the Club Floor!”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #61 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We visited the Delta Chelsea in order to attend a Vintages event in TO. The lady with whom I spoke to book our room was AMAZING!! She was SOOOOOO helpful!! We booked a Signature Club Room, as the little bit extra in cost pays dividends in the long run. We enjoyed a great daily Continental Breakfast and evening Appetizers in the Club Lounge. The complimentary water and coffee alone are worth it!!!

We always book a Signature Club Room since it is very evident that the rooms are nicer, better serviced and have those extra little perks. We checked in early the day we arrived and Humberto at the Delta Privileges Desk worked very hard to get us a nice, quiet room for our 2 night stay. The lady who cleaned our room and the ones who did the nightly Turndown Service were wonderful!!! When we requested robes and additional pillows they were delivered to us within 10 minutes.

The Club Rooms are accessed by the Blue Elevators and are MUCH faster than the others. This time even the Blue elevators were slow, but only because the workers who service them, etc. were on strike. During peak times there was a Delta employee riding them to make entry and exit a little smoother and quicker.

We had no concerns during our stay and found everyone to be very friendly and helpful, including the staff who work in the Club Lounge for Breakfast and Nightly Appetizers. i do admit that the hotel has seen better days. Our first stay at the Delta Chelsea was in 1977 - I know, I've just aged myself by 36 years! - but, even to this day we always feel comfortable and relaxed when we stay there. Yes, I checked out other hotels online to see if the Delta was still our best bet for a TO stay. Based on TA reviews of other hotels and the fact we didn't want to spend a minimum of $400 a night to sleep in the room for 8 hours, this place was perfect!

We had a wonderful stay, slept amazingly well, heard not a sound in our room, enjoyed the Club Lounge, walked everywhere we went, had great staff take care of us and felt safe. The only reason I marked the Cleanliness and Rooms as a 4 is because of the age of the rooms. They could use a pick-me-up. But, honestly . . . no complaints from us re the Delta!!

Room Tip: Stay on the Club Floor #25 (but there are Club Rooms on the 24th and 26th floor as well) and ask for...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Terrierwhotravels,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your stay at the Chelsea. It great to know that we were able to meet all your needs and provide you with a memorable experience. Your comments regarding the reservation agent, housekeeping staff, and Front desk staff have been based to the appropriate departments. We appreciate this information as we use it to improve our services and let our staff know how they are doing. We hope that we will welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at the Delta Chelsea for 3 nights in May 2013. It is a really big hotel in downtown Toronto. You are chose to everything. I was able to walk wherever I wanted to go. If you don't want to walk, you have the metro or the bus really close by. I really appreciate the dining facilities. There is a small counter in the lobby. They serve muffins, fruits, juce during the day and also pizza for lunch and diner. Really useful if you are busy. I was a little bit disappointed by the room. They need to be refresh and it would be nice to have access to the balcony. Otherwisem they were comfortable. I have to say that the room are definetly not sound proof. We were on the 17th floor and we could hear everything in the street and the guest next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Away from the lift or any groups.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Vanessaruel,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great that the hotel suited all your needs and was in a good location to get around the city by walking or subway. I apologize for the disappointment you felt towards the condition of the room. I have passed your comments to our Rooms Director for review. Thank you once again for this feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The hotel itself was nice and clean to stay, great daily cleaning service, and conveniently located to my daily meetings.
During the week of our stay only 2 of the 6 elevators for our floor were working which meant lots of people waiting in the hallway.
We were not able to use the balcony of our room since the door was locked because the balcony needed repairs. In combination of not being able to open the windows, the room could not be aired. When we asked, we were told that the hotel was going through a renovation plan for all that but we could not see any work being done on any balcony.
On 2 evenings it got very cold in our room. When we called on the first evening we were told that the heater had been switched on and it would take about an hour until we would notice that in our room. On the second evening we were told that the heater was off. We were offered a space heater, which we gladly accepted, but it took 90 minutes and another phone call to get the heater delivered to our room.
The hotel staff was helpful but when we asked for a luggage trolley we were told that that service only came with a bellboy.
The hotel restaurant was closed for repairs.

Dear Micha1610,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was happy to learn that your stay was overall enjoyable. I apologize for the inconveniences that our renovations caused as well as the slow elevator service. Our balcony project is starting from the roof level working down, which might be why you saw no work being done. We appreciate all feedback and use this information to improve our services or let our staff know how they are doing. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments.
Once again I would like to thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My regular spot. Haven't been here in 2 years and it's gone downhill. I suggested it to my co-worker, I'm disappointed...Where does one start? On 12th floor on Yonge St side.

Pros:
The big one is the primo location. Starbucks @ the Pickup&Go. The small balconies for smokers. They offer an upgraded room for $20 bucks more/night.

Cons:
The renovations. My fav Market Garden for breakfast is closed. Now it's the the Pickup&Go in the middle of the lobby.
The peeling wallpaper, the mildewed bathroom tiles, the lumpy(!) bed covers, the stained bathroom tiles (was someone sick?).
Did I say they offer a $20/night upgrade?
No hot water the first morning. Brrrrrrrrr. The desk said they performed planned maintenance on the hot water system during the night. Planned?? It was hotel-wide but they never advised anyone. If they did, we could have showered the night before. Rookie. No partial refund.
The funky smells. One time it smelled like rotten garbage, next it's strong musk or skunk.
First room had a wall grille on the floor and a real noisy fan. Room 1135.

The rumour has it, it will no longer be part of the Delta chain because it doesn't meet their standards. Stay tuned. Go elsewhere if you can afford it, or pay for the upgrade.

3  Thank TansRFading
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear TansRFading,

Thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay. I was sorry to hear that the hotel was not up to the standards and quality that you once knew and experienced. The service you were provided and the level of quality in your guest rooms does not represent the level we are aim to provide and I certainly understand your disappointment. We hope you will return to visit under the new brand.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Large, impersonal and one grows old waiting for the elevators. This is apparently the largest hotel in Toronto and it suffers from a chaotic lobby (especially when there is a conference on which seemed to be everyday). The rooms themselves were fine. The wifi was poor and if you want bottled water from one of the vending machines you'd better have coins as the note readers on all of the 3 I tried were useless. The gym was nice. Wouldn't stay there again. No personal service to speak of at all.

Dear MerchantAdventurer,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay at the Chelsea. I apologize that the service you received seemed impersonal. Although we are a large hotel, we pride ourselves in our individual service to each guest. I also apologize for the chaotic nature of the lobby. Currently we are undergoing renovations to the lobby and have closed off areas of the lobby. We also are currently dealing with a labour strike with the elevator companies throughout Toronto. I apologize for the inconveniences this caused you during your stay. We hope that you will visit again.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I booked a Deluxe King room (on special through Expedia) before I read any of the online reviews. Once I started reading them, I got a little worried. I read so many complaints about the outdated decor, cleanliness, staff, and the hotel in general that upon arrival, I wasn't expecting much.

I'm happy to say that my stay was absolutely wonderful. Our room was a decent size, very very clean and recently updated. The bed was soooooooo comfortable and luxurious, as were the linens and duvet. The bathroom was modern and immaculately clean. The Delta is in a prime location, close to everything, and overall, my 5-night stay was very comfortable & enjoyable.

Two negatives: the location can be loud with traffic and sirens (to be expected I guess, as you're in the heart of a major city!) Bring earplugs. Also, save your money and do not order room service -- very expensive for sub-par food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TravelHeath,

Thank you for choosing the Chelsea for your 5 night stay in the City. I am so pleased that despite your worries prior to arrival, you enjoyed your experience and were provided with excellent service and quality. We thank you for taking time to provide this feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The room was quiet big, the bathroom was very neat,lots of mirrors,and possibility to drink tea and coffee.
The bed is very comfortable (box spring), big TV screen,very quiet.
The breakfast offers many possibilities and lots of healthy choice (granola with fruits), there's a big room and terrace for the breakfast. The employees are very efficient and helpful, as well as the desk than for the luggages. We enjoyed the stay and the good service of this hotel as well as the comfort helped us forget the jet lag.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Devonhamilton2,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that the location of the Chelsea was a main contributor to your " stay-cation". We always enjoy when local residents of Toronto and the greater area come a stay for a mini vacation. With so many hot spots close to the hotel you can not go wrong. I must apologize for the slow elevator service you experienced. We are currently dealing with a city wide strike with the elevator service union. During this time the service company has limited personnel to make service calls. We apologize for any inconveniences this caused, and thank you for your patience and understanding. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.