“had a wonderful stay”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 7, 2013

my husband and i stayed at the Delta Chelsea April 29 and 30 2013. on the 19th floor and had a nice enough balcony that looked out to young street. just a block and a bit to eaton centre and the subway. also on the PATH for underground shopping. Had no issue walking everywhere we wanted to go (even to the CN tower as it really isn't that far if you have no mobility issues) Ed Mirvish Theater is just a short walk away which was great for us.
the rooms were clean. the bed was comfortable. the decor nice.

we had an issue with the television (only analog) so maintenance came up right away. although the issue could not be fixed immediately they did provide us with a 30 dollar breakfast credit for the market resturant downstairs. the Maintenance gentleman that came to our room was friendly and went out of his way to help.

the staff at check in were wonderful, helpful and fast!

the drawbacks
it was really warm and no airconditioning was available yet. good thing our balcony door did open. the noise from young street did cause us to close it at night though.

No Fridge in the room and Ice machine not working on our floor

the 30 dollar breakfast credit should have bought a feast...sadly the food was way over priced. it cost two of us 37 dollars for runny eggs (mine were raw and had to be returned) bland homefries, toast and two strips of bacon. a small fruit cup and a coffee. we got so much more at the Cora's just a couple of blocks away our first morning there.

I have stayed at the Chelsea before and was not happy with the service then. I found it much improved over my last stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Ti83,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay with us. I am pleased that your overall experience was favourable, and exceeded your previous experiences at the hotel. I must apologize for the issue with the television in your guest room and the inconvenience that this caused. I have passed your comments regarding your meal to our food and beverage director for review as this does not sound like the quality we are known for. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (6,687)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to the Delta Chelsea for a one night. First impression, the lobby smells absolutelu lovely. Whatever they are using to wash or deodorize, the smell is pure pleasure. I was in a regular room, but since I went alone, the accomodation was okay for what I needed. I had a great view on the city, it is walking distance from the Eaton Center. I went to take a look at the pool, it seem great, i did not know they had one, so did not bother to bring a swimsuit. I ate at their cafeteria style restaurant. Was a bit pricey. I had a steak that costed 22$, but had soooo much fat on it I ended up eating less than if I had a filet mignon. They had a nice choice, except for desserts. linens were clean, but no fancy smell. Tv was ok.
When I arrived on my floor, I was very surprised with the smell of cigarette...I thought, for sure, it was all non smoking, but maybe not! Or some clients did not respect the non smoking directive.
I have to admit that the hotel needs a little update, the windows are very old and let air easily in the room, I slept on the bed that was the farthest from the window. The bathroom was clean but could use a little update as well. Did not like their soap and shampoo, they seem fancy but don't smell that great. I would recommand this hotel, but would be discourage to pay full price for the room! But this is Toronto, and rooms are usually pricey.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ndbpsy

Dear Ndbpsy,

Thanks for your recent review on your stay at the Chelsea. I am pleased your overall experience was enjoyable. I am glad the location of the hotel allowed you access all of the down town amenities you set out to visit. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

we stayed here for 4 nights after being to a family wedding, room was spacious clean and comfortable. the indoor pool was great though we didnt go to the adult pool as we had our young daughter with us. the staff were very friendly too

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tallybelle

Dear Tallybelle,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Chelsea. I am so pleased that your overall experience was most enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Unattractive and incredibly busy lobby. OK room but furniture needs to be replaced and TV is thin screen but low quality. Meeting rooms were good. . Great location. Taxi driver told me that in order to fill rooms it is possible to get bargain prices at the last minute which draws a sometimes less than desirable clientele.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear ArmandoF,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay with us. I was happy to learn that your stay was overall enjoyable. We appreciate all feedback and use this information to improve our services or let our staff know how they are doing. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments.
Once again I would like to thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

this place is an outright dump and for the price I paid it makes it even worse. The place is huge and feels like a motel. The hotel lobby is shabby and my room was smelly (the bathroom smelled like wet old towels) and was tucked away at the end of a corridor with a sad view of a parking lot. The service was quick when i asked for a room change and reception personnel is friendly, but it does not take away from my general feeling of a sad, smelly old place where I want to spend as little time as possible.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank AnneNY1

Dear AnneNY1,

We deeply regret to hear that your recent stay with us was less than satisfactory. It is the philosophy of the Chelsea to provide service and products that not only meet, but exceed our guests’ expectations. It is obvious that we failed in providing this experience during your stay. We never wish for a guest to leave us unhappy. We hope that we will earn another chance to show you the true Chelsea service in the future, and we are very grateful to you for sharing your experiences with us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

we actually stayed here a few years ago but i thought this might be a helpful review for people considering to stay here. once again we used hotwire to book and thank goodness we did because we found out we saved $100+ the rooms are very expensive for what they offer which is nothing. it was a very basic room we even got 2 doubles instead of the king or queen we wanted. also lots of noise and bright lights outside the room- hard for sleeping. however when you first walk in, the hotel seems very Lux. i guess the price is determined based on location. we were there for the ACC so it was close enough for us.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Victor1a,

Thank you for your note about your experiences at the Chelsea. I was sorry to read that your stay was not memorable and did not surpass your expectations. We are currently in the process of renovating some areas of the hotel as we get closer to our brand change. We hope that you will come try us out again under the new brand.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Toronto. Our travel agent sorted out our travel plans and the delta chelsea hotel in downtown Toronto was what was recommended. The hotel is very dated, I would say on the whole clean but clearly in need of modernisation. The public areas are adequate with a reasonably priced cafe and pub. Our bedroom was clean but again very dated.The outside balcony was disgusting - full of pigeon poo. On the plus side the bed was the most comfortablest we have ever experienced. The bedding and pillows lovely. This is an extrememly busy hotel, people coming and going 24 hours a day. It is on a very busy road and so is quite noisy too. Our first night we were awoken by the fire alarm in the early hours of the morning and had to evacuate down 10 flights of stairs. It was a false alarm and I know it's better to be safe than sorry but there was no word of apology from any member of staff for our inconvenience. Apparently the fire alarm going off is a common occurence!!! On checking out the desk staff tried to charge me 14 dollars - some sort of tax that the "city is instigating!!!" I queried it and was told on this occasion they would not take it as I wasn't aware. Toronto is a great city though and well worth the visit

Room Tip: Ask for a room quite high up to try and get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LesleyH605,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review about your recent stay. I am pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. I am truly sorry about the disappointment you felt towards the condition of your room, and can certainly understand. As a company our first priority is the safety of our guests and employees, and treat every fire alarm with the utmost importance. I apologize for the disturbance it caused.
We have recently discovered that pigeons have found our balconies a nice place to hang out. As nice as it is for the pigeons, it is not a welcome sight for guests. We are working with a pest control company to deter the pigeons from landing on the balconies.
The Destination Marketing Program is a program which all hotels in the Toronto area participate in. The program helps promote tourism for the city and is vital in creating new opportunities for travellers to the city. I understand that this program was introduced after your reservation was made, which explains why it was not included in the original room quote.
Thank you once more for your feedback and we hope to have you stay with us again.