“Good Service but Upgrades Would Make Hotel Better”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“Good Service but Upgrades Would Make Hotel Better”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

As a local, I stayed at the Delta Chelsea as part of a night out on the town. The service provided by the staff was definitely wonderful - very friendly and helpful. However, walking through the hallways was when you could tell that it was an older hotel. The carpets need to be changed and the walls could be brighter. The apperance was dull and very much reflective of the 1970's style. The room was just ok. It was a standard king size room, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom could be remodeled. The tub had stains and so I didn't end up using it. For a simple night out, it's a very average hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear adidas0203

Thank you for providing us feedback from your recent stay. I am pleased to learn that your overall stay was enjoyable. We appreciate all feedback and use this information to improve our services and let our staff know how they are doing. I hope you will return again soon.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Brunswick
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location! Within walking distance to so many areas of Toronto. Eaton Center, Kensington Market and loads of restaurants nearby.
Room was clean and service was good. The beds are a tad uncomfortable, both myself and the girlfriend I was travelling with had the same complaint.
They charged something they shouldn't have on our bill. "Contra Rooms"?? They removed it before we left.
Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Trudy28
Dear Trudy28

Thank you for providing us with this feedback. It is great to learn that our location was beneficial to your needs and you found the hotel clean and comfortable. I am surprised that you found your bed uncomfortable as our beds are some of our guests favourite feature. I will pass this feedback to the housekeeping department for review. Thank you for this feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The location of the hotel is amazing! Easton's Centre, Bay Street, Yonge Street, Yorkville, The Gay Village... Everything quintessentially Toronto is an easy walk.

The staff were amazing. You don't get better staff than that even at a top rated 5 star hotel.

The hotel itself was a fantastic building... Well laid out, wonderful amenities, ample parking and taxi stand on site with doorman to grab you a ride.

Attended a conference we had breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner ... The food was amazing ... Everything served was the best of the best ... And I'm a foodie - not easily impressed with food - it was perfect

The room itself was horrifying! Other than the bed and bedding - everything was needed to be replaced. The furniture was so worn, out dated and just plain ugly I have honestly never seen a hotel room that had such a lack of glamour. The "tv" was basically a 23" LCD computer monitor (and a cheap one at that). The desk, arm chair and dressers looked like things you would see in a garbage pile. The bathroom was horrible. They need to gut the rooms (new carpet, new wall paper, new paint, new curtains, new furniture and a decent TV).

If the management would invest in updating the rooms (and the halls on the rooms floors) this hotel could not be rated 64th place in Toronto. It's sad when people hotels get run down and make no effort to fix them.

With 5 brand new 5 star hotels open last year in Toronto and so many other hotels to choose from personally it's unacceptable the rooms are so trashy and nasty - that's what I would expect in a place that rents rooms by the hour.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear TorontoTop10

Thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Chelsea. I am pleased that the location and amenities of the hotel were well situated and suited all your needs. Thank you for the positive and encouraging note regarding our staff and the service they provided. I am sorry to hear that the condition of your room tarnished your stay, and I can certainly understand your disappointment. In the upcoming months we will be starting the next phase of renovations to the hotel and feedback such as this are a great help in making decisions on key areas of opportunity. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at the Delta Chelsea last weekend with my husband and another couple. We had stayed here several years ago and were a bit reluctant to come back as we had previously found the hotel quite dated. We were very happy with our stay this time. There are certainly marks of a bustling hotel that could use some freshening up, but our room was very clean and comfortable. Most impressive was how well focussed on service the staff were. From the front desk to the maintenance professionals, everyone seemed to go out of there way to wish us well and help us with whatever we needed. Our friends were staying on another floor for which our elevator did not go to. We asked a maintenance worker what was the quickest way to reach that floor and he took us to the service elevator entrance. He explained that the service elevator goes to all floors and we were welcome to use it whenever we wished. Whatever staff we met on the elevator wish us a happy stay. For me, service really makes a difference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AD_on_holidays

Thank you for the recent feedback from your stay at the Chelsea. It is so great to hear that this stay surpassed your expectations of your previous stay. I am glad that all staff you encountered were friendly and offered assistance where needed. We appreciate this type of feedback as we use this information to improve service and let our staff know how they are doing. I look forward to your next visit.

Toronto
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I travel a lot for work and spend about a third of my life in hotel rooms. Over the course of my 20 years in my current job, that's meant at least a few thousand experiences -- and the past three nights in the Delta Chelsea have been the absolute worst of the lot. Perhaps it's just the law of averages catching up to me, but every evening my floor has been party central. Security has been completely ineffective at getting things in hand, and with a prepaid reservation and no other rooms available ... well ... I'm never staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ABDavisToront0
Dear ABDavisToronto0

I apologize that your stay was the worst in all your experiences over the years. Our security team is usually very effective in controlling situations like this. I am sorry they have failed in this instance. I will be reviewing this with my team as this is not how we intend to operate. Thank you for providing this feedback. I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Delta Chelsea Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Recently stayed at the Delta Chelsea in Toronto. Although our room was on what was classed as a 'non smoking' floor, as soon as we exited the elevator you could smell cigarette smoke. And our room had that stale smoke smell. A good shot of Fabreze and it was tolerable. The water pressure wasn't terrible, but passable. The room itself was large (had 2 double beds) and they were comfortable beds with fantastic pillows.

Just be ware of the tv charges. You get no warning of being charged for a movie. We selected an option thinking we would see a summary of the movie, or a description, but instead we got a message to say that the movie had been charged to the room. They did remove it, but having to argue that point wasn't the most pleasant experience.

The location is great, the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Buzzus,

Thank you for your note. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I do apologize for the smell of smoke in your room. We are actually a 100% smoke free facility and it is always disappointing when guests fail to respect that policy. We thank you for your feedback and hope you will stay with us again soon.

Thank you.

Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were looking for a hotel to take the kids for a couple of days in Toronto during March Break. This hotel is nicely located near everything we wanted to see - the ROM, the Eaton Centre and lots of other Toronto attractions. The hotel itself is a bit dated but clean and met our needs. Room size was good and had all the amenities we needed plus a great view.

It was very busy during March Break as expected. Long line ups to check in and check out, to get into the restaurant for breakfast, etc. The pool was crazy busy - if my kids hadn't loved the waterslide so much we wouldn't have bothered.

The hotel did a nice job of putting kids programs together - especially for younger kids.

Room Tip: South facing rooms get a great view of Dundas Square