“Could do better”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We booked a one bed suite and paid good money for this but I have to say it was very disappointing. The room was shabby with lumps taken out of the paintwork and walls. The bathroom fittings moved in your hands and I would estimate that the room hadn't been decorated in a long time. The carpet was torn and the TV was like something out of the 90's.

I complained at the front desk and initially I was offered a $50 voucher for the hotel restaurant. Naturally I declined this kind offer and spoke to the front desk manager, Danny Freestone. I invited him up to the room to have a look but he said there was no need as he was aware of it's condition! He remarked that the hotel was being refurbished and my room hadn't been done yet. I was extremely annoyed to hear that we had been dumped with a substandard room, especially after paying over €200 per night.

He then offered an alternative of 2 interconnecting rooms which had been refurbished. Not ideal, but at least they were decorated to a reasonable standard and the bathroom fittings were fixed in place. I accepted his offer as it was my wifes birthday and didn't want to cause much of a fuss. We were told that the rooms would be available later that evening after the guests had checked out. We came back around 7pm and one of the rooms was in a terrible state. The bed clothes hadn't been changed, there was "debris" around the room and I found 2 cups and discarded tea bags in the bathroom. I was furious and rang the front desk immediately. In fairness, it was tidied up soon after and a half bottle of wine was sent up to our room as a gesture.

Another problem was the appearance of rats at the Yonge Street entrance to the hotel. I noticed this one evening and mentioned it to the staff at reception. The following evening, I was at the same entrance and saw 2 rats run out from the flower bed in front of the hotel over towards the outdoor eating area of the hotel's Market Garden restauarant. I know Toronto is a big city, but it's not really a selling point for a hotel to have rodent races at it's front door.

In summary, the hotel could do a lot better. It would bearly qualify as a three star hotel but hopefully after it's complete refurbishment things will improve. However, until this happens there should be a significant reduction in the room rates.

Room Tip: If you are placed in a room which hasn't been refurbished, insist on being moved.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GESDeltaCHE, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Bargainman,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I was disappointed to hear about your initial experience with the suite you have stayed in, and I sincerely apologize about that. I am glad our Front Office Manager was able to rectify the situation by offering 2 connecting rooms in our Deluxe section with dinner voucher and a bottle of wine. We also encourage our guests to report any concerns regarding insects or rodents, as we do have many restuarants around our hotel we take concerns as such very seriously to ensure our hotel is not affected.

We do hope that we will welcome you back for a better stay.

Guest Experience Specialist

Write a ReviewReviews (6,694)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed five nights at this hotel with a conference last week. First impressions with the lobby were favourable - and then we entered the room! First, the door key stuck (and it took 10 - 12 tries to enter the room EVERY time we left) The hotel had shut off its' air conditioner and the room was like a sauna - as the fan worked sporadically. The room itself was in terrible condition - a real blackeye for the Delta Chain. Outdated decor; (small television from the early 90's); stained carpet; etc., I understand that the Delta is in the process of updating - but they should have made the Chelsea a priority. The only saving grace about this hotel is the staff; everyone we dealt with were very professional. Won't be back.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that were updated a few years ago - ask for one of them...as they are a little...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear 50andlovingit53,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I apologize about the key card not working properly in your room lock, and I do hope that you had a chance to report it during your stay for it to be rectified. I also apologize about the state of your room. As you have mentioned, the hotel is being update stage by stage. I am glad to hear though that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have always had an amazing experience at the Delta Chelsea. The hotel is big, beautiful, and in the perfect location. The staff are beyond friendly and willing to ensure you have the most comfortable stay. The rooms are attractive, spotless, and have excellent views from the balcony. I will be back each and every time I visit Toronto.

1  Thank Stephanie P

Dear Stephanie P,

I would like to thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

I am very happy to hear about your recent experience with us at the Delta Chelsea. I am pleased that our team members have been able to make a difference during your stay and were welcoming and friendly. I am also glad that you enjoyed your room and the view.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hotel is tired. Rooms are dated, tired looking. Hallways are musty smelling. This hotel has definitely seen better days. First room was a deluxe double. Room furniture was damaged, zero artwork on the walls (in comparison to second room), and had a beautiful view of garbage and cigarette butts right outside the window. Second room was at least clean but was very hot. Thermostat is useless, can not be adjusted and we roasted. Vending machine in this floor was broken and we lost 4.00 in it for water. Valet parking was a waste of time and money. It took over 20 minutes to find someone to go get our car and when we joked with the Valet about it, he was rude and complained that he had to do the job of two people so what did we expect. Will not stay here again. This hotel needs a major refurbishment!

Room Tip: Stay away from the 4th floor, it is dark and dungeon like. The balconies are falling apart so those...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GESDeltaCHE, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear MikaJames,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our online review.

I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I do apologize that the first room provided was not up to par with cleanliness standards at the hotel, but it is great that our Front Office Team were able to switch your room. We operate on a one-pipe system and when the air turns cold suddenly, unfortunately, with the size of our building, it takes some time for the water to heat up and warm up our guest rooms. Although the problem is rectified when the weather stays cold we know that it can be uncomfortable for our guests who are staying with us during the change of season. As the heat has been turned on some of the rooms warmed up faster than the others. We do appreciate your patience as we go through this change during the seasons.
I sincerely apologize about the service you have received from our Valet team members, as it is simply unacceptable and the Department Head will be following up.

We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back for a better stay.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed at the Delta Chelsea for 7 nights. A few months ago, we spent 2 months next door at Minto Furnished Suites, which was next door to the Delta Chelsea. Our balcony actually overlooked the Delta. We returned back to Toronto for a 7 night stay, and decided to give the Delta Chelsea a try. From the outside, the hotel looks pretty nice. Being a Delta hotel, I had high expectations, which was probably my biggest mistake. We arrived on a Sunday at 9 pm. The lobby area was pretty busy, but the wait to check in was 5 minutes or so. The girl who checked in was very hard to comprehend. She did not speak english well. But I just nodded and smiled. We were put on the 17th floor. We had a Delta room with 2 double beds. The hotel is so large that there are 3 different sets of elevators for specific floors. Our set of elevators had 6 elevators, but we always had to wait quite a long time for one. Was strange as there were 6, and when the door opened, half the time when you were going back down to the main floor, the elevator was always packed, and would have to wait another 5 minutes for another one. Anyways, when we got to our floor, the hallways etc were very dated. Carpets were very worn out. I was quite surprised. We got into our room, and could not believe how small it was. There were the 2 double beds, the smallest old television I have ever seen in a long time... There was a desk in the corner, and thats it. I wanted to go out on the balcony, but after trying to open the balcony doors for a while, I gave up. Not sure what was up with that. In the morning I looked out of the balcony doors to see the cement breaking off the floor of the balcony and rebar showing. Okay, don`t want to try to go out there anymore. The lamp in the room would sizzle and flash on and off when you put it on. Was scary. The bathroom was also very dated. The tub had a steady drip, and was badly stained. Toilet was chipped. Little flies were flying around in the room when we arrived. Little dead ones laying on the bathroom counter... Was gross, and made me wonder why they were there in the first place. There was no airconditioning in the room. There was some sort of contraption on the wall, when we put the fan on, it would go on, unless we turned the thermostat up. So room was quite warm and stuffy. We asked for extra sheets which were there when we arrived. Beds were quite comfy, I can say that. Thats the only good thing. We ate at the market restaurant which was an expensive. Not sure why people were eating there when outside any entrance there were restaurants there that had better food for half the price. I also went to the monarch pub one evening. The waiter was so friendly. I had an order of calamari, and 2 glasses of cheap wine, and ended up with a 35 dollar bill. Not bad I guess.... A bit pricey... The lobby area is huge, and is always crazy busy from dawn till dusk. For 155 dollars a night, I think we were badly ripped off. We stayed for a week at Cambridge suite for less money, and stayed in a lovely one bedroom room.... Unless you can get this place for under 70 dollars, don`t stay. I have heard they are renovating, but they should do something with their pricing. Even renovated, our room was too much money. There are a lot of hotels near dundas square etc that are was nicer, and same price range... Also, Friday and Saturday nights are when the party animals book rooms, so be prepared to be up most of the night hearing doors opening and closing, and yelling in the hallways.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear rjjj_r,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay due to a few challenges you have experienced. We always encourage our guests to report any challenges to our Managers on Duty, especially if it has something to do with flickering lights or service. I do apologize that the condition of your room was not up to par with your expectations. While most of our rooms on lower floors have been renovated, we are currently scheduling the next phase of renovations for the rest of our rooms, which will include new TVs.
Regarding your concern of the rooms rate, due to the location of the hotel it is in higher demand thus the rates are also higher. I do apologize that the pricing was not satisfactory.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hotel is in a good location, have a 10 minute wait at check-in, staff were ok. Rooms were clean but a little tried and needed updating, Booked on hotwire and got a great deal on it. The airport coach shuttle drops off and picks up from the hotel which was a great. Pool is great after a long day sightseeing

Dear seacat123,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and were able to get a fantastic deal on hotwire.com. The location of the hotel is ideal to explore the downtown area of Toronto, as well as very close to many shops, restaurants, other attractions, and variety of transportation within the city, to and from the airport.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights and considering the Delta name, my expectations were somewhat high, however subsequently I was a little disappointed.
The reception area is very busy and noisy, which I suppose is to be expected as it is a pretty large hotel, however I was queueing for well over half an hour before I got to the front desk. In all fairness however the receptionist was very friendly and helpful.
The room I had was a little tired looking and a little out dated, however was reasonably clean and fairly spacious, however there was certainly nothing outstanding about the room.
Don't get me wrong this is not a 'bad' hotel and certainly is one of the cheaper, better value hotels in the downtown area and as a result it should definitely be considered if on a tighter budget, however do not expect anything like the luxury like you would get at places like the Sheraton or the Intecontinental etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Duststorm
GESDeltaCHE, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Duststorm,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am glad that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us. We have updated our rooms on the lower floors of the hotel and we continue to update. We are hoping to start the next phase of renovations soon in order to imporve our overall product. I do apologize about the disappointment you have experienced.

We do hope that we will welcome you back soon.