“Second visit to the Delta Chelsea in a few months”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was back at the Delta Chelsea for a two week business trip. The room I was given was different this time, as it contained a kind sized bed and a kitchenette. Although the tv was smaller, I didn't mind given that I wasn't there to watch tv anyway. Having a fidge, stove, and microwave in the room made my two week trip a bit bearable.

If you're going to stay there, sign up for the Delta Privilege program, as that gives you complimentary Wi-Fi (It's typically ~$14 per 24 hour period), and late checkout (6 pm vs. 11 am). Enrolling in the Delta Privilege program is free.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kmsultan
GESDeltaCHE, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I was happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our Delta Privilege membership. I am glad you have enjoyed the room and it was convenient for you as you stayed with us for two weeks and there is more space in the room with a kitchenette. As a company we aim to provide our guests with comfortable stay and excellent service.

We are looking forward to your next trip to the Delta Chelsea.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The price is very reasonable. The location is so handy - right on the subway, close to the Eaton Centre. The restaurants are first class. The food is delicious and the service couldn't be nicer. And the buffet - WOW!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MexicoFanatic

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was very pleased to hear that once again you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed the amenities of the Delta Chelsea Hotel. I am glad that you find the location convenient for shopping, restaurants and other attractions in Toronto.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hotel looks great from the entrance and lobby. Very soon it was apparent that all monies had been spent on first appearances and not on the rooms. Paint peeling of the ceilings, windows so dirty you could not see outside, wallpaper pealing of the walls, 1970's television and dated decor. After the 3rd room it was obvious that we had not just been unlucky with the first room but that they were all of the same condition.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew B

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was disappointed to hear that the condition of your room did not meet your expectations, and would like to apologize for the disappointment you felt. I can promise you that this does not represent the usual high level of service we work hard to provide our guests with. We have recently renovated all of our corridors and our guest rooms on the lower floors and continually upgrade our guest rooms and features. We have installed iPod docking stations and LCD flat screen TVs in the majority of our upgraded rooms and hope to finish the process soon.

We do hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

We at the Delta Chelsea under a medical rate because I recently had my knee replaced. The room given us was inappropriate for someone with mobility issues ,is a senior or is obese. The room had two small chairs a computer chair on wheels with no arms and a small low chair with no arms. It was difficult to get out of them and I wouldn't even try the one on wheels. Another point is the tub and shower had no grab bar as a result I could only sponge bathe. Please recognize the needs of your patron.The unsafe items mentioned puts everyone at risk. I was told that for an increase cost I could of stayed in a better room.
I also want to say that the service here is good and I have always received good value for my money.I will go again but I'll be more careful next time.

Room Tip: Check the amenties in your room if your senior first.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

I would like to take time to address your concerns regarding the safety grab bars. We do not have these in our standard rooms, we do offer wheelchair accessible rooms and partially accessible rooms. They have hand held showerheads, Safety Grab Bars in shower and around the toilet, lowered peepholes and a 34-inch wide entry door with one queen size bed. Partially accessible rooms come with a king, one queen or two double beds.Please inquire for your next reservation and I hope this information has been helpful.

We are looking forward to your next trip.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

We booked last minute and from the start it was a hit. When booking I found a cheaper price online and they matched and beat it by 10% after calling their reservation line.
When we arrived it was extremely busy (first day of March Break). Maria at the front desk was EXCELLENT quick and to the point when she found out it was my daughter's birthday she asked her name and said "happy birthday" -- it pays off!
When we got our room we went and signed up for swimming and saw what was available for kids to do. The hotel went out of their way to make this about them for March Break. After returning from walking around Toronto we found a surprise! They had delivered 2 glasses of milk and 2 cookies with a PERSONAL Birthday note for my daughter. IMPRESSED...
The entire stay was great friendly, clean and close to T.O hot spots- Eaton Centre and food etc...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank justjack16

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am very pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and that your daughter has enjoyed her Birthday with us. I am also proud of Maria for providing you with fantastic service and making you feel welcomed during a busy time such as March Break.

We hope to welcome you back soon for another stay.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Delta Chelsea is a nice hotel in downtown Toronto with a good reputation. I had stayed there once previously and had a great experience, so I expected the same this time. Me and my boyfriend arrived at 1pm and asked if we could check-in, which we could not. That was acceptable, as check-in wasn't until 3pm, but the Front Desk staff told us to come back in one hour and they would rush our room. Again, that was great. Upon return, we were told that our room was facing the construction across the street. We were tired and just wanted to lay down, so we didn't protest and went up to the room. I understand that it is not the hotel's fault that a condominium is being built across the street, but the noise level was absolutely unacceptable. Not only that, the room they put us in was old and dumpy. The TV was a tiny tube TV and the bedspread, curtains and carpet looked old and worn. I phoned Guest Services, requesting a room change and was told that the hotel had nothing else available. I protested that we were not paying the same rate as someone in one of the renovated rooms for this old, noisy room, and they put me on hold. When they came back, the woman I was speaking to told me they would put in a request for a new room for me, but would have to downgrade us from King Bed to a single Queen Bed. We were desperate to get out of our current room and agreed. She ensured me she would call me back and give me an approximate time the room would be ready. After 20 minutes, I phoned back and spoke to the same woman who said that she didn't call back because she didn't have a time for me. I mentioned that we had dinner reservations in just over an hour and would need to know if we should get ready and have the staff move our luggage to our new room, or if we should wait, move and then change. She again said she would phone back. Another 20 minutes pass and I phone again. This time I speak to a gentleman about the situation and he says that my room has been ready for a while and to come down to the Front Desk to get new keys. The new room they placed us in was great: no noise, new decor and it had a King Bed. I hate to think the worst of people, but I wonder if the woman at Guest Services lied to us about downgrading from a King to Queen bed to try to get us to remain in the first room.

I am really disappointed in the Delta Chelsea, mainly because I felt that my age was a factor in the service I received. Yes, I'm a young person and not a frequent traveler, but that doesn't mean that I don't deserve to be respected. I understand that the hotel has to fill all of its rooms to make profit, even the old rooms facing construction, but it really seemed like the staff did everything possible to keep us out of a "good" room. Once I fought back, there seemed to be good rooms available. However, no one should have to fight for decent service at hotel, regardless of their age.

Room Tip: Request to be in a new room. The old rooms face the construction and are disgusting!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kruser_11

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I apologize for the level of customer service you received and felt like you had to fight in order to get good service, and can certainly understand your disappointment. I have sent you concerns to our Rooms Division to follow up, as I can assure you this does not represent the level of service we aim to give our guests. I was pleased that the agent was able to find a room with a king size bed in the newly renovated section away from construction.

We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

You know what, if your going to Toronto for a break with the kids look no further than the Delta Chelsea.

They have a canteen style restaurant which does food from breakfast to evening meal which is great if you want something quick and don't want to sit down and eat. The main restaurants which are a bit tricky to find from the main reception are really good, food wise. The main restaurants are a bit of an over complicated set up, you go in and on the left is a kind of fine dinning area and ahead is the main body of the restaurant which are served by the same waiting staff and the menu's are the same... Bar that, food's great.

The rooms are big enough and comfortable but they are in need of a spruce up. The adult pool and gym on the top floor is a little tricky to find, and once you get there is nice and clean enough but the pool is only 20 feet long so swimming is a short affair.

The gym is well equipped and the view over Toronto takes your mind off the pain of running on the tread mills.

The kids area looked great, I was on business so didn't have the family with me but it looked like it had everything the would want in spade fulls.

It's really central to the downtown area so handy for shopping, sight seeing etc, it's just that little bit over complicated to find things and a little tired...

Room Tip: If you get a room with a balcony, don't go out onto it...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
GESDeltaCHE, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us.

I was pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us, and though you found the lay out a little bit complicated still managed to find the swimming pool and enjoy your time with us. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel 'tired looking', however we continue to upgrade the rooms and the areas of the hotel, unfortunately it takes a little bit longer with the size of the hotel. I have forwarded your comments and concerns to the Director of Rooms to review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel, and hopefully with your family to enjoy the family facilities on the second floor.