“Expected Better for the Price”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #61 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I realized I would arrive late for my Friday night check in and I called the 1-800 number at 11pm to make sure my reservation was still there. I was told I did not have a reservation until the next day, but there was space to get me a room that night. My email confirm stated I was to check in Friday.

When I got to the hotel I was forewarned that the lines in the lobby were unbelievable, but at 1am, they were not too bad. I wait for about 10 minutes (only 3 people in front) which seemed a little long. Two additional people returned while I was in line to state that the keys they had been given were for already occupied rooms. I was a little concerned.

The computer system was down all weekend, which meant one could not check his/her bill throughout the tv. I was very concerned about standing in line to check out.

On my first night, I was unable to drain the bath since the drain was not attached to the pulley. I left the water in the bath all night since i did not want assistance in the wee hours of the morning.

Most times during the day, the lobby is a scene from Las Vegas; absolutely mobbed.

I felt the charge for internet was inappropriate.

Highlights, my premier room was very attractive and spacious compared to the standard room. I enjoyed the balcony, which many big cities cannot offer. The elevator to my wing of the hotel was efficient. The Elm Bar offered good service and drinks, although slightly overpriced. The location is excellent. In room dining was very good and worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed October 15, 2007

Booked the Delta Chelsea through Globespan in Scotland. Was shown as a four star hotel but as they say 'don't judge a book by it's cover'. The outside and the lobby area were okay but beyond that much of the hotel barely should have qualified for three stars. We were allocated a room of the ninth floor and on opening the door immediately smelt the stale cigarette smoke. The room decor was stuck somewhere in the 1980's and was in need of a complete makeover. Peeling paper, stained carpets, yellowing paintwork, cracked tiles and a disgusting balcony littered with cigarette ends despite the hotel being non-smoking. The room had an adjoining door to the next room through which could be heard every word of the occupants and they also smoked in the room with the smell drifting through to our room. Complaining to reception we were assured this would be dealt with but nothing changed.
The corridors I saw were tired and in need of redecoration and the breakfast restaurant was similar to a school canteen with the addition of being overpriced.
I would not recommend the Delta Chelsea unless they made considerable improvements.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dexbro
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This is the third time we've stayed here. For this occasion we got a good rate through the hotel, but we decided to get an upgraded room for an additional $ 20.00. For this room we got a balcony facing Younge Street, a slightly bigger room and upgraded amenities. The room was nicely decorated; new linens and duvets, brand new bathroom fixures and spa products. The last two rooms were not an issue, they were decent and clean, except the rooms are on the small side.
We love the location and facilities more than anything else. I love having an adult only pool and gym; it's located on the tallest floor so you get an awseome view of Toronto while you're relaxing in the jacuzzi. They have always been clean and quiet every time I use the facilities. And the family pool and waterslide is fun to use, too. We have yet to bring our daughter here, but we will since they have child care and programs.
The location is awesome, just a mere two blocks from Eaton Centre and walking distance for many attractions.
I know the other reviews are mixed, but we've had no issues with this hotel. The rooms, although clean, do need an upgrade, and many of them are upgraded as of now.
When booking a room, ask for a newer room; they're very nice.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank sylvie.mac
Reviewed October 8, 2007

Got a fantastic deal on Hotwire ($49/nite Cdn) for the two nites we stayed. The rate was for 2 double beds in one of their non renovated rooms. It would have been an additional $45/nite to upgrade to one of their deluxe rooms with a king bed in the newly renovated section. We arrived around 10:30am and were given a complimentary upgrade to the deluxe room as the attendant adivsed they weren't busy that morning. I highly recommend joining their Delta Privilege program on-line. It is free and when you get to the hotel look for the Delta Privilege desk and you get faster check in service and avoid the line-ups at the regular check in counter. We were given the upgrade because of being members!! The deluxe room had a down duvet comforter, bath robes and a nice bathroom with marble vanity.

Even though we travelled without kids this trip, we still enjoyed the kids pool with the corkscrew waterslide. The adult pool was great and you could see the CN tower from the pool. We didn't use the fitness facilities but they were located at the adult pool on the 27th floor and offered a great view while working out. For a Friday night, we thought the pools would be very busy with 1500+rooms, but there were less than 10 people at the kids pool (7pm) and only 1 person at the adult pool when we arrived and noone working out!

It is within walking distance of everything downtown. We took in a Leafs game and walked both to and from the Air Canada Centre...about 20 minutes. Only 2 blocks to the Eaton Centre. We walked to St. Lawrence Market too. The Airport Express bus was great and an economical way to get to/from the Airport in comfort ($29.50 round trip). You can save an additional 10% by buying tickets on line. There is a wicket at the Airport in the Arrivals section where you can purchase the tickets. There is a link on the Delta Chelsea site to the Airport Express website.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants on site, but there are lots to pick from around the hotel.

Overall, we were very impressed with our Hotwire "deal" of $49/nite! Would stay there again for sure. The staff were extremely friendly.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bluenoser2007
Reviewed October 7, 2007

Spent 3 nights in Toronto recently whilst visiting some friends. As it was my first visit to the city i decided on the Delta Chelsea and was not dissapointed.

it took 15 mins to get up to the counter in line to check in but the guy was very corteous and even told me he'd try and get me as high up as he could without me even asking him! I ended up on an 11th floor room in the Green tower. it was nice but a little worn in the bathroom and as people have mentioned a little small. The June jacobs tolietries were a nice touch and i have to admit the hotel room was pretty quiet despite the fact there are so many other rooms nearby!

For a basic room i thought the TV was tiny and kind of aged (51cm) but nonetheless they had a good selection of channels. The staff were polite on the whole and the only concern i had was one night returning late from a day and night of sightseeing to have a drunk woman sprawled across the hallway talking loudly into her cellphone. I would have thought security would have come up and told her to move along.

Lobby is huge and i often got lost looking for my elevators, People were always in there at any time of Day or Night. Just watch the Yonge St entrance, I had a beggar accost me as i stepped out one day and i noticed him the next day lurking around that doorway waiting for people to come out.

I never got to use the pool or gym as i only used the hotel for sleeping, But i would definitely return. My only advice to them would be to renovate the rooms!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Harvsman
Reviewed September 30, 2007

The only good thing about this hotel is it's location in downtown Toronto. It looks nice from the lobby and exterior but the rooms are not worth the price. It's too expensive (usually $215/night) and so not worth the value. For that price, I expected a 4-5 star hotel. My room was small with cracked tiles in bathroom, and my designer shirt was stolen from the closet. When I reported my loss at the front desk, the woman told me to call housekeeping myself. I spoke with the manager and they promised to get back to me. Never did. The staff are not helpful at all. Also, the first day I went to ask if they had a room available at the front desk, and was told even though there was one available on the 17th floor, I should make reservations from the hotel's phones. What's the point? If I'm at the hotel at the check in/ front desk- why do I have to call from a phone to make reservations??? Also, the 17th floor is ugly. The carpets are crumpled, dirty dishes in the hallway from the morning that don't get picked up. Peeling paint, etc. Really at $215/night? It's a 2-3 star hotel at its best.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Hotel was well maintained and clean. It is a little out of the way
from entertainment district. Great restaurants on elm street just across from the hotel. a bit seedy on young street for the price may stay again but would check other hotels first.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple