“Amazing place--ignore bad reviews!”

Grand Hotel & Suites
Ranked #28 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I researched online to find the perfect hotel. My boyfriend and I were staying in TO and wanted a nice, not too pricey hotel. This one was perfect for us. Cheaper than most of the hotels in Toronto, it was a very positive experience. The staff is soo friendly, the rooms are perfectly clean and of good size. The best part would be the rooftop--two jacuzzis and a large screen TV overlooking beautiful Toronto. It couldn't have been better. Before leaving I read other people's reviews, and I was nervous, but I found none of them were true. As for the SECURITY issue---there is underground parking with a closed door only accessible by those staying at the Grand, so it was as secure as could be. DEFINETLY STAY HERE, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank swilli63
Write a ReviewReviews (2,081)

Reviewed April 21, 2007

We arrived at the hotel early approx 1pm and checked in with no problem.
Our deluxe suite room was lovely and the beds and pillows were so comfortable.

We later found out that the hotel just borders on the red light district and there was a hotel which looked like a strip bar opposite but we never had any problem and we never saw any undesireables.

Although we only stayed one night we walked back from town at approx 11pm with no problem.

Someone mentioned the begging outside the hotel but we didn't see any, although there are beggars laying in the streets in other areas of toronto.

The hot tub on the roof was what made us go to the hotel but unfortunately we didn't get to try it or the pool because i was ill.

When we were checking out i was very unwell and fainted in reception and my husband asked for help from the staff who were very good.

I didn't get to try breakfast but my husband was there for 1 1/2 hours so it must have been good.

We would definately go back to tis hotel again

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank swellings
Reviewed March 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Grand during March break of 2006. We loved our stay so much that we returned mainly for the beautiful pool. We have lived in Toronto all of our lives and know the city very well. We were aware that this hotel is in the worst location in the city. When we arrived, we were hounded and followed all the way to the front door for money. We looked out our room window to see unsavoury people walking around the parking lot trying to break into cars. We informed the desk . They have not security on the grounds. The underground parking lot that the hotel offers is VERY VERY narrow and most vehicles come out scratched and or dented. We recently purchased ournew van and thought one evening that we would not risk the damage to this new vehicle. The hotel has posted signs that indicate outside parking is not overnight. We would have wanted to have been advised that leaving the car in the parking lot would have serious consequences. Since the parking lot is not gated, many of the wondering street people come in to look for money in the parked cars. Our van's windows were smashed. There really was nothing to take. Our vacation was ruined. We had to return home. Although the manager was sympathetic, she offered no compensation and said that this problem is prevalent. Such a shame. The hotel is beautiful, clean, and staff is friendly. The $1000 damage to our van could have been avoided if the hotel had better security in such a drug-infested neighbourhood. Guests should be warned. Grand hotel but don't risk it.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank mominparis
Reviewed March 6, 2007

For the money- this hotel is a great bang for your buck.
It is fancy but you will pay much less then other TDOT hotels and still walk away feeling like a star!!
*Grand deluxe Room is great for a 2 adult 2 kid family.
*Complimentry Full Breakfast, inroom movies and beautiful linens make it extra special.
*Rooftop hottubs and the outdoor nightly movies are the best on a cold winter night (if you dare)

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank teenagesloth_prod
Reviewed February 27, 2007

Was very disappointed in the mis-representation of this hotel. I called before traveling to Toronto and was told this is a "kid friendly hotel". Never have I stayed in a more un-kid freindly hotel. The pool was too deep in the shallow end for my 8 year old, who loves to swim, which was the reason to booked here. Very dissappointed about the depth. The hot tube was too cold. The roof was not shoveled (snow) to get the the roof hot tub. The breakfast was fair but the atmosphere very formal for breakfast. Again not kid friendly. They would not provide a tray to carry food up to my husband who was not ready to go to the dinning room at breakfast time. My son is a very slow eater and we couldn't bring the rest of his meal up to finish at his leasure. Do not stay here with kids. We had a great view of a hotel the rents by the hour. Not for children!

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Normally I wouldn't take the time to write a review on my experiences somewhere, but this hotel gave me reason too. This hotel had been recommend to us by some friends for the breakfast but we had a different experience.
I hold an Entertainment card, in which the Grand advertises 50% off the "rack rate". I'm not really into the lingo of hotel ad's but when I wanted to use my card for a discounted rate, I was told it amounted to $10 off a $200 dollar room. When I questioned the front desk they said "oh, ok we'll give you $20 off".
The breakfast was nice. But there were so many staff standing around and no one really talked to us or brought us the bill. We had to ask for it ourselves.
The housekeepers were really nice. Always smiling and saying "hello". When we requested clean towels we waited an hour because somehow the request hadn't been put through. The beds are comfortable, but the walls are scuffed and the curtains were filthy.
Our stay wasn't so horrible as it could've been. But on the whole we felt ignored by staff, and any concerns we had were neglected. No one seemed really happy to be working there and never once did we see a manager on the property. Sorry, but it just wasn't that nice.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Online-Contributor
Reviewed October 20, 2006

We have just returned from a superb stay at The Grand (2 adults & 2 kids aged 18 & 11). From the moment we checked in till the moment we left the staff were excellent, particularly Alex & Lito the doormen. Nothing seemed too much trouble for anyone at the hotel, despite what I have read elsewhere. Our accommodation was first class (thanks for the upgrade) with 2 en suite bathrooms which suited us perfectly. The amenities at The Grand are fantastic - the rooftop hot tubs are a must and the pool & gym are both excellent. Our complimentary breakfast set us up nicely each day, with a good selection for all tastes. The only downside to the hotel (which is compensated for by the service & amenities) is the surrounding area. This is scruffy & rundown, with a few homeless hostels nearby, which resulted in lots of beggars hanging around. We didn't experience any bother with these guys but it wasn't conducive to a night-time stroll to take in the sights. Overall, I would have no hesitation in recommending The Grand, and if I return to Toronto, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family