“Oasis in the heart of the city.”

Grand Hotel Toronto
Ranked #22 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Syracuse, New York
“Oasis in the heart of the city.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary in Toronto and stayed at the Grand. After reading somewhat mixed reviews, I must admit I was nervous. I am happy to report, however, that this hotel exceeded my expectations. It is a quiet little gem in the city. The bed was super comfortable, the room was so quiet (even though the hotel was packed), the hot tub on the roof overlooking the city was amazing, not to mention the staff who remember your name and genuinely care about your experience. Karen at the front desk was amazing, and made our anniversary trip wonderful. Our only regret is not planning a longer stay! Thanks for a memorable experience! We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erin D
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Erin D,

Its so great to see that we had exceeded your expectations during your stay in Toronto and thank you for allowing us to be part of your special occasion ! I will be sure to share your great comments with Karen and the other staff members at the hotel !

Erin D, I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon and be sure to stay longer this time !!

Greg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

perfect stay! loved it here. nice staff, clean and spacious rooms. comfortable beds, great (!) pool, lovely terasse with jacuzzies, good bar for tasty pre dinner drinks and very (!) tasty food @ citrus

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank luke_sch
Dear luke_sch,

It was a pleasure welcoming you to the hotel and we appreciate that you took the time to share your review and experience with others and we are so pleased that you had enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future !

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Yesterday sept 26th I was meeting friends who had checked in just after noon, I was coming in at 1 pm. I went to the desk, a man was checking in , he was told $400 deposit, he said he had been staying there for 6 years,never a deposit,he would not pay it. He was very mad, desk waived deposit, he checked in , left very upset. I asked desk had my friends checked in, they had, phoned room ,not there. I asked desk was there a message for me , "no". I left message when they came in, I would be reading in my van in outdoor parking. They had gone to market, left room key and my name at the desk. They returned went to desk, asked had I arrived," no",any messages "no". They went to the room wondering where I was, at 2.10 pm looked out window , saw the the roof of my van, came and got me. Went to the desk asked what the hell was going on? Told not their fault, given back key and 3 drink tickets. We went to the room, called room service, ordered 3 beer, told them we had 3 drink tickets from the desk , told" no problem". Beer comes told " drink tickets no good for room service". This hotel is not cheap, Is there anyone in this hotel with " unsurpassed service" who knows what they are doing besides the doormen who were friendly and helpful?

Room Tip: rooms on south side better view of the lake
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PhilN,

Thank you very much your comments and sharing your feedback with us and other Trip Advisor members. We are sorry to hear about your experience as this is not the standard that we hold ourselves too. I'll be sure to share your comments with the respective team members at the hotel.

Again, thank you for your comments !

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Booked this through booking.com and was displeased that the website didn't clarify to us that the rate we were paying was actually only for two adults, not the three of us that actually stayed as we had booked. If we had known that, we would have gone elsewhere from the start. Please sort out clarification issues with the website and thank you.

Otherwise, the hotel itself is rather clean - definitely not in the best parts of Toronto - the area around it is a little on the shady side but you really can't necessarily improve the location much at this stage.

Repetitive breakfast: having had the exact same breakfast buffet options for the whole two weeks of our stay was really not an enjoyable experience - that said, the home fries were to die for! One of the waiters seemed to be ignoring our table in purpose and this went on on more than one occasion however the restaurant manager did take care in making sure we received an apology and assured us that he was reprimanded.

Fitness centre could use a great deal more care. The pool is good. The rooftop spas are also lovely and relaxing with a phenomenal view of downtown Toronto which is probably the positive element of the shady location the hotel is in.

Shuttle service into downtown is okay, we didn't need it often as the hotel was minutes from Eaton Centre so we only used it the last day as we had luggage to the train station.

Rooms a little on the small side for the three of us, perhaps we should have upgraded? And lighting in the bedroom side was horrendous and not conductive to any reading, please do something about it and add more light near the bathroom door vicinity and on that side of the bed.

WiFi became rather unstable during our stay, business centre computers were blocking websites such as viarail.ca which made absolutely no sense.

Stayed August 2013
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel Toronto, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
flyout101, thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Toronto, it was a pleasure having you with us for two weeks!

Toronto is a very multicultural city with many pockets, it makes it a vibrant and diverse city!

Thank you for your review, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the rooftop and pool. I will also pass your suggestions and share this with our team!

flyout101 I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Toronto!

Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel is very good, though I do agree with some reviews about the area but it is centrally located, close to downtown which is a plus.

The hotel itself is very nice, has an old world charm to it, rooftop hot tubs are amazing, especially after a long day of walking around. Free buffet breakfast is nice. The staff is great- the bellman and the front desk staff- very helpful and friendly. Defintely would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Donna46602,

Thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure having you stay with us at the hotel!

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the rooftop and the hot tubs while the weather has been sunny and warm in Toronto!

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Toronto!

Humansdorp, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had a "grand delux" room which had a small kitchenette which was nice.Very small bathroom but adequate.Room also small..there is no place for a side table at the one side of the doublebed which is not comfortable.Nice terrace up top with small pool and tub.Free Wi-Fi in rooms.Great breakfast included in price with nice outside seating.We had a hire car and valet parking was provided.Walked around the area and to the Eaton Centre without problems although we did see homeless people we never felt in any danger(hey we are South Africans after all..!)Made use of their business centre which had everything one could need.All in all a good place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tokkelosh,

Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to Toronto!
I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed all the facilities as well as the rooftop!

I hope that you had a safe trip back home and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Toronto!

Warmest regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

The room we had was a Deluxe and it was very spacious. Cleaned thoroughly every day and requests dealt with quickly.
All if the staff could not have been more helpful or friendly.
The area is not the best but is being rejuvenated currently.
There is a Salvation Army hostel just down the road and quite a few homeless folk in the area. Didn't feel threatened in any way tho.
The pool is big enough to have a swim in.
Great breakfasts and only a 10 minute walk from Dundas-Yonge centre!

• Stayed September 2013
FloraG, it was a pleasure welcoming you to the hotel and having you stay with us!
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the pool and your stay at the hotel!

Thank you very much for sharing your review!

We hope to welcome you back again in the future!