“A Poor Choice”

Quality Hotel & Suites Airport East
Ranked #115 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was travelling to Denmark and had to layover in Toronto for one night. Unfortunately I chose this hotel, mainly because of price. I arrived at the airport at 9 p.m and went to the hotel shuttle stop. I called the hotel for pick up and waited about 45 minute before a bus came. The bus then went to the next terminal and picked up more passengers. By the time I got to the hotel it was 10.30. I complained about the long wait and was given a voucher for a free breakfast as compensation. I just had time for one beer at the bar before it closed. The room was a good size but in desperate need of updating and a good cleaning. It smelled musty.
Next morning I went to the restaurant for my free breakfast and gave the waitress my voucher. It was a buffet. Pretty basic with sausages, bacon, homefries and scrambled eggs but it looked ok. I loaded up and sat down to eat. Everything was stone cold so I left it. As I left the waitress asked me to pay and I reminded her that I had a voucher but that I would not have paid anyway as it was inedible.
I decided to go to the airport and get some breakfast there. I asked the receptionist about the shuttle. She snapped that I should have booked a time earlier but the bus would be there in 20 minutes and took my name. When the bus came there were only two other passengers so it wasn't exactly overbooked.
This will be the first and last time that I stay there.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and stay at a different hotel. There are many better ones in the area to choose...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bazz11
gmqualityhotel, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Suites Airport East, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have never writen a horrible review but this hotel was a nightmare from the beginning. The only thing it had going for it was it was cheap - so yes you do get what you pay for. The facts of our stay: Car had to be parked offsite and the car ended up being closer to the airport than we were, shuttle only runs every 45 min and the time we needed was already full. We had an early morning flight and were travelling with two young kids. The manager finally met with us and attempted to right some of the issues, including being able to keep an overnight bag in one of their secured rooms. Because of issues during check-in, we double checked that everything would be fine for our return stay where we were arriving at 3 am. When we called for shuttle, we were told that we didn't have a reservation so they would not be sending a shuttle. We rather strongly suggested that they should send the shuttle and we would deal with it then. The man we dealt with was rude and said it was our fault and we misunderstood. Because it is 3 am on the 6th for hotel purposes it is actually the 5th and thats why we don't have reservations. There were further issues then with getting our bag back and getting the shuttle back to our car in the morning. Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere, horrible way to start and end a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations.
The staff and I are committed in offering our guest great service and comfortable accommodations. In your situation we did not deliver on our promise. We messed up! Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last minute after returning from a weeks vacation only to find a dead car in park and fly. We went thru booking.com and got a great deal for a queen room ($70!) the front desk attendant was super empathetic and friendly, and got us checked in right away. The rooms are nice, not fancy, but have everything you need. The bed was super comfy, the tv gets lots of channels, free wi-fi, and a coffee maker. There is a restaurant on site, which was a big deal to us who were starving and stranded after a long day of traveling! The restaurant also offers room service for no additional charge. There is also a small fitness centre with brand new equipment. Again, not fancy, but enough to get a good workout in. I would definitely stay here again if I needed to be out by the airport in Toronto.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are looking forward to providing you pleasant accommodations and service the next time you are in town.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have stayed in this hotel before, so knew what I would get.

This time, we were leaving on vacation so wanted to get a stay and fly package near the airport.

The hotel room itself was fine - basic but clean enough, and the price was right.

We found the front desk staff friendly enough but the check in process was slow. The efficiency was not what I am used to at other hotels.

The stay and fly package was misleading - although in their ad they say you 'might' need to park offsite, we were not told in advance any details of what this means. For any of you considering it, they have an arrangement with Skyway Parking, near the airport. It is not that close to the airport, so it is another stop you need to make after checking in, or on your way to the airport early in the morning.

The staff and service from Skyway was very good, have no complaints. And, it was included in the price we paid for the room. All in all it was fine, but I think the hotel could do a better job outlining that relationship to begin with.

Room Tip: In the past I have had issues with WiFi connectivity in rooms that were at the ends of the floor. T...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
gmqualityhotel, General Manager at Quality Hotel & Suites Airport East, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at our hotel.
Your feedback is very important in providing us with information from our guest’s comments and experiences. We have shared your observations with entire staff to ensure we progress on our guest’s experiences. I hope you come back and give our hotel another chance to serve you better.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked this hotel, because we were flying to Miami to get married, and we liked the fact that we could park at the hotel, for the 7 days we were on vacation, Right when we arrived at 3:40pm (for our 3:00pm check in) we were informed that our Parking would be 5 Kms away OFFSITE, at a parking site called Skyway parking , I asked if there were any ONSITE parking spaces left, the boy at the desk said NO (i dcrove around back and found 11 open parking spaces with about 30 full ones. THEN to make matters worse, my fiance went to our booked room with our infant, (as we didnt want to have to take our infant to the parking 5kms away then be driven back by shuttle.) so my fiance went to our room ONLY to find 2 double beds when we specifically had a resrvation for a queen or king, upon telling this to the boy at the desk he said we would have to pay extra? we said that we booked a queen, he then looked at reservation then said oh, I thought with 3 people in room you would have wanted 2 doubles (so which was it, did he know or make a mistake, he then gave us another room with a queen bed.

NOW the worst part: we checked out the next morning, and I paid for the room with my debit card in FULL, then i get down to Florida, and attempt to use my mastercard (which was CHARGED for $139.99??? My original reservation was for $113.99?? so I was double charged. The embarrassing reason I found out was I went to pay for the remaining balance for the wedding gift I had bought for my Fiance and i was told my mastercard was declined...as the gift was $600 and because of the double charge, i was short $140. wow was I pissed, and embarrassed , so I had to go get some American money and pay the difference, SO if you want the wrong room, an onsite parking that ends up being 5kms away, and to be double charged then this hotel is the one... stay away and book any other hotel than the quality inn east airport..

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gordon M
gmqualityhotel, Manager at Quality Hotel & Suites Airport East, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

I would like to thank you for sending in your review on your recent stay here.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The hotel was close to the airport - although it did still take 15 minutes in the shuttle. The free shuttle was the main reason we stayed here and that came on time and got us to the airport on time.
Upon arriving at the airport it took almost half hour to check in, despite it being New Years Eve they only had 2 people on the desk and they were in no hurry to check people in. Once I made it to the desk, they didn't have my reservation and even after showing my booking reference they couldn't locate the actual reservation but had a record of me booking via the website. They did give me a room at the cost I had booked. The room itself had 2 double beds, both of which were very worn with spring sticking into our backs. The television was very old and this was a huge disappointment, as we both enjoy a flat screen as the quality is much better. We set a wake up call, which never happened, so we are very glad we set our phone as a back up.
If I could get this hotel again for $50 I MIGHT stay here but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice during our recent trip to the Caribbean, although the price was good - it wasn't worth it. The room was dirty (chewed gum was found) & the staff were very rude (made us feel like we were ruining their evening by checking in). You have to call the shuttle for a pickup, which I guess is okay - but the driver was rude too! He wouldn't even wait one moment for us to install our infant car seat (it really does just take a minute) then proceeded to drive like a maniac all the way back (and we say that after being in St. Lucia where there are a lot of insane drivers).

We'd spend a little more and go elsewhere next time. Only good thing was the cost, and they did provide a free infant cot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family