“First time at Novotel”

Novotel Toronto North York
Ranked #54 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Picked this hotel because it was right next to the subway and not far from the airport and downtown. Price is reasonable. Room is quiet and modern, not outdated like some of the downtown hotels. This is my first stay at Novotel, would recommend.

Room Tip: Get the breakfast package - good variety, all you can eat, free for kids.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
Michael S, General Manager at Novotel Toronto North York, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thanks for your positive feedback, if only we could be consistent all the time. However glad you recommended the breakfast inclusive packages, it is really a great deal, 2 kids under 16 sharing their parents room get breakfast free!!
Thanks for choosing Novotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

The only positives about this hotel are its location (close to the subway; it's less than a 5 minute walk) and cleanliness. The breakfasts are fine; nothing spectacular but edible.

Problems began at check in. I was informed that this was a non-smoking hotel (fine) and replied that I don't smoke so that wasn't an issue. The woman at the desk insisted on competing her recitation of the consequences of smoking in the hotel, and when I repeated that I did not smoke at all, I was given a very dirty look that basically said she didn't believe me. Not a pleasant first impression.

The elevators are something out of Tower of Terror; they badly need maintenance as they shudder, doors open before the floor is reached, and many of the buttons are non-functional. The foyers (well, floor 16's, anyway) are dirty and some of the furniture and the phone are graffitied. On the first night in my room, my television wouldn't turn on. No problem, I called the front desk and they said they'd send someone to fix it. An hour later, no one had shown up, so I called again, and someone was sent up to fix it (side note: no television guides. I couldn't find ANYTHING). Also the first night, there was some sort of concert. From 16 floors up, I could hear EVERYTHING, and it went quite late so I was kept awake. Not pleasant. Also, the WiFi. There essentially isn't any. The free WiFi only works mid day, early morning, and very late at night. It's not even strong enough to properly check emails.

The second day, I was eating dinner in my room and I hear my door jiggling. I went over and looked through the peephole and found someone trying to get into my room, and their card worked! Fortunately I had the deadbolt on the door, but goodness knows what would've happened if I hadn't been there (all my valuables could easily have been stolen if they're giving room keys away willy-nilly).

For the cost, I expected far better from this hotel. I will certainly not be returning.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Or at least try to get a room that's not on the side facing the performing a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Liza4444

Oops!! Thanks for the feedback, I'm disappointed to read your comments, more so because i think we could have helped make things right during your stay, and leave you with a better impression of us. What i can tell you know is that the elevator issues have now been fixed and our upgrade of the TV's to HD has been completed... what a great picture! I'd really like to know the room you stayed in so i can follow up about the door security... our system stores all key swipes and can also tell us who issued the card, which all helps us have greater security.
I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay, however really want to stress to you that we are working hard to improve... every day.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Overall, I would give this hotel a 3 rating; however the friendly staff and convenient location easily bumped it up to a 4. The rooms are small and there aren't enough drawers and storage for 2 people. That seems to be fairly standard these days. The mattresses are firm, but fairly comfortable. We were a little startled to find that there were no top sheets, just a duvet. When we requested extra sheets on the bed, the staff obliged. Problem solved.

We did not eat at Trio, however the lounge was a pleasant place to sit and talk, have a glass of wine and an appetizer.

The hotel is extremely convenient with a subway station two levels below, banks, a food court and a parking garage.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joan C
Michael S, General Manager at Novotel Toronto North York, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of Trio Restaurant. It is proving to be a very popular "watering hole" with the local residents. It offers great original cocktails, local; wines and a great choice of apps with friendly team members.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

PROS: Great location, good size beds, good food at the restaurant should you decide that. Customer service is great - very nice at the front desk. Was offered some cool perks like free wifi and the choice between free breakfast or free parking. I don't know if this is because it was a group rated visit due the occasion or if it is offered to all clientele.

CONS: Antiquated rooms, awful carpeting even in the conference room. Entire hotel in dire need of a renovation. PUBLIC WASHROOMS are opaque, weird spaces with off coloring and outdates toilets, flooring.

Was there for a two day conference and stayed one night. Luckily, didn't need to stay much in my room. I've been at some great Novotels in Europe and this was not one of them however it's bearable.

Room Tip: Go higher up. Anything above 14 might cost more. I believe 15 or 16 and over is executive lodging.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you made positive observations about the team and the service. I tell them all , they have little control over the fabric of the building, however they can ensure rooms are immaculately clean and offer great service.. and that is waht the team try to achieve everyday. Thanks for highlighting.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here recently for 4 nights....bed was comfy but the hallway carpet look dingy as
well as the carpet in the room. There was construction all over the place but the location
was good. So there was good and bad.....staff was friendly. Just seems like things needed
to be upgraded a bit. And the toilet? Very weird.....the back of it was almost behind the
sink.
Anyway....the location was good, near Yonge Street.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for your feedback. Lots of construction in North York, mind you the whole of Toronto is like a building site! New condo's being built all over the city. I'm pleased the the construction in our immediate vicinity is just about finished and the final touches are now being completed.I'm looking forward to see the Gibson Gardens directly across from us being landscaped in the next few weeks.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

If you want to be in North York, this is one of the best options. Added advantage is the subway very conveniently located. As my business was in Landing square , North York, this hotel superbly fitted.
Good room with a clean bath room. Simple but enough

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank plpalani
Michael S, General Manager at Novotel Toronto North York, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for your positive comments. Once again I have to emphasize our location and the great City of North York, well it was a city before the formation of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area, now we are the "uptown" area of the city. Great access from all major highways, and sitting on the subway line to the downtown core.
Come and visit us "above the 401".

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I took this hotel when I was visiting the P&G office in North York.

This hotel is extremely convenient as it is 15 minutes walk and it is right above a metro/subway/underground line so it's good to get where you need to be. However, this IS far from downtown -- about 45 minutes by train, so take this only if you want a cheaper place to stay.

The hotel room was clean and nice -- well maintained and the room was cleaned regularly and well.

The reception staff was passable, professional but not very friendly.

The gym was good.

I didn't have a chance to explore the swimming pool or the restaurant.

I'm giving this a 4 star because it gave what I needed: convenience, cleanliness and cost effectiveness

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the front -- ideally on the 14th floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank deepfern

Good feedback, thanks, P&G one of our favorite clients, just 200 yards down the road.
I suppose it does depend on time of day, and the day itself, when going downtown... on a good day 25 minutes on the TTC and in rush hour up to 45., just be aware of the time you need to be there.