“Wedding Party @ Novotel Hotel”

Novotel Toronto North York
Ranked #63 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Wedding Party @ Novotel Hotel”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I booked a few rooms for our family, bridal party and wedding guests for the weekend of our wedding in April 2014.

Alla, the sales manager was very kind & accommodating from the very first interaction we had with her. Her emails were very prompt when we were inquiring about prices and rooms and she was always available for assistance.

On the day we visited the hotel to take a look around, one of the other managers guided us through the hotel to take a look at all their amenities and also took us to see how each room they had available. It was nice that they took the time to do that and we didn't feel rushed nor pushed to book with them.

The weekend of the wedding; the rooms were very clean and tidy. The staff was amazing!
They were all so friendly and polite and accommodated all our needs (bridal party & wedding guests).

Alla even went over and beyond for us when she assisted us in booking a room for our honeymoon. She booked a 2-night stay at the Novotel in Athens.

We will definitely stay here again and can rely on the Novotel chain of hotels.
The rates are average but the staff and cleanliness of the rooms are great!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Michael S, General Manager at Novotel Toronto North York, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thanks for sharing your positive comments. Have to say Alla is a great asset to the team, she has worked in Front Desk, Catering and has joined the Sales Team this year.I just love seeing great young team members develop their skills in different areas of the hotel.
Thanks again, Cheers, Michael.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
vancouver, bc
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My 4 year old son and I stayed here for 8 nights while visiting family nearby. On the whole? Meh. I've stayed at the King Edward, Harbour Castle Westin, Sheraton Centre in the past and much preferred their customer service.

GOOD POINTS: The location at the North York Civic Centre subway stop was extremely convenient. It's about 25- 30 minutes ride to Yonge & Bloor. The hotel itself is enclosed with an office tower on either side, new food court and public library. You can access the subway, food court and even Starbucks without even going outside! Across the street is a shopping centre with a grocery store, movie theatre and a liquor store. A ten minute walk south brings you to another shopping centre that includes a Winners. Mel Lastman Square is right beside it. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance.

I booked a standard king size room through the Novotel site as the total price I paid was lower than other sites. The website advertised a kids corner and so I thought it would be a better choice than other places. We checked in late at night but no one mentioned any child friendly amenities at all. I did ask for a room higher up both on the reservation site and the desk but was told none was available. But the 7th floor was fine and our room was located next to an ice machine, but it was not noisy at all.

The room was sparse but sufficient. The decor was well, uninspired. I had already read Trip Advisor and viewed the rooms online so I wasn't expecting anything different. It was very clean and smelled fresh. I thought it odd that the king sized bed only had 3 pillows, but I called down and an extra one was provided promptly. The bed was comfortable. It would have booked a bigger room if my husband had been with us as it would have been very tight in there( with our luggage) for one week. The housekeepers were warm and friendly every time I saw them and provided extra towels when needed. They also respected the do not disturb sign and had the room made up quickly. The room provides a nice flatscreen TV, room safe, mini fridge and coffee/tea maker.

NOT SO GOOD: Standard rooms are quite small and not enough room to unpack your things for 2 adults. Also, there was only one outlet on ONE side of the bed. Not great if you both have laptops and phones that need charging. The other outlet on top of the desk didn't work so I had to use the one by the coffeemaker to charge my son's device. The staff were professional and courteous but I'd have to say, customer service definitely lacked warmth. Since the front desk faces mainly the entry door and they rarely seem to move from behind the desk, I did not see any security. Anyone can walk in from the public back doors and go up in the elevator. When I checked out, I questioned the $1.05 charge for one phone call I made on the phone while my cell was charging. I actually read the brochure detailing the services and did not see it mentioned anywhere nor was it posted on the phone. The clerk told me it was there, but really, how many times do I have to read the fine print to find it listed? She did remove the charge.

I did mention that I could not read the digital clock when all the lights were off so was wondering if it was working as it should (it helps a traveller who has crossed a time zone to know what time it is in a darkened hotel room, right?) and the gentleman at the desk ( supervisor, manager?) said he would look into it and that was the last I heard about it. I also noticed a display in the corner by the elevators of amenities and toys for kids and asked the manager about it but he said he only had a pink bracelet and my son was happy to have it. My friend came to visit us and we went to check out the pool as my son kept asking about it. It was about 3 feet deep, but definitely not child friendly. There were no pool noodles, life vests or toys available. Not a big deal, I could have easily gone across the street and purchased these things at a dollar store across the street. Then when I inquired about it, the manager told me the pool was not open that day cause they had to chlorinate the water. Mmmm, there was no sign posted anywhere on the 3rd floor and we almost used it anyway. A front desk person did get an apple from the kitchen for my son for a snack when we came back late one night. That was very kind and helpful.

SUMMARY: There is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel at all; it was clean, quiet and comfortable and I greatly appreciated the free-wi-fi. Had we had to pay for it, I would not have chosen to stay here because it would have brought the average stay to be $150 + per night. For that amount I would have preferred a 4 star hotel with better amenities. Novotel North York does not stand out at all other than the convenient location. I could have spent less if we just wanted a clean room to sleep in.

I would have enjoyed my 8 night stay more if they were warmer or greeted us by name or offered any other assistance. I definitely got the feeling they were not interested in return business from me.

Room Tip: You might want to spend more to get a bigger room. Standard rooms are small and cramped for 2 adults...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ebonvan46
Michael S, General Manager at Novotel Toronto North York, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thanks for your great feedback, really constructive and such that i can share with the team. i'm not sure what it is at the moment. I sense the team are really performing well, however on occasion just missing that "connection" that little touch that will make us better.I know everyone is very professional, maybe just needs to soften our approach and be more open and friendly (?).. we'll keep trying!!
I'm a little disappointed we did not recognise you or your son, not many guests stay with us for that period. We also have a great family welcome which should have been extended to you... you given us a lot of food for thought.
Cheers,Michael.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The building is dated but the staff was friendly and the room was clean. The room itself was also a bit cramped, but for a 2-day business trip it was fine for just me. I ordered room service on my second night and the food was okay, but I don't think I would have ordered it again - same thing goes for breakfast down in the restaurant. All and all a decent place to stay but I don't think I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you, however little disappointing that you may not return. I hope you do, I'd love to talk to you about the average food you received and how we could have done better. However thanks for your feedback, we will continue to work hard to improve.
Cheers,Michael.
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Hi everyone!!

This time I would like to review a hotel in Toronto in which I recently stayed.

I usually find great deals for this hotel by booking in advance via olotels or hotelsclick.

Once booked a standard room, I wrote to the reservation office of the hotel and I had dealt with a very nice person (Priti Dubey), who tried to do her very best to make sure that my room was comfortable and i did not miss anything. I requested in advance to be located in a quiet room in the hotel and she did her best to block for me a very quiet room in which i could work in peace.

I would like to thank Priti for her help and assistance. Also therefore at the front desk were very nice with me, and when i asked to have an additional duvet because i felt i bit cold, they sent it to me immediately.

When i travel abroad, i like to feel at home, and the people i deal with make a huge difference.

Also, the location of the hotel is absolutely great. It is located above the subway station (north York) and in front of a very central street (yonge street) where you can easily find shops, cafes and restaurants.

The housekeeping service is also excellent.

Thank you Priti and thanks to the other very nice people at the drove desk and house keeping.

Best wishes,

Simo

• Stayed April 2014
Thanks for recognising Pritti, she is a great team member and always gives 100%, a great example and leader to the Front Desk. I like to think we have a lot of guest orientated staff whose everyday goal is simple "make the guest happy"!!
Thanks again, hope your travel across the Atlantic went well.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel several years, I had pretty low expectations. The hotel did a great job a not merely meeting my low expectations, but driving them even lower.

The Good
The staff does try to be very friendly, and for that traveling grace I'm quite grateful. The restaurant offers good food at reasonable prices, in a nice atmosphere.

The Not So Good
First, the rooms are tiny, with very uncomfortable furniture. I really think they decorated the place straight from an Ikea store. The beds are awful, the chair very uncomfortable, and the rooms are, as others have said, a bit cold in the winter. The internet at this hotel, even if you pay for the upgraded service, is horrible.

All in all - I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all. It's ready for a refresh and until they do that it's best to send your business elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Now this one does hurt. However we accept all comments with a smile and thank everyone for their feedback, it wakes us up and makes us realise we always have to work hard to improve.
I am delighted to advise we will be starting to refurb our rooms and lobby towards the end of the year.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Have just spent 7 very pleaseant nights here. Cannot fault it. Room large, beds wonderful and breakfast plentiful. Ate in the restaurant a couple of nights and food was excellent. Ideally situated for the subway. Perfect. We are hoping to visit Toronto again later in the year and a room here will be top of the list. Thank you everyone for making our stay delightful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for a great review, however having read some other comments, I am at a loss, are our rooms big or small? Let me just say compared to other popular hotel brands our rooms are a very similar size and certainly ideal for a business or leisure stay.
The Trio team will be delighted you have acknowledged them.