“Great stay in a location that was perfect for us”

The Westin Prince Toronto
Ranked #53 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Chicago, Illinois
“Great stay in a location that was perfect for us”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

The Westin Prince is a very attractive property located in a lovely park-like setting. It is well back from the very busy street in front, so noise is not a problem. It is one of a handful of hotels located in this part of the city (northwest of downtown) and of those, the only one I could find that is pet friendly. On the long weekend that we visited, the hotel was very quiet, which may explain why we were able to find such a favorable rate. Our second floor room had no view to appreciate, but it was extremely roomy and pleasantly decorated. It had a "heavenly" king bed and a work area that I would really have appreciated if I had been there on business. Not wanting to pay for Internet access, I was easily able to use the computer in the hotel business center. The $15+ charge for continental breakfast drove us away from the hotel restaurants, but there are a number of (mostly fast-food) restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, including several that deliver.

In addition to a nice outdoor pool, there is a tennis court and a very nice workout room.

We found the staff we dealt with to be very courteous. The only problem we had was a slow response to our request for the room to be serviced. A call to the housekeeping manager resolved this.

Unlike many hotels in Toronto and elsewhere that accept pets, the Westin Prince do not charge a fee or ask for a deposit. You would definitely want to verify that this is still the case if you plan to visit with a pet.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Nurmijarvi, Finland
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I picked this hotel because of the location close to our customer's office, since the traffic in Toronto is a nightmare and that was the main consideration. The rooms were ok and reasonably quiet (the hotel is well back from the road and a long way from any motorway, so no problem there). You could see a reasonable distance from my 14th floor room although I doubt the windows had been cleaned this year or perhaps longer, they were so dirty. also the "balcony" window would only open about six inches, but that was better than nothing and allowed at least some fresh air into the room.

Some money has obviously been spent to modernise the room, but only in the most superficial way. the 42" plasma tv is nice and so is the desk, but things like the tired carpet and doors are very 80's (or older). The lift or elevator had a sign saying that renovation was coming, which is probably quite welcome since they look like something from the 60's!
The bathroom was typical north american style with poorly designed and ugly taps. the worst thing was the so called "heavenly shower" which was an ugly two part shower head with large handles to control it. Perhaps in north america this kind of thing is considered sophisticated but it's a long way from a rainfall shower head or something a bit more of this century. The shower head was patently not designed for this kind of shower cubicle since it hung down so much that the shower head itself was at about my chin level, and several times I hit it with my head while trying to bend under and wash my hair. photo is attached - I think the designers drew some inspiration from the 1950's movie war of the worlds! Inside the shower is a large notice saying that they've installed this double head shower, but disabled one of the shower heads to avoid wasting water and there is a small button to enable it. sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it: indulge guests in double "heavenly shower" but don't take any flack for wasting water.

The mini bar was another annoyance. lifting anything would incur an immediate charge and there was zero space to put your own things, with a warning that moving anything to store you own stuff would incur a $25 charge. I managed to balance small cartons of milk and yoghurt on top of the existing cans without being charged. There is a photo attached. ONLY when I checked out was I told that they would have bought another fridge to my room for my things - so they are happy to have a sign that warns about the $25 charge, but not mention the second fridge you could have !!

Internet was at extra charge - which I thought a bit of a cheek. most places in north america have it for free. a touch of european style here (the only touch I think!!)

The place wasn't a disaster though and perhaps for north america is passes as reasonable and I would stay again, just don't compare it with anything in asia or europe.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Le066
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The rooms are very comfortable and the staff friendly. I love the showerheads, too. The food, however, was a big disappointment. I ate dinner at the hotel twice because of long days at work. The meals at the Seasons were atrocious in my opinion. Both dishes I selected were semi-liquid, not what I expected at all of risotto and paella. Salad was fresh and looked beautiful, but had far too much dressing for my liking. That was my bad for not requesting it on the side.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed April 25, 2009

As I am writing the review, I am lounging in one of the guest rooms at the Westin Prince. This is my second and definitely not last stay. My coming back here for the second time in one month (I live in Toronto and about 15 minutes away from the hotel) implies great service, excellent amenities, cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff and the "ever-so-crucial" pet policy. The rooms are spacious, the beds really ARE heavenly, and the staff really does deserve the praise other guests have given them.
The only less-than-perfect aspect of the stay is the washroom. Though the rooms have been renovated and are flawless, the bathroom seems to have been left the same for the last 30 years. The dated design isn't the downfall, it's the shower that's mounted so low, only people under 5'6 can comfortably use it, the bath itself shows significant wear and tear and the fixtures date back to before I was born. The first time I stayed, there was mold in the crevices of the shower, though it seems to have been scrubbed off. I did take a picture to present to you, my fellow trip advisor users, but it hardly seems fair to post the monstrous image since the issue has been resolved.
The check in seems to be speedy for most. I can't give an objective opinion, as issues with my credit card company (sigh!) have come up both of the times I have checked in, resulting in a painfully long check in time. Though the concierge/valet was only too happy to look after my dog (she was waiting in an air conditioned car, as I didn't want her waiting/bouncing around during the check in process). All of the staff are very accomodating and a true pleasure to interact with.
The check out was seamless, as they have a quick check out program and I was able to accomplish this within minutes, even with a large dog pulling me in every direction:).
Now, for the pet policy. Upon our first arrival, my dog was greeted with a "heavenly" doggy bed, a set of bowls (they forgot this time, but we had it brought up to the room promptly....just missing one if the bowls) and a little bag the contents of which are too cute for words. There are two plastic capsules with doggy "potty" bags and a pair of plastic gloves! The was also a small paper tag to put on your pet's collar with the hotel name on it. The area surrounding the hotel provides for a scenic and pleasant walk with plently of bushes to smell and green grass to snack on.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone, who doesn't mind the dated washrooms and the location (about 20 minutes from downtown TO by car). I will certainly be coming back and am already checking rates for next week ;)!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Kath_Ko
new york
Reviewed April 8, 2009

My husband & I just returned from a 5 day trip in Toronto. While the Westin Prince is not located downtown, it is conveniently located right by a bus stop (95) which takes you into the York Mills Station where you can take the train downtown. The hotel is contemporary and the lobby area is very nice. Upon our arrival, we were interested in finding hockey tickets. The woman who checked us in happily took the information and said she would look for tickets and call us in our room. That was a good way to start our stay! Hannah was very sweet and helpful. Unfortunately, there were no tickets available but she did try. My husband was not happy with the odor in the first room we were in (it wasn't smoke, I can't describe it) and Hannah moved us to another room. She even sent the new room keys up to us. The second room was much better. Our only criticism is that the rooms are fairly nice but the carpets are stained and bubbled. My husband is a carpet installer and had he had his tools with him, he would have fixed all of the bubbles. The carpet did take away from the room and we are not too picky. There is no reason to have what look liked bleach stains on the carpet. I read that there will be a renovation this year (the elevators will also be renovated). The shower was the best part. We both indulged and used the double showerhead. Try it, you won't use one showerhead anymore! The bed was comfortable but the pillows were just okay. There is a nice sized tv in the room but programming is limited compared to what we are used to. The restaurant in the lobby is great. We ate dinner at Seasons on our night of arrival. It was a bit pricey (we are not used to the multiple taxes, as well) but it was worth it. We ate there for breakfast each morning. I ordered off the menu (I recommend that granola pancakes) and my husband had the buffet twice, which was full of pastries, bagels, cold cuts, cheeses, an omelette station, pancakes--food galore. There are several restaurants located directly across from the hotel on the other side of York Mills. There was Kelsey's (we ate there and recommend), pizza, a greek place, Starbucks and Shoeless Joe's. Staff always tidied the room and respected the "peace" sign on the door. Our original sheets had a small hole on my side and a few days later I requested a linen change and there was a small hole on that set of sheets. Very odd! Amenities were provided-shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and even mouthwash. Nice white tea smell. There was a computer for use on the main floor. There should be a sign posted that if people are waiting to use it that there is a limit. Sometimes people need to be reminded of manners. While many people would probably pay for a taxi to get around, it is expensive and the transit system is really easy to use. There is a mall about 10 minutes away that has a new cinema with stadium seating. I do not recommend the Japanese restaurant located right by the hotel. They are really overpriced and most items were a la carte. Soup and salad is typically included in all Japanese restaurants that I have eaten in. There were 2 prix fixe options which were equally expensive ($68 or $110). Overall, staff was very friendly and our stay was nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
US
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Overall, great hotel. The modestly sized room had a large desk which is great for business travelers. Internet is NOT included, however. Of course we all know the beds and pillows at all Westins are fabulous (as you can even buy them!). Parking for this suburban hotel was also not included. However, the lobby, business center, bar, restaurant - all elegant without being intrusive.

ONE COMPLAINT: The mini bar and snacks are all hooked up to a weighted tray... Which means that if you even nudge an item, you are charged for it - with or without opening it! Everything sits in plain sight - and if you like to read labels and SEE what you're purchasing like I do - you'll be very tempted to pick up the items. But don't fall for it! I also saw a sign posted on the unlocked fridge - even opening the fridge would mean a $25 cleaning fee - how silly!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rileigh15
northamerica
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I experienced the Westin Prince hotel in Toronto on a business trip in mid january..... being on the road for several months together can get really stressful however the service provided by "AZHAR" at the front desk is truly inspirational. He did not only go above and beyond his job duties in contacting the limo driver who drove me to the hotel in order to get my cellphone which i had forgotten but also lent me his jacket for a meeting i had on the same day since i lost my bag. it was a horrible day but the service provided and the small gestures such as a hand written card and a pair of slippers will not only get me back to your hotel but will always make me feel like home. overall the hotel is recently renovated and has been completely transformed. there are several other restaurants in the surroundings but azhar suggested me the duncan house which was exceptional. BEST HOTEL IN TORONTO i will definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business