“My favorite in Toronto”

Ranked #48 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Ontario
“My favorite in Toronto”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

For many reasons, the Westin Prince Toronto is now my favorite when in the GTA. The staff there is awesome. Arthur and Joseph at check-in were great. Great positive attitudes and fast and friendly service. Lidija, thanks again for your friendly service and attention. This hotel has a little resort feeling to it. Very large size hotel located in woods. Tennis courts and great outdoor pool. The room was fantastic as usual. Excellent breakfast buffet! We will see each others again Westin Prince!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
sens1992,
Our goal is to become your favourite retreat destination while staying in Toronto and it's inspiring to read we have achieved this. It also is refreshing to read that the team is a large part of this through the service and experience they provided you. You highlight many great associates and we have conveyed your comments to them so they may see what a favourable impression they are making. The summer is only half over so we hope we can see you staying again before it's over.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here as a couple with our six year old daughter for a short break.

The experience was both good and bad.

The bad included outdated rooms, very small 'double' beds, balcony that you can't use, charge for internet, charge for parking, poor outdoor pool area (one of the reasons we stayed in the first place), very cold water in the pool, poor service by the pool. Slightly unhelpful desk staff when we had an issue. You can't take drinks from the bar up to your room (must use room service), omly one robe in the room (why bother) and a few other minor issues.

The good included a good little gym/work out room, a nice setting, a very good (if slightly overpriced) brunch including very nice and helpful restaurant staff. Good location, near to the Shops at Don Mills, with an array of good restaurants and shops.

As an add-on, the difference between standard and deluxe rooms, as I was reliably informed, is that the deluxe rooms have a bath AND a shower, not just a bath with an overhead shower. Big deal. The shower is so small/low, that it is not worth using if oyu are 5'7" or taller.

Overall, it was just about OK. We would not go out of our way to stay here again, which is a shame, as we like to do alot of little weekend breaks. Shame really.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much the same, so no good tips here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GarethParry,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such an insightful review. We are happy to see that enjoyed most aspects of your stay however we are sorry to read that your overall experience was not as positive as anticipated. Ownership has invested much time and many resources into enhancing the property and we are constantly continuing this process. We will be sure to address some of the deficiencies you highlight such as the pool temperature. We hope you provide us another chance when looking for a weekend away and if needing assistance please feel free to connect with me personally.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We live 10 minutes from The Prince and have recently stayed there a couple of times and they were all fantastic, or ended up beyond expectations.

My mom was in town and as our condo is a little small, we decided to leave her home to babysit and went for a great meal at Katsura. The food was incredible and the wine list was very well priced. The first room we checked into was a disappointment. As Platinum Starwoods members we had an upgrade and I wondered what we had been upgraded from as it was very standard and not like upgrades we are accustomed to at other Starwoods properties. The washroom was very outdated even though the hotel was supposed to have been completely renovated. There was mould on the shower door, the paint and wallpaper a mess and the shower head was from the 80's. However, we advised the front desk of our dissatisfaction and were immediately moved to a room beyond our expectations. Arthur at the front desk is a true Star! He looked more upset about the pictures i showed him of the deficiencies than I was! We didn't get to enjoy the pool as the weather was poor but vowed to come back to take advantage of it.

The next time we took my son and ended up in another fantastic room. As other reviewers have mentioned, ask for a low floor at the tree line so you can here the birds in the morning. As mentioned, I live in a condo so waking up to that is such a treat. The grounds of the hotel are amazing. We explored the trails and made use of the pool. It's really big and is quite warm. There was a BBQ and bar set up there the day we were there but it closed really early, much to our disappointment. Again, we returned to Katsura while my son opted for room service which was fast and really tasty. This time we sat at the tepanyaki tables and it was one of my favorite meals in a long time and I eat out a lot. We went to the bar after dinner and I had a lemon drop martini and it was fantastic. Nice bar for a hotel almost in suburbia.

We were lucky to see Arthur again when we checked in although all the staff we have encountered at The Prince have been great. Kudos to Arthur!

We can't wait to escape again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor if you want that country in the city feel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
shawnawhitmell
Thank you for informing us of your recent stay and also for your continued loyalty even though you only reside minutes away. We are delighted you enjoyed your dining experiences in Katsura and we will convey this to their team. We are sorry of the room issue you experienced on one of your stays but are inspired to read that Arthur was able to assist and make a more favourable impression. He is a true asset to the hotel and team and we have informed him of your comments. Please let us me know when you plan on staying again and I would personally like to assist.
Brossard, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Hotel is well situated and the lobby is exceptionaly beautiful but the classic rooms seems more of an outdated one. Stayed there for 2 nights with family of 4. The carpetry was very dirty and the washroom theme really doesn't match year 2013. Room size, working desk and flat Tv was good though. Breaskfast was ok. Parking spaces a plus. But overall, will not go there again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ezechias
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Ezechias,
We are sorry to read that your overall experience was not positive and that you will not be returning when in Toronto. We are continually working on enhancing the product and service we provide and our hope is that you will provide us another opportunity when in the city. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to connect with me.
Barbados
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We recently met up at this lovely hotel, traveling from four different countries to spend a fun filled three days enjoying the lovely city of Toronto. We could not have chosen better, this hotel is beautifully appointed, centrally located with amazing staff. Kudos to management for ticking all of the boxes for us. Special mention of Nida who was our breakfast server and could not do enough to ensure that we had everything we needed and more! I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for your every visit to downtown Toronto!

Room Tip: The Executive Suite was something else, a must have if you like lots of space
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
bajanwoman,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we are inspired to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience. The large property we are situated on enables us to provide a more relaxing environment for our guests and we are delighted you found this to be true. We are also happy to read that Nida made such a positive impression. She has been informed of your comments and is appreciative that you took the time to let us know. Nida and the entire team look forward to your next stay when in Toronto.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The Westin Prince is located at York Mills Road near Leslie to the West and Don Mills to the East. If you have business in or around the York Mills / Don Mills area, this is pretty much the only hotel you should consider. The Westin is clean, spacious, well managed and over a delight to experience. Right from the huge lobby with spacious bar/restaurant area with floor to ceiling windows overlooking beautiful parkland, you know you are somewhere that cares about their property. Check-in was busy, but well managed and quick. I noted the three elevators are a little slow and the middle one might need service, but this is a hotel that is continually upgrading (they installed a very nice new Kohler showerhead in my room (unasked) during my stay). The beds are very comfortable with the now-standard selection of pillows and a series of duvets and comforters that can be adjusted to your tastes. The rooms and bathrooms are spotless and the shampoo, soap, conditioner and lotion are a nice green tea scent and work well. I had to ask for a toothbrush on this trip and it arrived in under 5 minutes. I had a brief issue on this particular trip, there was a dog barking in the next room late in the evening. So I called the front desk; they said they would look into it immediately - well they meant IMMEDIATELY, I had a call from Kirk, who identified himself as a manager, and he stated they had found the room guests, who were downstairs eating, and they entered the room and silenced the dog while I was on the phone with Kirk. A few moments later a glass of red wine and a lovely cheese plate arrived. I have stayed at this hotel several times and never had a disturbance, so this was pretty rare - and their response quick, efficient, satisfactory 100%, and in my mind just as rare. I won't stay anywhere else in the East of Toronto as a result. Even if your business is downtown - you are 8 Km to Younge and St Clair. Highly recommend this one.

Room Tip: Northern and Eastern rooms have parkland views with the Don Valley in the distance. Honestly I have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tim W,
We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay and for your very thorough review. We are delighted that you found the accommodations to be enjoyable and more importantly the service to be professional and efficient. We have passed along your sentiments to the team and Kirk in particular was appreciative of recognizing his efforts. We apologize for the noise you encountered however we are happy that this was rectified quickly for you. When returning to the city please connect with me so I may assist with your next reservation.
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just stayed here for two nights visiting family in the area. The setting is like a beautiful oasis in a very built up area. We hit a lot of Friday traffic and didn't get to check in until 5pm. I had requested a quiet room away from the elevator, but the only rooms left were rooms with adjoining doors, so we went with a corner room near the elevator. The corner room was clean, comfortable, and spacious. I was woken up the first night at 2am by people coming off the elevator, but the second night was very quiet. I did not hear anything from adjoining rooms. Overall, it was a lovely room - I would just have slept better if it were farther from the elevator. The room had nice touches such as a fridge, corkscrew (which I forgot), clothesline in the bathroom, and a tiny balcony which we did not use as our room looked at the roof. We did hear birds in the morning which was very pleasant.

The pool was beautiful and clean with attractive furniture - tables and chairs with shade, loungers and Adirondack style chairs. A couple things would improve the pool experience. First, I was disappointed that there was a cigar smoker in the afternoons. The hotel might ask smokers to step away from the pool area as there are other areas nearby with chairs. Also, there is no handicap access to the pool. They have an indoor way of getting in with steps, but it was locked. One member of our family had to ask for help getting out of the pool and did not swim after that. It would be easy to install a portable step with rails as there are no steps outdoors. Finally, I wish the pool opened a little earlier. One sign said 6am, another said 6:30am, and the person at the front desk didn't know. I would have loved a swim at 6am before our 12 hour trip home, but as we had to get on the road at 7am, we could not use the pool on the day of our departure.

Our daughter followed the running route map and ran both mornings.
There are abundant restaurants in the area. We ate on site the second night at Katsura which was very pleasant. We got a AAA rate which seemed fair for the area.

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, ask for room away from the elevator that is not adjoining another room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fotocoquine
fotocoquine,
With the property being situated away from the downtown core we are able to provide the oasis type atmosphere you describe and we are delighted you experienced this first hand. We are happy you enjoyed not only the guestroom, but the recreational facilities and service provided by the team. We look forward to your next stay and if I can be of any assistance please feel free to connect with me prior to your arrival.