“Good Value if You Look for a Deal”

The Westin Prince Toronto
Ranked #56 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
“Good Value if You Look for a Deal”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me say this is a review of Priceline when one bids on a room as much as the Westin. I did not select the Westin as much as it was assigned to me pursuant to the Priceline bid criteria. I would have preferred a hotel downtown, but did bid on this hotel based upon its star rating and customer satisfaction level on Priceline. This hotel can be outstanding value when one bids on Priceline. I went with my wife for a getaway weekend. In the past with other hotels I ended up with a bed with two queen beds and the hotels have basically told me they would not change the room because I bid on Priceline. The Westin not only accommodated my request, but also upgraded our room to a higher floor and gave us a complimenatry tray of chocolate and fruit as I mentioned it was my anniversary.

This is not a brand new hotel. Nonetheless, the lobby has been remodeled and is impressive. I went downtown to one of the Intercontential Hotels for a quick comparison and determined the Westin Prince was heads and shoulders ahead for the lobby.

The service is perhaps the thing that stands out the most. The thing about service is that it is something that doesn't matter until you need it. This trip I had questions and it was really nice to see staff eager to help me.

Everyone's needs are different and this should be taken into consideration. One thing I really appreciate is a good gym facility when I go to a hotel. Unfortunately, the gym's equipment was a bit dated and crammed into a small space. Those who don't use the gym may not even have been aware of this. Relatively speaking, this is the type of upgrade that a large hotel chain like the Westin can fix for a relatively modest investment. This makes sense to me especially because they advertise they can provide gym clothes and shoes for rental at $5.25. If you are going to draw attention to something, make sure your audience has something to look at when they turn thier head. One small disappointment was I was looking forward to the breakfast buffet. I arrived at 8:45 am and was told the buffet was going to close in 15 minutes. Perhaps my fault for not asking but having the hours of the buffet posted or commuicated would have been nice.

Accross the street from the hotel are several nice restaurants and even a large Korean market around the corner. I ate at the Vietnamese restaurant and the food was excellent. So even though this hotel is not downtown there are still a number of restaurants nearby.

I made a conscious choice in having some unknowns when I booked through Priceline. When I take everythign into consideration the hotel was an outstanding value for what I paid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dougandivy,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review. We are delighted that you found the hotel to be of good value and that you also found the team to be eager to assist. I have passed along your comments to them so they may see the results of a job well done. Enhancements to the Westin Workout are being looked at and we thank you for providing your perspective. We hope we can see you staying with us again and if returning please connect with me so I may personally assist.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had a brief stay at the Westin Prince. It's located in North Toronto and suitable for business travellers not needing to go downtown, or refugees looking for better value and the Westin experience but not needing the downtown/central vibe. Enjoyed the Heavenly Bed as usual. Only beef is the usual disappointment with the hotel sauna and hot-tub. The sauna was room temperature and would have required at least 2 hours to heat up, yet the heater was on a timer that was about 10 min, so it's completely unworkable - obviously I'm not going to sit around and reset it every 10 min and waste 2 hours . The hot-tub jets were not working when we were there, and the temperature was probably 98-99F, which should be 102F - sounds trivial but it makes a big difference between a warm bath and a temperate that relaxes. Another couple was somewhat disappointed as were we and also walked away. I find this almost everywhere I travel in North America - saunas/steam rooms and hottubs are advertised as amenities but are not operated as such and deliberately kept cold or under temperatur. There has to be some sort of balance between the operating cost and the ease of access to a potential guest wanting to use it at the temperature it's designed for. Every single hotel I stay at in Europe operates the sauna and/or steam room at the temperature it's supposed to be for the entire opening hours and not on a timer - which should be 80-90C.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
beachman727,
We appreciate your insight and are happy to read that you had a renewing nights sleep in our Heavenly Bed. We apologize for any issues with the Whirlpool and Sauna. Over the past 2 weeks we have made some enhancements to these areas so as to avoid similar issues in the future. The team will also be monitoring more frequently to ensure proper temperatures are achieved. We look forward to your next visit and when returning please let me know.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Westin Prince on several occasions. Always a very hospitable staff and very comfortable rooms. The hotel is located on a large section of land with areas to walk and see the Don valley from the hotel. Japanese restaurant on site (Katsura) is excellent and provides sit down and Teppenyaki Tables.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dave D,
Thank you for taking a few moments to highlight your thoughts about the property and your experiences. We have shared your feedback with the team and in particular our associates in Katsura. They have been providing a superior dining experience for many years and we are delighted you witnessed this first hand. We hope we can see you staying with us again soon.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here recently and had a great time. The hotel is very elegant with an understated Japanese flair. There's lots of seating areas and a bar that has excellent service. Front desk staff are very professional, quick and attentive. Lots of restaurants in the area across the street, something for everybody.

The rooms are very spacious and the beds are so comfortable, I was in heaven. Bathrooms are gorgeous, a lot of attention to detail. I would highly recommend this hotel and stay here again.

My only complaint about this hotel is the wifi is not free.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Blue_eyez_11
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Blue_eyez_11,
A good nights sleep is something Westin feels passionate about and the signature Heavenly bed was created for this purpose. The beds have become so popular that they are available for sale to the public. Aside from your great sleep, we are delighted that you also enjoyed the overall experience and service provided. We have recently implemented complimentary Wi-Fi in our lobby and restaurant and we see this as a step in the right direction. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback.
New Jerzy, USA
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed 3 nights during a weekend getaway (F-M) at this location. We liked staying here and the amazing experience. The hotel lobby is pretty and nice decor. The check-in staff was super friendly and explained everything we needed to know. They actually know customer service. We had 2 rooms, and gave the room with toddlers a crib and goodies for them. We requested microwave and they sent it up promptly. I am really appreciative of small things that Hotels do to take care of their customers. Rooms: We stayed in a 2 bed room and it was quite spacious. There wasn't enough bright lighting in the room or the bathroom. This was a concern as when you're going out at night you want lighting. The room had a flat screen tv and great views. Staff: Very friendly and attentive, they brought our luggage from downstairs and realized the luggage stands were not in the room. He came back with the stands and fixed our luggage to be on top of them. They let us use their lobby phone to call local numbers twice. Concerns: Lighting was a bit dim in the room and the bathroom. Parking Fees was $12 per night at their lot. Internet in the lobby was free, but in the room there was a charge to get internet. THis site is about 20 mins away from Downtown Toronto. It's 5 mins away (driving) from Fairview Mall (which is nice) and 5 mins away (driving) from Subway/Metro. There is a bus walkable about 5 mins that will take you to the Mall. Pool was outdoors and closed in March. Gym was decent. Overall I'm really happy and will stay here again. There isn't much occupancy in the hotel so it's quiet and you're well taken care of.

Room Tip: Higher floors for a greater view of the city of Toronto.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NiteSurfer1
NiteSurfer1,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay with us as we understand time is limited nowadays. We have made numerous enhancements to the property over the past few years, however as you mention it is the service that we feel makes our property special. We have a great team and we are inpsired to read that you were able to experience this first hand. We hope you are able to stay with us again when in Toronto.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were headed through Toronto on the way to Ottawa and needed a well located hotel that was a quick in / out near the major freeway. The Westin offered competitive rates, was clean, easy, offered free over-night self-park for SPG guests. Starbucks across the street.

MeaganD2,
We are happy our property offered the convenience you needed on your most recent travels through Toronto. As you highlight, we are very close to 3 major highways and the downtown core yet far enough away to provide a relaxing experience. We hope your journey to Ottawa was a safe one and we hope to see you staying with us again.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I recently came into town to see some friends and family and stayed at the Westin Prince. We had a good time there and generally found the hotel to be clean and well-kept. Certainly some parts of the property like the doors and hallways look a bit older but this did not bother us much.

The location with respect to proximity to the DVP and 401 was pretty important since we were driving to and from Ottawa and it is a fairly short drive downtown too so location is quite nice.

We found the reception staff to be very friendly too. Overall, a very good experience. We chose not to use any of the food services so not really able to comment on that.

1 Thank CanucksFan80
CanucksFan80,
A getaway, no matter the length of time, is always needed and we are delighted that you and your wife chose our hotel when visiting friends in the city. Over the past few years we have made many enhancements to the property and we are committed to continuing this in the future. We hope we can welcome you back again and if needing any assistance please feel free to connect with me prior to your arrival.