“Unbelievable Stay At the Windsor Arms”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Windsor Arms Hotel

Windsor Arms Hotel
Ranked #40 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
New York
“Unbelievable Stay At the Windsor Arms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

The staff were true professionals in every respect and very accomodating. The rooms were spacious and decorated beautifully. The beds were so comfortable that I slept like a baby. The bathrooms were unbelievable! When I wanted to relax , my room was so peaceful..When I wanted entertainment. the bar was extraordinary.

The Windsor Arms is the place to stay when visiting Toronto!

• Liked — Professioalism
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank tennissdeaf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2006

I visit Toronto at least once a month and usually stay at the Four Seasons. On my last visit the Windsor Arms was recommended to me by a resturant in the area - I am extremely glad they shared this "Gem" with me.

From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I was treated as though I was the most important person in the world - and I am - to me.

I cannot imagine staying anywhere elsenow.

The rates are higher than most hotels but you pay for what you get. I loved the personal attention I got from all the staff and found them to be personable and responsive to my needs.

I highly recommend the hotel

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2006

Do NOT stay here. They billed my credit card an extra night despite my cancelling in accordance with their policy. Not only would they not rectify the situation, they would not even return my calls. Awful service.

Stayed December 2005
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
greatoronto, manager at Windsor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2007
Suites on the 2nd floor can be noise due to being above the bar, which has live entertainment on Thursday to Saturday. HOWEVER, guests are advised, prior to making the reservation and a reduced rate is offered on those nights. Alternatively, guests are welcome to stay on higher floors.

In any event all this is changing as we are moving away from live entertainment into a new an exciting concept. Stay tuned for more details.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2005

The hotel itself is acceptable. The rooms are large, if a bit conservative (they would have been cutting edge 80 years ago when art deco was just emerging). The bathroom was very nice, but again, it left me feeling a bit cold. The overall feeling is of a hotel that was embalmed. The cause of this may be that they are stretching to make the hotel fee older than it is. The reality is that the original Windsor Arms was torn down: this is a copy of the original except for one fireplace that was retained. They talk about entering through "our century old portals" which are really about 10 years old.

This effort leads to some laughably cheesy moments: the elevators are done up as a library. But of course there is not any room for books. Instead, they have cut the spines off of a bunch of old books and glued them to the walls. They then covered the spines with glass doors and locked them (to keep us for stealing the spines no doubt).

Beyond this, I had the feeling that they see their guests as resources to be mined for every possible dollar. Regardless of how much money one has, no one wants to feel this way. As an example, I called down and asked for two wine glasses to be brought to the room. When I checked out, I noticed that I had been charged $9.32 plus tax for this honour. I was outraged. I stay in luxury hotels all the time, and I have never been charged for the use of a glass. I expressed my indignation politely to the front desk staff and he simply looked at me, without saying a word. I waited for a few seconds, expecting something. When I realized that he was just going to stand there and look at me, I signed the invoice. I now regret this decision. I should have taken a stand against this petty exploitation.

I would far rather stay in the four seasons, Hyatt or the Germain (a truly innovative hotel experience).

• Stayed November 2005
31 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

Needs to decide whether it is a luxury hotel or a night club. Despite their protestations, we cannot have been the first to complain about the thumping base on party nights - all the way to the top floor - nowhere to hide. I do not believe they do not know so must assume that they simply do not care. Lots of "we'll turn it down" but they didn't and definitely put the needs of the zillions of wedding guests before their room guests. Also, on private party nights, key facilities - the bar and the dining room - are closed. Not that anyone mentioned that when I phoned in advance to make a dinner reservation. "You don't need to reserve if you're a guest" they said - the real reason is that there was no room at the inn. And corridors packed with drunken boars, shouting in time to the thumping bass is not really what I pay top rate room prices to enjoy. Just don't.

• Stayed April 2005
49 Thank hr2011London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2005

Again the noise is a real problem here - much worse is the patronizing attitude of the owner when you have had a night ruined because of the bass from a private party which ran long into the night, and the half-truths from the staff about how long the noise would go on, as well as numerous other glitches in the service which you shouldn't suffer in a relatively expensive 'boutique' hotel. Perhaps the priority of the management should be with the guests staying at the hotel, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed April 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2005

I stay in toronto on business yearly and have stayed at the Windsor Arms more than once. it is true to make sure you are not in the 2 rooms directly over the lounge(it gets noisy). the rooms are awesome. the sound system goes throughout the room including controls in the bathroom. the linens and the pillows are all the best I've ever seen in a hotel. the lounge was quite relaxing after a day working each evening. a real nice atmosphere and the live entertainment was great. the staff takes care of all needs that arise at any time of day or night. I recommend the Windsor Arms over the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt. which are the 2 closest to it in quality in the area.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business