“Worth repeating...”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ontario
“Worth repeating...”
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We love this hotel! This was our second stay at this property and although it wasn't quite the same as our visit for New Year's Eve it will continue to be our favourite place to stay in Toronto. It is connected by a walkway to the Eaton Centre and when you park at the hotel (valet is the way for only $25) you can get just about anywhere on foot, bus, or subway. We book the Romance Package and it is well worth it. One night stay in a king size room, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, valet parking, and the most amazing buffet breakfast are all included for $220-$250 depending on the time of year. They have other great packages including one that gives you a $25 gas coupon or gift card for the mall. The staff are incredible and don't accept tips, so if you are not from North America this is the place for you. Great service is offered without the expectation of a gratuity. In-room movies are a horrendous price, but that's not unusual at hotels. The bathroom products are stellar and each room has a coffee maker. If you are looking to do it up right this is the place for you!

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank sarzee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed September 19, 2006

We had stayed in this hotel half-a-dozen times in the past and had been very impressed with it. The service has always been excellent. We often used to go on massive shopping trips and had to transport many large boxes to and from our rooms. The bell staff (usually women) would handle this for us cheerfully. I would often try to tip them, sometimes $20, but they always refused, stating that it was against hotel policy and that it was "part of the service". This happened all the time, and still did on this last trip. The location is also perfect for us: next to the Eaton Centre and walking distance to Chinatown and Queen Street. The rooms are large and the food in the dining room is decent enough.

Now maybe our expectations of hotels have risen in recent years, or maybe we were just given a uniquely bad room for the first time, but our room was noisy! It was like there was no sound-proofing whatsoever. We could hear people walking and talking in the hallway and talking in the next room. This really annoys me, enough that I will not stay there again in spite of the excellent service.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The lack of sound-proofing
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank SurfaceTravel
england
Reviewed August 31, 2006

Myself ,husband and another couple who are good friends where visiting from England and stayed at the Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel for one night on the 26th August 2006. We where all visiting family in nearby Onatrio but wanted to enyoy a night out in Toronto,our children stayed with family whilst we looked forward to having some time to pamper ourselfs.This hotel was chosen because it supposedly has a good reputation and it was in a prime location.We paid $540 for two rooms for the night , this was to include the romantic package of sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries and breakfast.

WHERE SHALL I BEGIN?
ARRIVAL
When we arrived at the front of the hotel for valet parking one of the hotel staff approached our vehcile and started speaking strangely to our friend who was driving (he is Afro caribean) our friend baffled ;explained he didn't understand what was being said and the staff member said in a jokey way I am speaking African to you,we where clearly offended and shocked by his presumptious,unprofessional manner ,my friend stated that although he was black he was not African and spoke English.Our experience with the staff didn't get any better from here

BOOKING IN & ROOMS
The rooms where prebooked but when we arrived we had to hang around the corridor for over half an hour because there had been some mix up with the reservation, it was very embarrassing and a waste of prescious time.Whilst waiting I asked the consierge where the washrooms where and he was very unhelpful and quite rude.When things where eventually sorted out and we where booked into our allocated rooms they where freezing,although there was a thermostate you could only turn on the air con ,we asked for it to be checked and the maintance man basically said there was nothing that could be done, along with that the view from window was awful.After complaining we where moved to other rooms which where just as cold but we decided it was a waste of time saying anything as it was obvious that the main central heating system was turned off until winter also the view was slightly better and we just wanted to make the most of the experience without constantly complaining,
What i can say about the room is that they where very clean and the bed was super comfy thats where it ends.We all expected more for what we had paid for as it was very chinzy, basic and formal, nothing special.We decided that obviously we had paid for the location and thats it really.If you like shopping its ideal because its attached to a giant mall in the centre of Toronto.Unfortunatly we didn't have much time to shop or look around as the whole booking in/changing rooms scenario took most of our valubale time up.

Around the hotel is very grand and glamourous but it was spoiled by numerous cigerate dimps and empty drink cans thrown on corridors and out side the lift (they where until the next day when we booked out)
The nightlife in Toronto was great and we enjoyed it immensly,the following morning we had breakfast in bed which was not that great so quite a bit was wasted.

THE ICE LADY
Before booking out at 12 noon we wanted to enjoy a relaxing time in the health spa/sauna which opened at 6am.We went down at 10am and the woman on reception was so unproffessional its unbelieveable,she was busy small talking on the phone with a friend and had no intention of finishing her conversation, she gave us no instructions on what to do and basically ignored us.After standing around looking puzzeled we decided to enter the changing rooms,my friend went back out to ask for towels and was met by an icy glare she might of well as put up a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the desk ,there was no acknowlegment of any kind other than the body language of distane.We got ready to go into the sauna and it was cold,I went out to ask why it wasn't hot and was told I had to operate it myself when i ask how, i was spoken to like an idiot.As I have already stated we didn't want anything to spoil our time spent there so we refused to cause a scene,i went back in and after a few attempts we managed to get the sauna started, it was obvious it would take some time to heat up so we went to sit in the hot tub to wait- this was out of order and also the pool stairs could not be accessed.Whilst we discussed the disatisfaction of the facilities with other unhappy guests the woman on reception decided to butt in as she had now finished talking on the phone and wanted to get cheeky.When i asked why the sauna was not switched on from 6am as stated she said the hotel needed to save electicity-at that point i told her we had paid enough money to stay in the hotel and also that she had really bad manners and was obviously not suited to the job as she was not interested in the guests.

SUMMARY
Our run ins with staff ended there and we never bothered complaining it just made us think we would not recommend this hotel to anyone-especially someone looking for a romantic break.
The Hotel needs to do some serious retraining on customer service for most of the staff we encountered and also update some of the facilities ie TVs , decor in rooms, Sauna/spa facilities
There was one member of staff on reception who was very nice and helpful her name was 'AMA 'and she was happy to help and was the only one who made us feel welcome.THANKS AMA

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Tips/Secrets — beware of the ice lady
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
9 Thank Portland64
Rochester, NY
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Just stayed here for a long weekend. From the moment we arrived until we left, the staff was exceptional - totally flawless! Make sure you see Ralph in JW's Steakhouse if you go.

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank F R
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Made reservations more than three months in advance and requested a room with two beds and a high floor. When we arrived, the front desk representive looked at me and my friend and said "One King size bed, right?" - which seemed an inappropriate assumption for her to make about the two male guests in front of her - when I informed her that we wanted two beds and had requested such in our reservation three months earlier she told us that there were no rooms with two beds available and the best she could do was send up a roll away bed. So our options were to sleep together in the king size bed or for one of us to sleep on a small, uncomfortable roll away. Furthermore, we were not even given the requested high floor - instead we received a room on the 8th floor of an 18 story hotel. While the lady at the front desk was polite and professional, she was not the least bit helpful and her attitude was "take it or leave it".

It did not get much better inside the room - the air conditioning seemed to work only intermittently going from extremes of hot and cold. On the final night of our stay a fire alarm went off in the hotel at 2:15AM and continued to go off for 45 minutes until they received an all clear from the fire department.

My final costs for this room were over $900 for three nights and I feel I could have received better service at a cheap airport motel.

• Stayed June 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My husband and I are in our late 20's and stayed at Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre in early June. I have to admit that I am usually very worried about hotels and their cleanliness... but this hotel was extremely clean. The maid service was excellent and very prompt. We experienced no problems in this area -- like we usually do in other hotels.

The hotel staff was very friendly and offered great service. This was our first time in Toronto, and they were very helpful in guiding us to certain places that we asked about... restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. This hotel has a great location and allowed us to walk to all places we wanted to go.

The breakfast that is served at the hotel is wonderful!! It is a little expensive, but they offer a great variety. Unlike many other hotel breakfasts, this one actually has good food!

One restaurant that you must visit - if you are interested in Italian food - is Terroni. The hotel staff may act like they don't know where it is... but it's on Queen St. For some reason, when we asked about it, they acted like they never heard of it - but it was packed, and they have awesome food!

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saskatoon
Reviewed June 16, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott in mid-June for one night on a business trip. It is adjacent to the Eaton Centre mall, and across the street from the Toronto city hall. This makes it an ideal location for vacationers, but a bit far if you have meetings in the main business district in the downtown core (although it's not too bad for that).

I hesitate to start with a description of a not-so-good experience, but the staff response to the not-so-good experience was handled so well that in the end, I left the hotel quite impressed. The issue I had is that the phone system in some of the rooms was not functioning when I checked in. The front desk clerk told me about it, and said the hotel would pay for a calling card for me if I wished to make calls. I thought that was OK, so I accepted the room and settled in. I tried to hook up my computer to the internet in the room afterwards, but I found that this was not working either because of the phone line issue. I called the customer service person (with my cell phone!) and said that I really needed to do some work on my computer and I asked whether they could not speed up the repair on the line. The customer service person was quite apologetic and told me that she would see what she could do. A few minutes later this person came to my room and handed me a key to another room that happened to have its line fixed already for that night. I moved, and everything was then OK. I thought that the service response was great - I have never had someone come to my room to hand me another key.

The room itself was up to Marriott's usual standards - well done, not over-the-top luxurious, but very nice. The bed was comfortable and I got a good night's sleep.

I recommend this hotel, especially if you want to do a bit of shopping.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business