“Up to Standard, after Check In”

Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
Ranked #29 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I arrived on a Saturday night after a long flight from the UK.
The local time was 9pm, but our biological time was a very tired 2am. No hotel staff around to help unload the luggage, so I loaded the luggage trolly myself. Then, long queue at check-in with only one receptionist at her desk. Then manoeuvring the luggage trolley into the lift to our room.
After that it got much better for the week we were there: Nice spacious room; comfortable climate throughout; the hotel staff very helpful including providing a fridge for our room when asked. A good place to stay if you want to be close to major sights, shops, restaurants, and underground railway.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Marriot was a dream. All the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. I had some friends back to my hotel and they were all welcomed and we got a free choice off the menu. The food was delicious and the location was perfect. Far enough away from the Entertainment District, but close enough that we could walk. All around good time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with two beds, this way you can switch if you are bothered by the morning sun.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Good room, friendly staff. Great location.
I don't agree with the previous reviewer that the buffet was mediocre. We enjoyed it.
Had dinner which was very good and reasonably priced for a hotel.
Wi-fi was free in the lobby, but any hotel still charging for internet access in your room gets a down vote from me.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the Marriott was very disappointing. With no fridge, microwave, no free wifi and a mediocre buffet that costs $27 a person, we were very disappointed. We requested a fridge and got a very small one brought to the room on the second night. It was too small to hold anything. When traveling with small children the little things mean a lot. I needed to get food quickly and so we went downstairs. I have never paid anywhere near this much at a Hilton. Parking was 30 a night and I checked my bags for an hour and they charged 67 for 4 small bags for 2 hours. I will never be back, to the entire chain if I can help it!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first visit to Toronto and we were looking for a hotel that would give us easy access to the city. The Eaton Centre Marriott was the perfect choice. My son and I could walk to the Bluejays game while my wife and daugher could walk to all of the great shopping near the hotel. In addition the waterfront, restaurants and CN tower were walking distance also. The room was good size and the fitness area was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel during the Labour Day long weekend.

Location [5/5]: We chose this hotel because of its location, which was simply incredible! A short walk and you're in the centre of Toronto. It's also attached to Eaton Shopping Centre.

Room [2.5/5]: I have to say that the room was sub-par. It didn't have a mini bar, nor a hot water kettle (even though there were tea bags in the room). I think these 2 items are essential in any hotel room. The room was oddly noisy, random sounds kept popping up, it was like sleeping on the rooftop of a factory. The doors didn't really help, you could easily hear people's footsteps. Add to that the quality of the bed, expect to wake up with a backache.

Food [4/5]: We chose to have in-room dining, the food was warm, big portions, and well served. The only bad thing was that it was really expensive compared to other hotels.

As a summary, this hotel is all about location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I used the Mobile Check-in feature and was warmly welcomed by the staff with a smile. The process was smooth and efficient. I received a nice room on the 16th floor with a huge walk out balcony which was a cool way to spend my morning. Spent a little time in the bar, I liked it because it was daylit and airy and you could enjoy the bustle of the hotel around you, but still had some privacy, not your typical old stuffy atmosphere. I liked how the Manager stood as if on guard to ensure that all guests were taken care of. Someone was there morning and night. My room was typical Mariott, nothing special, but everything expected.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business