“The Hilton Hotel in Downtown Toronto on Richmond st.”
Review of Hilton Toronto

Hilton Toronto
Ranked #36 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 24, 2010

It's not the cheapest hotel you'll find but you'll definitely get what you pay for. It's in a great location near Yonge st. and The Eaton Center. A lot of places are within walking distance. The service at the hotel is great as well. Personally, I have no reason to look for another hotel when I'm in Toronto unless I decide to go for the cheapest thing I can find but then again why short yourself lol.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank YosefB
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2010

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We greatly appreciate it!

Providing an appropriate "value proposition" for our customers and delivering the service that our legacy brand is founded upon are core values of the Hilton Toronto. I'm thrilled to hear that your experience met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto in the very near future!

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed January 24, 2010

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Hilton. It was a "grownups" weekend for us -thanks Gramma for looking after the kids! If you have read my other reviews, you won't be surprised to learn that one of the first things I did was check for cleanliness, especially under the toilet seat. Rest assured, the Hilton lives up to its 4-star reputation and was spotless. The kind-sized bed was comfy, the heater was a bit noisy, but you could turn it off!
The best part of the room was the view. We were on the 28th floor looking north. The room had a big window, and we had a great time enjoying the continually changing view. If you're traveling with kids, they will love the scenic elevator ride -2 of 5 elevators have windows all the way up!
The Hilton is perfectly located: 5 minutes WALK to the Eaton Centre and Yonge St.; 5 minutes walk the the theatre district; less than 10 minutes to the Skydome (aka Rogers Centre). If anything is too far to walk, the subway is practically on the hotel's doorstep.

There were only two aspects of our stay that could be improved: 1) The sound from the hallway (as well as adjacent rooms) is louder than most places we have stayed at. A towel along the bottom of the door helped lots. 2) Room service breakfast: we ordered it both mornings. The menu is lacking a fresh fruit option, the meal quality is okay (but sub par for a top hotel), and they got our order wrong each day (and it took them too long to fix the first time)!

As for value, we stayed here through "Hotwire.com" and thought it was a great deal. We also stayed at the Sheraton (through Hotwire) the month before, and if given the choice, we'd stay at the Sheraton over the Hilton.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that our view and cleanliness standards exceeded your expectations!

With regards to your constructive comments, we certainly appreciate the additional insights into your time with us and our management team will utilize your observations as we work to improve the hotel for future guest enjoyment.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to choose Hilton during future visits and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Toronto once again!

Reviewed January 14, 2010

I had started staying at this hotel beginning in January, 2009 and from February forward the hotel started to cut services and amenities decreasing the value of staying. The final straw was being put in a room next to an unbalanced compressor and being told I would just need to put up with the noise. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TexasTraveler0
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2010

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! Please do accept my apologies that your experience was below your expectations!

Creating a comfortable and relaxing environment is a core value for us at the Hilton Toronto. Noise (sometimes controllable...sometime not) is a situation that we deal with on a regular basis and I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to solve this for you during your stay. As I noticed your stay was in August, I do recall that we embarked on a program in the fall to replace several aging Ice Machines that were causing unnecessary noise on our guest floors. Certainly not meant as an excuse, we do want to assure you and our future visitors that we take your comfort seriously and also apply all feedback that we receive to finding solutions for everyone.

Whenever we are presented with a challenge, our team is trained to continue to offer solutions until the situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Please accept our apologies that we were clearly unable to do so for your visit.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our ability to meet and exceed your expectations on future visits.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

We have stayed in this hotel twice, it's in the Hotwire roster of hotels in the area. The first time we stayed here my husband used the term, "lipstick on a pig" it's a cheap reno job on an older hotel and the decor is already outdated. The room fixtures are what you would expect of a Hilton, slightly cheap and main stream, flat pack desks and dressers. The hotel has removed the in room fridges and the coffee fixings are poor.
Recently this came up for us on Hotwire again. We stayed at the hotel because we were attending a large charity function. We left our room at 7pm and arrived back at our room around 4:30 am. When we checked out at 11am we were told we were being billed $200.00 for smoking! The crazy thing was, when we arrived back my husband wanted to complain about the smell of smoke on our floor but I didn't want to as it was late. The hotel offers smoking rooms so why anyone who smoked would stay in a non smoking room is beyond me. There was no room for discussion about the fact neither of us smoke and nobody ever addressed the issue with us further despite saying they would do so. I've had to resort to involving my credit card company.
Since Oct we have stayed in Toronto 9 times at various hotels as well as the UK and Costa Rica at no time have we ever been accused of smoking in any of these non smoking rooms. Both times we have stayed at the Hilton Toronto we have been disappointed and now ripped off as well.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angela_The_Traveller

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience with us. I was most disappointed to learn that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations.

Hotel "design" is a very personal experience and the great thing about hotels is that we are constantly updating and improving which allows us to try new things and appeal to a wide variety of travellers. Certainly, the majority of our guests have commented favourablly on our renovations to date and we look forward to our next phase scheduled to be completed by the end of March. At the moment, we are pleased to have some of the most recently renovated and up-to-date room product in the Toronto market.

Our Housekeeping team works very hard to ensure that our non-smoking rooms are kept cleaned to standard for the comfort of our guests. We also strive to ensure that our non-smoking policy is clearly identified in our guest rooms and it is common practice for hotels to convey a cleaning fee in the event that the non-smoking environement is compromised. We do have a documentation trail available whenever this policy is invoked and I would recommend that you contact my office directly if you would like us to provide further information regarding the charge that was assessed to you. If the charge was applied in error, we would be pleased to correct this situation for you. As the cleaning process to return a "smoked in" room back to our non-smoking standards is quite extensive, we do stand behind our policy which helps us maintain the most appropriate accommodations for our guests.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to resolve this situation to your satisfaction. Thanks again for providing the feedback! We greatly appeciate the opportunity for improvement!

Reviewed January 5, 2010

This hotel is in a great downtown Toronto location, walking distance to many places and on the subway line.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2010

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thanks for the review and feedback! We agree that our location is one of the best in town - centrally located to all shops, restaurants, attractions and conviently connected underground by Toronto's famous PATH system to over 16 miles of shop, food outlets, businesses, etc.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Toronto on your next visit to our fair city!

Reviewed December 31, 2009

The hotel was clean and the staff friendly, reasonable prices and a great breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2010

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for your feedback! We greatly appreciate your comments and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Toronto in the very near future!

Warm Wishes,

Reviewed December 15, 2009

I arrived on Dec 9th and was greeted by "Jason" a warm and friendly guest agent. We had actually spoken earlier in the week and to my surprise he was there upon my arrival. I had a very quick and pleasant check in experience. And was also told that I had been upgraded to a Jr. Suite at no charge. Upon arrival to the room I was pleasantly surprised as to the size and cleanliness. The bathroom was a nice size and the towels were nice and soft. I had been informed by Jason that the room had been recently redone. The locatioin of the hotel was great. I actually never had to go outside. Under the hotel they have a walkway to the "path" which can take you down to Union station all the way up to Eaton Centre without ever having to go outside. I actually went to see the Raptors play and never walked outside. Concerige was very helpful and had a map of the "path" that helped me get around underground. Should my plans include Toronto in the future I will definitely stay at this hotel again. And again a special thank you to "Jason" for all the hotel information provided to me prior to my stay and at check in.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2009

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I was so pleased to learn that you felt "warmly welcomed" by our team and enjoyed the location and ammities of the hotel!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and from all of us at the Hilton Toronto...."Happy Holidays"!!!