“Nothing Special”

Hilton Toronto
Ranked #33 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I've literally just checked in. I'm a diamond member and stay in Hilton's across the globe. Check in was very underwhelming. Asked if I'd been given an upgrade for my diamond status. Was told I'm in an executive room. Advised that I'd paid for the executive room. Was told that was as good as it gets. Funny that when you see other reviews on here and people upgraded to a suite....... Get to my room and the clock is an hour fast and can't be changed. Room is average at best. Couple of bottles of complimentary water. That's it. Makes me wonder why I bothered to stay here. If I go anywhere else with Hilton it's upgrades, bottle of wine etc etc. absolutely nothing here. Not even anything in the mini bar. Maybe I'm spoilt being from Europe but I've stayed in New Zealand, Australia, Russia etc etc and this is the worst yet. Obviously loyalty doesn't mean anything over here. Not even a welcome letter. I see other reviewers getting champagne and strawberries....... I turned up in the taxi. Bellhops stayed in the foyer, didn't offer to help, no welcome. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ukefc01
HiltonYYZ, Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Ukefc01,
We are so sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience during your recent stay with us. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and your feedback will help us to better deliver this brand promise moving forward. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests especially our valued HHonors members have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to our area in the future.
Best Regards,
Beth Osborne, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located in downtown toronto, a 10 minute walk from the university area and 10 minutes in the other direction to the lakeshore area. Although the decor is dated it is well kept and the staff are consistently very friendly and professional.

The exec lounge is large with stunning views from the 32nd floor (see photos).

All in all it meets the expected Hilton standard and is good value relative to the high quality product. I would not hesitate to return when in Toronto.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear abracadabra007,
Thank you for writing about our hotel on Trip Advisor! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Beth Osborne, Director of Operations
Milverton, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I wanted to do something special for our anniversary and decided to go to Toronto for the weekend. We chose to stay at the Hilton Downtown based on previous great experiences. We had just checking in and got to our room when we received a call from home that our daughter had gone into labour! So we packed back up and had to head home. We told the staff on the main desk what was happening, they were awesome and excited for us and cancelled all the billings! We made it home in time to welcome our first grandchild into our family and 3 weeks later called back to the Hilton to try once again for our special trip. We were transferred to the manager that gave us a special discounted rate and an upgrade in our room! He also suggested that they would like to add a special surprise after we arrived. The first evening we arrived back to our room to a bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries! We were treated royally for the 2 days we were there! My wife and I would highly recommend Hilton's from our past great experiences, but the Toronto Downtown location, the management and staff are simply incredible and for us went above and beyond all expectations! Well done everyone, you made us feel very very special. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonYYZ, Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Darrell,
We are all very glad you had a great experience with us! Congratulations on your new grandchild!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Has everything you need, right downtown Toronto, walking distance for all theatres, restaurants, opera, ballet and subway. Great staff, rooms are clean and beautiful. Nice relaxing atmosphere in the huge lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Catherine M
Dear Catherine,
So glad to hear you had a great stay! Thank you for your kind comments!
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I had the good fortune to be upgraded to a junior suite, thanks to my HH diamond status. But while the room itself was spacious, the bathroom was seriously basic and outdated. Disappointing. Glad I only had to stay one night. I,d steer clear of this hotel until a renovation, and I do hope it's soon, cos I'm a loyal Hilton fan.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear NN,
I am happy to inform you that we are going to have a renovation starting early next year! We do have different rooms in the hotel with more updated bathrooms. If you come back to visit, ask for an Executive Level Room.
Boston, MA, USA
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stay at this hotel fairly often. It is close to everything I need - business and pleasure. The rooms are clean and the bed are comfy, the staff is nice, the executive lounge is great. Lots of room to sit and a good view of the city from up top.

There are a lot of restaurants around and shopping is close by. It is also close to the subway, which is also very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Veronica,
Thank you for the lovely comments! We look forward to your next visit!
Warm Regards,
Rodney ON
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have stayed here before and enjoyed it, so this time was no exception. The bed was comfortable, the room was spacious, the view was terrific, and the location was central to downtown Toronto. The valet service was great, as I was driving to various locations while my wife was working in the city. The car was brought around quickly and ready to go. For regular patrons of Hilton, their rewards program includes free breakfast on the 32nd floor, also with an astounding view. If you travel enough, this is a great program to be a part of. There is a well known steakhouse on site, but there is an excellent restaurant in house called Tundra, which I will write about separately. Overall, this is a fantastic hotel with a good central location and close to everything.

;

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the view.