“Great hotel at a great rate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Toronto

Hilton Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Guelph, Canada
“Great hotel at a great rate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for my birthday weekend in early November. Here are some thoughts on the place:

RATE: We got a great rate for our room through Hotwire.ca. We knew the area we wanted and didn't care which hotel we stayed in. We took a chance and got booked into the Hilton. If you want the same Hilton Toronto falls in the category of "Downtown Toronto West area hotel" on Hotwire's listings.

ROOM: We were given a room with two double beds. With Hotwire we were not given the choice of bed type or size. You might be able to upgrade at the hotel - I didn't ask and Hilton didn't offer. Room was OK but the furniture was worn. Bathroom was new and clean. No bar fridge in this cheaper room though which was disappointing.

AREA: Close to everything which was great. Osgoode subway station is just outside the main doors and it was easy to get up to the ROM. It was also a 10 minute walk to the theatres on King Street.

PARKING: The Hilton website contains confusing information regarding parking rates. It says it is $40 per day to self-park. When we arrived we were told that this is a Monday to Thursday rate. On weekends it was $24 a day. However, when we checked out it was $36 total (a nice surprise) for our stay from Friday at 4:30 pm until Sunday at 11:30 am. Perhaps if you check out after 12 pm on Sunday you get charged the full rate - not sure.

Also note that there is overnight parking available at the Green P lot at Nathan Phillips Square/Toronto City Hall which may be cheaper.

Overall a great stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Check Hotwire for possible deals on this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank codemonkeyken
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and in Toronto!

The valet parking price you mentioned is in line with the downtown area, however, self parking rates vary based on when you are staying, holidays, evening, etc. and are also very competitive for downtown. Unfortunately, the Hilton Toronto does not own nor manage the parking garage .... we will, however, share your comments with the management company that operates the garage for their information and reference.

Thank you for staying with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Andy Loges

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Korean first
NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

After staying at the Parky Hyatt for years, it was time for a change. I visit Toronto 3-4 times a year for pleasure. Since I always stay at Hiltons for business, I thought i would give this property a try. The location is fantastic and city views from the higher floors are great. The rooms and staff were all excellent as most Hiltons. The only noticible problem is the executive lounge. While the view of the city is wonderful, this is by far is the wrost Hilton executive lounge I have ever been in. Not worth the cost to book an executive room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank airjd
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm pleased to learn that the location, facilities, accommodations and service from staff members was able to meet your expectations!

On another note, I was surprised by your comments that you did not enjoy the Executive Lounge. We do appreciate how vital our Executive Lounge experience is to our customers and regret that the it did not meet your expectations.

We do appreciate your business and hope that should your travel plans include Toronto, that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

very central location; walking distance to all downtown activities and the entertainment district; good service; clean and spacey rooms....what else would one need ? maybe the only downside could be that breakfast buffet was not very creative, but then you have the option of ordering a la carte anyway.

I would definitely prefer the same hotel for my future trips to toronto.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pingucookie
Dear Trip Advisor member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm pleased to learn that the facilities, location and services within the hotel were able to meet your expectations!

We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include Toronto! Have a wonderful week and thanks again for your positive comments!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

If you're in Toronto, this is a very nice hotel to stay at. The Hilton Toronto is an older property, that has been refreshed. They even have a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the hotel. The hotel is on a busy intersection and in the heart of downtown. There is a lot to do and most of it is within walking distance.

Hotel itself: From the exterior you can definitely tell this is an older hotel. You can tell it was refurbished within the past few years. The public areas were clean and spotless. The hotel is really busy, so a lot of guests just roaming around. The decor is modern and very inviting. The scent delivery system, which pumps out their custom fragrance is overkill. There is no parking, only valet - which wasn't pricy like Chicago. Being just a large hotel, the elevators weren't a problem either.

Pool & Exercise Facility: They have both an interior and exterior pool. The pool area was very clean (no trash etc) and free of the smell of chlorine. The outside pool deck was nice, but being end of August it was pretty chilly outside. The exercise facility was also nice - different variety of equipment. It was always busy and I can see it being a problem trying to get a machine if the hotel is sold out.

Executive Lounge: Was very spacious and had great view of the Toronto area. The had beverages and honor bar until late. They had breakfast and afternoon snacks complimentary for those who have access to the executive floor. They could have more employee's help clean up the area. When we went there around noon, there was food and garbage laying around from the breakfast hours. Breakfast was only continental, not what I usually find at large city Hilton properties.

Rooms: We got upgraded onto the executive floor and got a suite. We had a really nice view of the CN Tower and Harbor. The room was spotless and clean. The bathroom area was very clean. The sheets on the bed were crisp, clean and wrinkle free. The bed was free of any stains, hairs or signs of previous guest. Only complaint was that the TV seemed very small for that particular room. It was either a 32" or 37", large, but when the bed is about 15 feet away it seemed very small. A fridge would have also been nice. I can't complain about the fridge because the Executive lounge was 5 floors down the hall.

Free Internet: Being a Hilton H Honors member I got free WiFi and hard wire internet service. Both were pretty good, being the size of the hotel and the number of guests checked in. I constantly got decent WiFi speeds to Skype and use Google Voice. This worked out great because using your cell phone in Toronto would result in huge roaming bills.

Staff: We requested early check-in around noon local hotel time, but when we got there the front desk clerk said nothing was available. She was very professional, but they did guarantee us an early checkin - no worries. We had our luggage held at the Bell desk and went for a stroll around downtown. After a few hours we came back. We checked in with Dwayne, the front desk manager; not the shift manager. His service was top notch and extremely professional. My reservation stated it was a special occasion for us and he went out of his way to make sure we got a really nice room. He is the sole reason why this hotel ranked so high. He upgraded us from a lower floor to the executive floor no questions asked. He was very knowledgeable about the area, and even called a few restaurants for us - saving me a trip to the concierge desk. Even at checkout he walked out to our car and wished us a safe travel. Hilton, this employee is the best and he lives by your motto "Be Hospitable".

The bottom line, a good hotel that has been recently refurbished. Great staff and rates that aren't ridiculous. If I'm ever back in the Toronto downtown area, I would stay here again. Try to book in advance to get lower rates and specials.

Room Tip: Try to get your room to face the CN Tower and Harbor. Higher floor rooms have better views. Take t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samswildworld
Dear Trip Advisor Member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time in Toronto and the overall services and accommodations at the hotel. We will also be sure to share your team member experience with our Front Desk Manager with the rest of our hotel team as a great example of how the "little things" make a big difference to our guests!

We look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans bring you back to Toronto! Have a great day and thanks again for your positive feedback!

Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Overall the hotel was good. I spent two nights here. Didn't have time to get out and explore much of the area. What I did notice is that there didn't seem to be many places right out the door for dinner options. Good proximity to everything downtown 10-15 min walk to most everything you'd probably need, includinf shopping and convention centre.
Ordered a chicken salad for room service, which was good and one of the few things not overpriced on the menu.
Gym seemed decent, good number of up to date treadmills ans other machines.
Room size was great, nice to have a room with a desk and a confortable oversized chair to relax in. Comfy bed, but small pillows.

Bat tub had a few hairs in it, which made me question how well the rest of the room had been cleaned.

Noise was terrible! 6th floor, traffic and horns at all hours! I could hear the person above me blowing their nose and going to the bathroom. It wasn't a "oh,did I just hear that?" But a, "I can't believe I can hear that!" Same goes for room across the hall. Doors don't keep out much noise, so hallway conversations as people walked by late at night were easy to clearly make out. Waling past a room, I could hear the toilet flush. I've never noticed as much noise transfer between rooms in other hotels.(Even when they have been sold out, and you know each room is booked)

Not sure this hotel would jump out at me to return to. I have a few others in Toronto I'd try first as a personal preference. That being said, it still meets the 4 star criteria overall I'd say.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank LANDASTEWART
Dear Trip Advisor Member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us! I was pleased to learn that the location, on site fitness centre, room size and comfort and Room Service was able to meet your expectations.

On another note, however, please do accept our apologies for the lack of cleanliness in your bathtub. We will certainly share your feedback with our Housekeeping team as part of their ongoing and continued training and development.

Also, our sincere apologies for your disruption with noise during your time with us. As each guest has a different tolerance for our "urban" environment, our team works with each visitor to find accommodation that is most suitable for your stay. It seems that our team was not able to "Make it Right" while you were in the hotel and we hope that this incident will not prevent from you choosing to visit us again in the future.

It would be our pleasure to be of service when your travel plans include Toronto, to more clearly demonstrate the services and facilities for which the hotel is well known.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Room was clean and beds comfortable. Hotel is located pretty centrally so easy to get around downtown. There is access to the underground PATH so if the weather is bad you really don't have to venture outside...which a plus in the winter. Since I stayed here in May it was nice and could walk easily to places or hop on a street car/take a cab.

Hotel has a pool which is partially indoors and outdoors so bring suits for the kiddos.

The only major disappointment is that you get charged to use the internet which in this day and age I don't know why in a large city they would charge for it. Other then that I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Barbra H
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member;

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I'm pleased to learn that the facilities and services within the hotel and our convenient location, connected to the underground PATH system, were able to meet your expectations!

Although the Hilton brand does not include WiFi access in all rates as a standard amenity, many packages are available which will include this service along with many other "value ads" which I would recommend for anyone wishing to utilize WiFi access and for whom the complimentary lobby computer stations are not convenient.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back whenever your travel plans include Toronto!

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was there on a business trip 2 weeks ago for a convention at the Hilton Toronto. I stayed there for a few days. I had a base room which was nothing to rave about. The room was average at best. While it was clean, it needs to be updated/renovated. The biggest complaint that I would have was the sound that the pluming kept doing all the time. It's hard to describe the sound on here but if someone from the surrounding rooms would flush water in the bath & toilet, I would hear the water make heavy rumbling noise from the bath and shower drain. I also found that the washroom was quite narrow.
The internet was too slow when I tried to use it... so I gave up after an hour.
When I visit Toronto, I have adopted the Westin Harbour Castle as my favorite hotel. The rooms are renovated and the view of Ontario lake is outstanding. I also like that it's not right downtown as it is more quiet. However some might prefer the location of the Hilton since it is more centrally located.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AlexP81
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor Member ...

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us! We do appreciate your patronage and I'm sorry that the noise from the plumbing was disturbing to you. I will certainly share your comments with our Maintenance Team for their information and follow up. Perhaps there is something that can be done to minimize this noise disturbance.

Our WiFi access is delivered with multiple speed options that are selected at the time of log-in on the portal. We will certainly have our IT team review the functionality to ensure there is not an ongoing issue with the various service options being provided. As this has not been identified by other guests, I believe it may have been an isolated incident and we do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

If your travel plans bring you back to Toronto and you prefer to stay in the downtown core, rather than on the lake, we do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back.