“horrible room!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
TORONTO
“horrible room!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

Booked a room via priceline for a business trip. I found the hotel advice on parking to be very misleading, as they directed me to a lot that was waaay overpriced and 2 blocks from the hotel. I recommend taking a quick walk around to find a better underground option on queen's quay.

Check-in was efficient, but I was shocked when I got to my room and discovered they had given me a room with one of those crazy beds that folds up into the wall. Yes, that's right. The mattress was heavenly nothing. It was a lumpy unsupportive junk-heap, about 6 inches off the floor, giving me an excellent view of the stained carpet. the front desk was almost smug about depositing me in this weirdly shaped coffin of a room.

I stayed in hotels in Toronto for almost two months around this period, and this was the worst hotel of the 6 4-stars that I stayed in. Everything from the room, to the service, the parking, location etc etc was offensive, considering the room costs.

I recommend any of the others in that range - sheraton center, marriott, intercontinental, etc - rather than this place.

• Liked — Leaving and never returning
  • Disliked — the hotel and everything about it
  • Tips/Secrets — cancel your reservation
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cnuckian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

I recently stayed here for a conference. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was nice, but for $250/night, it wasn't THAT nice. I've stayed in cheaper hotels that were nicer. The hotel restaurant was nice, the rooms were clean, and I had a great view from my room. Only a few things to report:

1) The concierge didn't know when the hotel restaurant was serving buffet meals.
2) Construction on the front of the hotel.
3) The hotel charged my personal credit card for my room rather than my corporate credit card.

Overall, Toronto is a nice city. Customs was relatively smooth to get through and it was easy to get around the city. I used the Airport Express bus to get to and from the airport. It was very nice and always arrived on time. The cab drivers lacked personal hygiene, but were all very polite. Shopping was expensive, but there are definitely some cool places to check out. Some very good restaurants, too. I recommend the Harbour Sixty Steakhouse. Best steak I've ever had!

• Liked — Same location as business event
  • Disliked — Billing issues
  • Tips/Secrets — Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank LKR
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2006

The hotel is nice enough, and well located, and we generally didn't have many complaints... except the cleaning service. Uhg. We stayed there five nights and as far as I could tell, all they ever did was make our beds each day and replace towels that we left on the floor (volunteer conservation program). They never wiped the sinks down, they didn't replace the shampoo, they didn't vaccum. We complained a few times, but there was no change in service. We weren't too messy so it wasn't THAT bad, but you'd think with a Westin hotel you'd get different service.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Cleaning service
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for the renovated rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank sfwork
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

From my experience in Toronto, this was the best stay I had.
The hotel has a very good, central location.
We also had a great view of the lake, including the Toronto islands.
The room was good, although not great. The hotel staff was neither good nor bad, just did their jobs.
Two things that were not so good: VERY expensive parking and the restaurant. In there the menu was extremely limited and, in that particular day, we had to watch a supervisor give a big reprimend to the hostess right in front of us. As right as she may have been, shouldn't she do that in the back and not in front of the guests? We felt really bad for the hostess.

Anyway, yes, I would recommend the Westin Harbour Castle. Not a amazing hotel, but a very good one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed March 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AstroJunq
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2006

The hotel is located alongside the ferry terminal and has rooms with harbour views. We stayed in the south tower and it was very comfortable.

As others point out, access is strange and not very user friendly unless you arrive by car each time. There are a few restaurants nearby at the Queens Centre which is an easy walk but for more selection you have to go towards the city centre, Front Street and beyond. This involves walking under two underpasses (the expressway and the railway) both are long and dark. I was concerned over safety and asked a policeman about it. He said it's quite safe during the day as there are lots of people about but after 8pm it's another matter.

We ate in the Queens centre at a grill which was quite good and also at an italian which was really just a pizza pasta place but calls itself "one of the top 10 restaurants in Toronto" to which I would not agree.

I would stay closer to the city centre next time. The Sheraton Centre looks a better location.

• Liked — Very comfortale
  • Disliked — Loaction after dark
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Wirral-GB
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

We visited the Westin in September with a baby and pram. The hotel is situated well above street level and it was very tiring pushing the pram up the long ramp. We soon figured out that we could access the side door with our room key and take the elevator so it was not a problem from then on. We booked the hotel directly through the Westin website and this was slightly cheaper than calling the hotel. Upon arrival we were offered an upgrade to a refurbished room free of charge which was lucky as days before we received an email offering an upgrade for an extra $30 per night!!!
The refurbished room was very nice, we had 2 doubles (the baby had one) and these beds were very small for 2 adults!!! The walls were also very thin and we could hear everything next door were saying. Other than that, the service was great, the pool was never busy and neither was the well equipped gym with TV's on the machines.
The location was perfect for the harbour. The ferry to centre island is next door to the hotel and there are some nice restaurants nearby. The city centre is about 15 mins walk which is not too bad and its nice to be out of the hustle and bustle although you do have to walk under a freeway which I wouldn't like to do late at night.
All in all the Westin was a very nice hotel and I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2006
4 Thank lotusboy
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

Was in town for a convention and stayed at the Westin and Sheraton Centre. The Westin was nice enough except when compared to the Sheraton - Sheratons rooms were bigger, nicer, more comfortable, in general the hotel more attractive and was cheaper. The Westin's location on the Harbour was nice. If I had the option for the same or similar price, I would choose the Sheraton Centre over the Westin Harbour Castle.

Stayed August 2006