“Great location”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Stayed here for 3 nights at $99 USD per night with a lakefront view. I don't know if the room I was in was renovated or not, but it was nice and clean. Service was great. They have an indoor pool and hot tub open until 11:00 each night, but they were usually packed with kids. They apparently have parking available, but I parked at the public lot next door ($15CDN per weekday, $10CDN per weekend day). That turned out to be cheaper than the hotel rate, but I don't think the public lot allows in-and-out privileges. It doesn't matter anyways -- the hotel is within blocks of several subway stations and is at the foot of Yonge Street. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank Corpuscle

Reviewed August 14, 2006

Only 1 towel was provided for 2 people. We requested an add'l towel to be brought up right away so that we could shower and make our dinner reservation. Couldn't wait and dried off with a hand towel -- towel was delivered about 45 minutes later!

Someone set off the fire alarm went off at 4:30am so we trudged dutifully down 26 flights of stairs. Apparently on weekends this is the "norm." Received no refills of water bottles or coffee on the 2nd day of our stay.

Reception was also understaffed; parking a disaster; you almost get run over by taxis or guests as you try to enter/exit the hotel.

Will not stay there again.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank drumlin
Reviewed August 9, 2006

We stayed here for two days recently after booking the same day on Priceline for $85. The hotel is directly on the water a few blocks from the center of downtown.
We were checked in immediately and given a King room on the 18th floor of the South tower overlooking the Toronto Islands to the south and with the CN tower to the west. The room was fairly large and very clean. There were some updates necessary, paper peeling by the windows, but nothing awful. We made one request for an extra bathrobe which was brought promptly.
While the hotel is slightly away from downtown the Harbourfront area is great for walking and there was alot of action at the Harbourfront center a short walk away. There is a streetcar station right across from the hotel that runs right to Union Station, to connect with the subway, or that runs opposite up to Spadina Station, right through Chinatown which is a great area for grabbing dinner. This stop is underground thought at the corner of Bay and Queens Quay though so it is easy to miss! I believe this connection makes the hotel an acceptable location.
We visited the pool which was clean but the hotub was not working. It was hot, but the jets would not turn on. And Valet parking at $30 was a little steep.
Overall, for the price I paid I was quite happy with the Westin.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank fieb8138
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We had a room in the pre-renevated tower. For the price ($89USD) it was satisfactory. However, being the Westin Harbour Castle - a FOUR star hotel we were let down as we were expected much much more!

The room was fairly small. 2 Double beds, normal TV, and workdesk. The bathroom was relatively large. The entire room was clean, but in dire need of rejuvination.

The beds are EXTREMELY comfortable - I will give them that.

All in all, our stay was ok - but if you book request a renovated room as they sound far superior.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank Tournament_Dad
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle the first week of Aug. After reading reviews on this site, I was a bit apprehensive at what I'd find. Those fears were unfounded once we checked into the hotel.

It was very easy to find, as we drove from Michigan. Check-in was a breeze and the front desk staff was very helpful. We stayed in room 2327 in the North Tower. It was right by the elevators, which concerned me at first, but we never heard a peep from the hallway.

Although my travelmate loved the Heavenly Beds, I wasn't all that impressed. Soft comforters and pillows are great, but I thought the beds were hard as a rock. The Heavenly Shower, however, was to die for. The water pressure was great, and the marble and lighting in the bathroom was a beautiful touch.

Some have had issues with the location of the hotel. I didn't find it to be a problem at all. Three blocks to Union Station was nothing compared to the rest of the walking we did all week! I thought three blocks from everything was extremely convenient in a city like Toronto.

I didn't notice or hear any construction going on, so I can't comment on that. We did, however, use the valet parking and felt $30 per day was ridiculous, although appreciated the car staying at the hotel under security.

Overall, I was very impressed with the hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat, especially if I got it through Priceline again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank HazelEyedGinger
Reviewed August 1, 2006

The room was OK, nothing spectacular (I'm assuming it was a pre-renovation room because it was a regular TV, not flat-screen like others have indicated). My only complaint was that the air-conditioning could have been a bit stronger. Location was fine! Right on Lake Ontario (I had a nice view of the lake from my room). True, it's about 3-4 blocks to get to Union Station if you want to take the subway or train, but Toronto is a walker's city. Toronto's transit system is very easy to use, so once you get to Union Station you can get almost anywhere. And, there was always a line of cabs right in front of the hotel. There were two places to get breakfast or a quick bite to eat right across the street, and a convenience store a block or so up the street that was open 24 hours. Again, 3-4 blocks away were plenty of restaurant choices, plus the subway if you wanted to head into a different part of the city. Parking throughout Toronto is horrible, although definitely a bit pricier at the Westin (which was fine for me -- I actually returned the rental car that I had gotten early since I really didn't need it to get around the city). I would never pay the $400+ listed on the door, but for $89 a night on Priceline, this place couldn't be beat!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
7  Thank CWH3
Reviewed August 1, 2006

We stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle for 3 nights at the end of a two week holiday in Ontario. The hotel is situated, as the name suggests, on the waterfront and we upgraded to get a newly refurbished room with a view of the harbour. For what we paid for the room ($270 a night) I don't think the hotel is marvellous value for money however the nearby harbour area is very pleasant at all times of the day. Staff in the hotel were friendly and knowledgeable - there was nothing that was too much trouble for them. The room we had was not the biggest but was adequate for our needs and the view was great. The leisure facilities are also good with an indoor pool, tennis courts and a decent gym. I would recommend the hotel for others and although there is refurbishment work taking place - we certainly didn't notice anything untoward during our stay. However, this may be because we didn't want to take any chances and paid extra for the refurbished room.

5  Thank LyndsyStw