“Not so hot....”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 22, 2005

Just returned from a stay at the Westin Harbour Castle and I don't have many complements for it. First you drive up to the entrance under a low hung ceiling of light bulbs (can anyone say tacky Vegas?). Inside you'll find an even tackier lobby of some marble, cheesy wedding hall reception chandeliers, and an ok bar. Our card keys stopped working twice during the stay, which is a pain from the 31st floor. We had a partial view of the lake and an ugly parking lot. The business center was just pathetic and they had problems everytime I went - it was a mess. The rooms do try to be tasteful, but there are obvious nicks and dings everywhere, which is typical of a conference center hotel. The beds were quite comfy, lots of pillows - so that was nice. Also the bathrooms were pretty large all things considered. Awful closet space, more stuff in the closet, less room for clothes. The whole place just screams conference center. The location is also less than ideal, far from everything - although thank God we didn't have a car w/us, considering the other reviews here. I took taxi's everywhere, which was fine when you consider how much the parking was. The pool area was kind of a mystery, only two chairs on the sundeck had cushions, and the rest of the chairs were filthy. The jets in the whirlpool didn't seem to be in working order either. The best thing about the hotel was the spa - which is a stand alone in the hotel. Extremely friendly knowledgable staff, who took their time and were very helpful in all matters. Otherwise, the hotel remains lackluster, especially for the price. There was just no attention to detail here. If you want so-so, stay here, otherwise I hear there are much better places around, and you can always taxi to the convention center.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank Amymow
Write a ReviewReviews (4,670)

Reviewed May 5, 2005

My boyfriend and I enjoyed one night at the Westin on May 4th. The $249 Getaway pkg included buffet breakfast ($44) and $17 off parking.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Stayed on the 22nd floor. The rooms were clean, spacious and newly renovated. We had a partial view of the lake which was beautiful. The pool area was not so lovely, so we did not swim.
Hotel is in a quiet area (not much entertainment around) however the CN tower was a $5 taxi ride away. The self-parking is 2 blocks away so valet parking is the best option however it costs $30 (but only $13 with the Getaway pkg).
Buffet breakfast was delicious. The crowd was mostly business people (conventions etc.) but it was a nice atmosphere.
I almost did not select this hotel after reading the bad reviews. But I'm glad I decided to see for myself. I recommend the Westin for a quiet getaway.

Stayed: May 2004
8  Thank Hello_Kitty818
A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Muchlike many other reviews my Cadillac was scraped. Took me over an hour of arguing until I got the hotel to agree to repair the damage. Then they required that I get two estimates and I refused, so they agreed to pay whatever it costs. This was only one of many annoyances.

My room was a corner room on the 27th floor, decent views. However, I felt like I was living in a supermarket with the amount of chargeable items scattered in the room.

The Pool was very nice, but in order to find a towel you needed to get a team together and organize an exhibition. I started using my room towels.

My room service took an hour longer than I had been told on the phone all three times I ordered it. First time I left it slide. Second time I issued a mild complaint. Third time I was just plain furious. They sent up some pastries as a peace offering, I sent them back down with a note :-). Manager apologized and said he would remove one of them from my bill. Just another one of the hassles

The icing on the cake is the rude staff. Seriously, the kids at my local McDonald's should hold a workshop on customer service for the Westin employees.

Damaged Car, Excessive Chargeables, Inconvenient Pool, Slow Room Service, and Rude Staff.

Westin's Slogan "We're not happy, until you're not happy!"

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2005

We stayed at the Westin Harbour June 04. When we arrived we were allocated a no smoking room, took the elevator up to find the room had not been cleaned and had definately been smoked in!

reception gave us a new room which had better views, one window we could see downtown and the other out towards the harbour.

location wise it is easy enough to walk to bars/restaurants/shops but maybe not great late at night as a bit desolate. you can though catch a tram just in front on the hotel.

we loved the grocery store just across the way for breakfasts. didn't eat in the hotel.

the room and beds were lovely and a good size. i would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2004
8  Thank rugbybabe77
Reviewed March 19, 2005

My family and another family decided to stay at the Harbour Castle Westin hotel in Toronto for a March Break treat for the kids. I would say that this hotel is definitely average for the price. The one thing that really told us that this hotel was not a "service oriented" hotel was the fact that we ordered breakfast to our suite one morning. This was an expensive breakfast considering it was for 4 adults and 5 children. We ordered decaf coffee. They brought us regular. That was fine, we called down and asked them to bring up what we had ordered. We received a phone call back from the room service "person" very angrily telling us that WE HAD MADE A MISTAKE and that we had ordered regular coffee and not decaf. She was actually angry at us. I have to say that that turned us all off right there. What would a pot of coffee possibly cost that hotel, well it cost them two families never coming back.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank Jife
Reviewed December 25, 2004

Big rooms. Great beds (of course). It's a bit of a walk to anything. But loved the fitness club. Try the sports bar or the sushi place across the road. Or, though it looks like a dive, the gyro place nextdoor.

2  Thank Layover
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, Ontario
Reviewed December 14, 2004

Although the rooms were clean and sufficient, the service of the Westin Harbour Castle was substandard. We are quite disappointed. Our first impression of the Hotel came while we entered the hotel through clouds of smoke. We cannot believe that people were allowed to smoke right at the doors! Not good for an asthmatic and a 7 month old baby to have to endure, not to mention the fact that we all smelled of smoke for the entire weekend we were there. We were also quite angry at check-out time. My husband went down to the lobby to obtain a cart to load our baggage. He was told by a bellhop that it was hotel policy for them to bring our baggage down. Although my husband wasn't thrilled with this, ( since when is this policy???) he came back up and waited, and waited and no one showed up to get our baggage! We waited 15 minutes, and only got service when we called to complain that no one had arrived. Terrible terrible service. We also found hotel staff to be uninformed on the area. They were of no help to us when we inquired about eating establishments. We had to ask several times for a crib to be brought to our room when it was made clear at time of booking that one would be necessary. We also asked for a bottle warmer but were told they didn't supply them. Surprisingly one showed up in our room when the crib was delivered. Again, the staff are quite uninformed.
Needless to say, we did not enjoy our stay as well as we could have.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member