“Great hotel and consistently good”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Patrick in the lounge the best waiter ever. Attentive and very informative about Toronto.
Room Service definitely leaves something to be desired.. All the staff are so friendly and the beds are so "heavenly". Pool area is nice and great for all ages ( dry park are for kids)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Lynnette L
What a great comment about Patrick! Thank you kindly for recognizing him in your wonderful review. I will make sure to thank him for taking such great care of you.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent visit, and I will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I chose the Westin for the beds, and more about that later. This Westin has a premier location on the lake. The highrises climbing to the skies all around it will never take away that view. The hotel is clean and the lobby and bar areas pleasantly buzzy with activity. The staff were nice and the front desk particularly helpful when we had noisy neighbours. The parking staff are great! The breakfasts are also great, with lovely, friendly service. The breakfast buffet is nice, but I would recommend the a la carte, which is a cut above.

There is a good-ish stroll up the slope to the main shopping area, but the hotel convenient for driving, being close to the freeway (no noise from it, BTW).

Most rooms have connecting doors, and there are sound issues, especially when the hotel is hosting a convention or event, which it clearly does all the time. Also, the spa on the fifth floor, though nice, makes the rooms near it (on that floor and above) pretty noisy. The floor higher than this, no problem at all.

Now, about the beds. I chose Westin because of a blissful night at a Westin some years earlier, when the beds were like a rectangle of paradise on earth. I guess not any more, and it has moved to the very-firm mattresses apparently people like. I do not. If you like a hard mattress, then you will have no quibble.

Being able to stroll out of the hotel along the lakefront boardwalk makes up for a lot. So, on the whole, I thought it was a very pleasant hotel with great breakfasts, good bar food and a nice ambience, but with a risk of neighbourly noise and beds that do not yield.

One last word: if you are taking the bus shuttle from the airport, this Westin is its first stop in Toronto, and the last pick-up when heading back to the airport, so you do not get a hotel-tour-of-Toronto as guests of other hotels do. Very nice!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakefront, but you'll be lucky. Stay above the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carocgb
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Carocgb
Thank you for staying with us recently.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed review and am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location, facilities and services. This is exactly how it should feel at Westin!

I apologize that your night in the Westin Heavenly Bed was not what you expected. Because we proud ourselves in our signature beds, and I understand you were disappointed, I would love to discuss with you in further details. Could you please send me your contact information at experienceteam@westin.com?

I will look forward to connecting with you

Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my first and most definitely last time for staying at the Westin Harbour Caslte. The rooms were reserved using my mother's card as they required one to book the room. I was staying there for a convention from Oct.10-14th. When the room was booked they were informed immediately that this was to hold the room only and the deposits MUST be refunded when we got there as we would be using my room mates card when we arrived. The lady taking the reservation had no issue with that and my mother's card would be refunded.

I was also an SPG member, mind you a new one. I received no bonuses for being one or declining cleaning service for my four nights stay.

When we got there on Thursday, again we reiterated to the front desk that my friend was paying for the ROOM and ALL charges are to go to her credit card. They swiped her card and said no problem. We ordered room service that took us 40 min to receive and lied as to what we could and could not get. Also had the worst tasting strawberry daqueri in my life. Obviously made by someone who doesn't bar tend for a living.
On Friday room service was ordered again and the server gave himself an $8.00 tip that wasn't approved nor signed for.
It is now a week after our stay and my mother's card has not been refunded for the deposits, despite my roommates card being charged for the entire stay.
We have been on the phone with their biling department for two days trying to resolve this. We have been on there for four hours today per person. We have been hung up on twice by the billing department.
This is not the level of service I have come to expect from hotels in Toronto. I have stayed at the Intercontinental and Fairmont Royal York and never had issues like this. They listened to me and would resolve things immediately with no run around. I even get better customer service from the local Motel 6.
We finally managed to get to a Manager named Michelle Ng, who finally took a few seconds to actually understand what was going on and to resolve the issue and we have now received email confirmation from her on what was refunded.
In addition to all of this, we were made to feel like second class citizens to the Pan Am Convention attendees at this hotel by staff and security.
As of right now, I will never stay at this hotel again. It would take a lot to get me to go back, especially after learning that my roommate and I are not the only guests that weekend whom are having severe billing issues.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear SBaker78
Thank you for staying with us during your recent conference.

I am sorry to read that your experience with us didn’t meet your expectations.

Every SPG guest – no matter when they joined the program – receive points for their stay. Because you opted in our Make a Green Choice Program, you should have received 500 SPG points or gotten a $5 credit towards food and beverage. I will have our Front Desk team look into that as this is a very unusual comment.

What you describe about the refund is very concerning and certainly doesn't reflect the ethical practices our hotel has become famous for. However, I am pleased that Michelle was able to assist and sort this situation for you.

I would like to personally follow-up with you and would appreciate if you could email me your contact information and reservation number at experienceteam@westin.com

I will look forward to connecting with you,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Westin hotel in toronto is very conveniently located on the harbour front. Only a 10 min walk away from downtown toronto. Rooms are spacious and very quiet. All amenities coffee internet are provided. Good fitness centre.
Breakfast a little bit expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ecdfit,

Thank you kindly for sharing some nice comments on your recent visit – I truly appreciate it.
I am pleased to read hat you enjoyed our location and took time to visit our Westin Workout Fitness Studio.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I usually stay at the Sheraton Toronto Centre when I am in Toronto. It is not as nice as the Westin, but I do like the proximity to the restaurants and Eaton Centre. But then I'm a tourist. We stayed here due to a seminar we were attending across the street so that was very convenient. The water was nice. But I found that it was a bit quiet at night. And not in a good way. We found ourselves heading back towards Eaton Center for dinner and shopping of course. I was not impressed with the restaurant, though the view was nice. I think it was more for the view than anything else. Service was slow and the food was not very good. But the drinks were nice and again, you can't beat the view.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear E M,

Thank you for being a loyal Starwood guest and for staying with us recently.
I apologize that your experience in Toula Italian Restaurant wasn’t entirely satisfying. I will discuss your review with their owner and will ask him to contact you to discuss with you in further details.

Could you please send me your contact information at experienceteam@westin.com?
I will look forward to your email, and once again, thank you for your recent visit.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the Harbour castle for the first time a few weeks ago and like many other Westin properties, it could use a facelift. The lobby itself look like it was recently renovated but the rooms could use some improvement - noisy AC, stained furniture, worn carpet, etc. The bed was however very comfortable and since it wasn't particularly warm, I slept without the AC turned on and managed to get a decent night of sleep.

The bar downstairs is nice but the staff could be a tad friendlier. The food was nothing to write about - just standard pub fare.

Overall not a terrible hotel but doesn't shine either.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear n8fire,
Thank you for your recent visit and for being a loyal Westin guest.

At Westin, our mission is to make sure that our guests leave us feeling better than when they arrived. I read your comments about the room condition and understand that your stay was not flawless - I apologize for that.

I would like to discuss your review in further details and would appreciate if you could email me at experienceteam@westin.com

I will look forward to connecting with you,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a great hotel in a great location. I recommend a lake view room. The staff is attentive and eager to be helpful if they can be found. Expect lines and waits at the bars, check in desks and concierge during events and peak times. It is ideally located within a few blocks of most of Toronto's Downtown, attractions and transportation. Taxi and bus transportation is continuous and practically door to door. The decor is fresh, clean and inviting. The conference wing is huge, easy to access, with plenty of guidance. Pros: Staff eagerness. decor, location, amenities. quiet rooms. Cons:Price, Costly internet access, Costly business center access. Costly local calls, Staff availability. Lines/Waits.

Room Tip: Up high and lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bombero474,
Thank you kindly for sharing your recommendation.

I am sorry you had to experience some delays at check-in and bars – I appreciate you noticing the recently renovated space and am pleased that you like it and find it inviting.

At Westin, we value feedback and realize how important it is for our guests to stay connected while they are on the road. This is why we are currently working on a new tier-pricing process that will offer all our guests 30 minute complimentary connection to check emails.

I look forward to your next visit, Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me at experienceteam@westin.com