“Impressive Service...and I'm Hard to Impress!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #37 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Canada
“Impressive Service...and I'm Hard to Impress!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that I seldom stay in large hotels - I prefer boutique hotel where the service is very personalized and attentive. So finding myself having to stay at a huge Westin property is pretty much my idea of a nightmare.

So, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised...no...make that delighted, by the experience I recently had at the Westin Harbour Castle.

Checkin: Quick, friendly and effiicient - they made changes without even being asked and just changed the room keys they'd just printed when I mentioned that I didn't want to be too close to an elevator and I ended up with a lovely corner room with great views.

The room: Standard large-hotel room. Nothing special or distinguishing, but very clean, comfortable and well laid-out. I was travelling with a friend and it was one of the few places that I could find with 2 double beds.

The beds: Very, very comfortable and appreciated the good quality linens.

The service: This is where the WHC shone - on three separate instances in the course of a weekend, the staff went over and above.

First: Sending up a lovely cheese board when the wine glasses I'd asked for (not, I should note, to consume wine that I'd purchased on the property) took 15 minutes and another phone call to the front desk to arrive. Nice.

Second: Jumping to action when I took a fall around the corner (not on their property...and I made that clear to them) that required a trip to the ER. Not only did they send up security in about 2 minutes after I called the front desk to enquire where the nearest ER was to clean up the gash on my chin, they paid for my taxi both to and from the hospital. Very nice.

Third: When I got back to my room, chin sore and painfully stitched up, there were two lovely bowls of berries for myself and my travelling companion with a hand-written note from security saying that they hoped that they would brighten my day. Really? Soooo nice!

So. Westin Harbour Castle, BRAVO! you have exceeded my expectations on customer care and incredible service. I will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear JuliasOttawa,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing such a comprehensive and amazing review!
I am truly pleased that you were 'delighted' by your recent visit at our hotel and I am happy that you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly Beds as well as your interactions with all our associates.
I will thank our security team for the very personal service they provided you with and I do hope you are now totally recovered and that your chin is not painful anymore.

Thank you, once again, for sharing such a great review. We look forward to your next visit!
Warm regards,
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,044)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stay one night last weekend. Physical facilities were good, although we only used the room, as we were out of the building except to sleep. The actual highlight of our stay was the interaction with Juan on the front desk at check-in. Probably one of my best encounters with a hotel employee in over 40 years of travelling. Friendly, outgoing and helpful in the extreme! Two Thumbs up.

The only drawback of the whole weekend was the outrageous cost of parking anywhere in the downtown area. While the night in the hotel was priced fairly, the cost of parking at the hotel and elsewhere, was high enough to discourage any visitor from out of town that must travel by car. As an aside, the hotel should have noted on their web site that Queens Quay was torn up with construction and access to the hotel from the west is very confusing.

Room Tip: Get Juan on check-in!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John P,

It is always great to read that our valued guests make a personal connection with one of our associates.
Juan is a wonderful front desk associate and I will thank him for the very personal service he provided you with.

Thank you kindly for your feedback regarding the Queens Quay renovation. I will contact our webmaster and ask him to add this to our website quickly.

Stay well,
Alliston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Thanks to the wonderful staff Bin, Jeff, Angel our experience here although a very traumatic time was made relaxing and worry free
The rooms were exactly what we asked for ,as well as clean and spacious a great view
The care given to us and our family super exceded all
Thank you to everyone for having us at your fantastic hotel!!! Best in Toronto
We are back in April for follow up appointments and thanks to Angel we got the same
room at the same great rate!!! WOW

Room Tip: Room service could us some help especially the staff
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear KateNPhil,
What a great review - Thank you kindly for sharing it.

At Westin, our mission is to make sure that our valued guests leave us feeling better than when they arrived, and I am truly pleased that your recent stay was flawless.
I will thank Bin, Jeff, and Angel for taking such good care of you and your family.

Warmly,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Room was very clean, had a nice view, staff were very friendly. I didn't give it a five as I didn't get to experience any of the amenities such as the pool, or food (which I heard was questionable), or much other interaction with the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Traxor,

Thank you kindly for sharing your nice review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon so that you can fully experience all our facilities and services.

Be well,
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Westin in Toronto at least 10 times and we have never had a negative experience. I'm from Toronto originally; we now live outside the GTA, and I love coming back to visit Toronto and all it has to offer. This last time was for my birthday and as we are Starwood "SPG" members, they not only upgraded us to a corner suite (which is our favourite room), it had a separate living area with a dining table for 4 and views of both the CN Tower as well as the Toronto Islands. The room was outstanding, immaculate and well maintained. The front desk staff are not only professional, but go over and above to ensure you have, or need, everything you want. This is one of the best hotel's in Toronto and the only one that offers spectacular views of the Islands, Ferries, and Airport. We will return every chance we get.

Room Tip: Although they cost more, corner rooms give you the best view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW, this is such a great review!

Thank you, dear drcrispo, for sharing it and thank you for being such loyal guests!
Let me wish you a happy belated birthday and please do not hesitate to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit if you need anything.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in March for vacation and used our starwood points. The hotel is huge but the service was very good. We requested a room on a high a nice view and got a nice view overlooking the water. Very pretty. Nice location right by the harbor but lots of construction all around. The pool is very large but very popular.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chelsea33,

Thank you kindly for sharing your great review.
I am delighted that you chose to spend March break with us and had a great time. I hope you did take advantage of our special March break activities and hope to welcome you back this summer - when the construction on Queen's Quay will be done, so that you can truly appreciate Toronto's waterfront.

Stay well,
Ibiza Town, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean accomaditons with a modern look. Beds were comfortable and room was spacious. Location isnt bad. I recommend this place. I would def come back because i love the Westin name. They offer great views,so i would recommend asking upon check in.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear MsUga,

Thank you for being a loyal guest at Westin hotels and thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review.
It seems like you truly enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Be well,