“3.5 stars”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent 8 nights at the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel in February. The hotel is classed as a 4*; however, it lacks a few things we would consider necessary to qualify for 4 stars: communal area appearance, service, facilities.

The Westin is well located in the downtown area, within walking distance of a number of attractions, including the CN Tower, the Toronto Islands Ferry Terminal, restaurants, and bars. Upon our arrival, around 10pm, there were no hotel porters to assist with the doors or our luggage.

The room we stayed in was spacious, clean, with 2 comfortable beds. During our stay, the room was attended to on a daily basis by a very pleasant maid; however, supplies were not forthcoming (tissues, soaps, conditioners, room tea, coffee etc) and we often ran out and had to ask for them. We did not eat at the hotel due to the expensive menu.

During our stay, the pool area was out of action for at least 5 days, due to vandalism. The locker rooms had no locks and the changing area offered little room and no privacy. We found this a turn off. The walls in the hotel are very thin and block out no noise. We could hear guests in the next room, coughing, talking, belching, and hear every word of their conversations. We also encountered noise in the hallways late at night and had to call for security at 3.15am one morning to remove the offenders.

The concierge were pleasant and helpful, and we booked an enjoyable trip to Niagara through them. Upon our check out, we used the lobby printer for our flight pre-boarding passes and encountered a staff member with a bad attitude, unwilling to assist in even pointing out directions.

Above all, the Westin is a pleasant, comfortable place to stay, but it is not cheap and the service and facilities leave some room for improvement. Based on our experience, we would class it a 3 - 3.5 * hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the south side have a wonderful view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear travelJFH,

Thank you for spending a week with us recently.
I am sorry to read that your stay wasn't flawless as it should have been and I appreciate you taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.

Rather than addressing all your points in what would be a very long reply, I would really like to discuss with you in further details and apologize personally.
Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to connecting with you,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in February. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Had a beautiful view overlooking the lake and CN tower from 32nd floor. Didn't try the restaurant but worth it just for the view. Its a great location for a visit to Toronto.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Louiseelana

This is such a great review and I thank you for sharing it.
I will make sure to thank our teams for the personal service they delivered.
We hope to welcome you back soon - maybe so that you can experience a nice dinner at Toula with our amazing panoramic views of the city and Lake Ontario.

Stay well,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I would avoid the restaurant, but stay at this hotel for the cleanliness and great location. We have stayed at this hotel several times and every time we eat at the restaurant we get the same two waiters with the same bad service; slow, does not check back with diners, not friendly. This last trip caused me to write this review. The prices on the menu are also very high. Lastly, heater was noisy and kept waking me up. Pool was also closed.

Room Tip: Request top floors (water side) as construction below could get noisy. Construction scheduled to co...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dan B,

Thank you for sharing some feedback on your recent visit.
I apologize for the inconvenience due to the swimming-pool being closed. We had some vandalism and had to close the whole area in order to avoid injuries for our guests. This was out of our control and we had to close it.

As for what you describe at the restaurant, this is totally unacceptable and I thank you for bringing that issue to my attention. I would like to discuss with you in further details before meeting with the restaurant team and also to know which one of our restaurants you are referring to. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to your email,
Warm regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel back in August of 2012. When we went up to our room, the air conditioning was leaking all over the bedside table and floor. We called the front desk and they were very apologetic for the inconvenience and moved us to an upgraded suite with a beautiful balcony over looking the water. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable with a beautiful duvet as well as pillow service. The spacious bathroom had plush robes to use. The room was very clean. They also upgraded our parking to valet service. This hotel goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and at home. This hotel is right in the heart of downtown right by the
Harbour front over looking the water. You are just steps from the Air Canada Center if you are going to the hockey game or concert! Great location and comfort!

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear coolbeansmich,

What a great nickname and what a great review: thank you for sharing it!
Pure comfort: that's exactly how it should feel for all our guests.

I am glad that our teams dealt efficiently with the AC issue and that the rest of your stay was flawless.
I hope to welcome you back this summer again.
Warm wishes,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great location of this hotel, great view of the lake. Family of 4….2 adult and children age 11,12 were only there for one night but I would have stayed more. Short walking distance to the Air Canada Centre for Maroon 5 concert. The rooms were clean with 2 comfortable beds and a good sized bathroom. We did not eat at the hotel due to late arrivel and early check out. Same complaint as other reviews we paid $40 for valet parking, selfserve was $30 so I would recommend to pay the extra $10 for valet it. Could be worth it if they had cleaned the car.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Helle67,

Thank you for staying with your family recently.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review and look forward to welcoming you all back soon
Kind regards,

General Managee

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went there and stayed for 3 days in summer. It was really nice, closed to everything. Especially the harbour, where you can go for the walk to downtown waterfront or take the trip to visit other islands.

I enjoyed the and pool. Wish it will open 24h , it will be great.

I would recommend to others. Good hotel. Breakfast otherwise was so so and over price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tmai30
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear friend from Montreal,

Nothing can beat our location on a nice summer day and I am delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us last summer.

We have just finished renovating our swimming-pool, so I am confident you would enjoy your next stay even more.
I hope to see you soon

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a wonderful 2-night stay at the Westin Harbour Castle at the beginning of January for a birthday. We couldn't find our way around the expansive lobby, and a Banquet Manager who happened to be walking through, helped us on our way (Thanks again Sarah you were very helpful and polite!). Based on her advice, we dined at the Mizzen and had a delicious breakfast buffet both days. Highly recommended!
When we got back to our room after dinner there was an unexpected bottle of wine waiting for us, courtesy of Sarah herself. Top star world-class service. Will definitely be heading back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear jrad520,

This is an amazing review and I thank you kindly for sharing it.
I am delighted that your stay with us exceeded your expectations and I look forward to see you soon and to welcome you back next year for your birthday!

I will make sure to thank Sarah for her great service and her personal touch!
Stay well,