“Good and Bad”

Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Annapolis
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I would avoid the restaurant, but stay at this hotel for the cleanliness and great location. We have stayed at this hotel several times and every time we eat at the restaurant we get the same two waiters with the same bad service; slow, does not check back with diners, not friendly. This last trip caused me to write this review. The prices on the menu are also very high. Lastly, heater was noisy and kept waking me up. Pool was also closed.

Room Tip: Request top floors (water side) as construction below could get noisy. Construction scheduled to co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Dan B,

Thank you for sharing some feedback on your recent visit.
I apologize for the inconvenience due to the swimming-pool being closed. We had some vandalism and had to close the whole area in order to avoid injuries for our guests. This was out of our control and we had to close it.

As for what you describe at the restaurant, this is totally unacceptable and I thank you for bringing that issue to my attention. I would like to discuss with you in further details before meeting with the restaurant team and also to know which one of our restaurants you are referring to. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to your email,
Warm regards,
Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,124)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel back in August of 2012. When we went up to our room, the air conditioning was leaking all over the bedside table and floor. We called the front desk and they were very apologetic for the inconvenience and moved us to an upgraded suite with a beautiful balcony over looking the water. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable with a beautiful duvet as well as pillow service. The spacious bathroom had plush robes to use. The room was very clean. They also upgraded our parking to valet service. This hotel goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and at home. This hotel is right in the heart of downtown right by the
Harbour front over looking the water. You are just steps from the Air Canada Center if you are going to the hockey game or concert! Great location and comfort!

• Stayed August 2012
Dear coolbeansmich,

What a great nickname and what a great review: thank you for sharing it!
Pure comfort: that's exactly how it should feel for all our guests.

I am glad that our teams dealt efficiently with the AC issue and that the rest of your stay was flawless.
I hope to welcome you back this summer again.
Warm wishes,
Stavanger
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great location of this hotel, great view of the lake. Family of 4….2 adult and children age 11,12 were only there for one night but I would have stayed more. Short walking distance to the Air Canada Centre for Maroon 5 concert. The rooms were clean with 2 comfortable beds and a good sized bathroom. We did not eat at the hotel due to late arrivel and early check out. Same complaint as other reviews we paid $40 for valet parking, selfserve was $30 so I would recommend to pay the extra $10 for valet it. Could be worth it if they had cleaned the car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Helle67,

Thank you for staying with your family recently.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your review and look forward to welcoming you all back soon
Kind regards,

General Managee
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I went there and stayed for 3 days in summer. It was really nice, closed to everything. Especially the harbour, where you can go for the walk to downtown waterfront or take the trip to visit other islands.

I enjoyed the and pool. Wish it will open 24h , it will be great.

I would recommend to others. Good hotel. Breakfast otherwise was so so and over price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tmai30
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear friend from Montreal,

Nothing can beat our location on a nice summer day and I am delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us last summer.

We have just finished renovating our swimming-pool, so I am confident you would enjoy your next stay even more.
I hope to see you soon

Kind regards,
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a wonderful 2-night stay at the Westin Harbour Castle at the beginning of January for a birthday. We couldn't find our way around the expansive lobby, and a Banquet Manager who happened to be walking through, helped us on our way (Thanks again Sarah you were very helpful and polite!). Based on her advice, we dined at the Mizzen and had a delicious breakfast buffet both days. Highly recommended!
When we got back to our room after dinner there was an unexpected bottle of wine waiting for us, courtesy of Sarah herself. Top star world-class service. Will definitely be heading back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jrad520,

This is an amazing review and I thank you kindly for sharing it.
I am delighted that your stay with us exceeded your expectations and I look forward to see you soon and to welcome you back next year for your birthday!

I will make sure to thank Sarah for her great service and her personal touch!
Stay well,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Spent one night at the Westin Harbour Castle for an anniversary with the intent on making the hotel the destination for a short getaway (rather than the city). As such, we were looking for a room that feels like a place to escape to, a hotel that was attentive and comfortable, and on-site restaurants that were worth spending our time and money at.

We had a deluxe corner room with a great view of the lake, harbour, and Toronto island - or at least it was as great a view as you can expect in the middle of a Toronto winter. The room was comfortable, with tasteful art and decor, and it certainly was enjoyable to relax in. It wasn't entirely what we were hoping for in terms of value for the price: the bathroom was nice, but not that classy; the tv was at a funny angle from the bed and too far, and the in-room movies were atrociously priced; and the overall feel of the room was just a couple steps above a decent, average hotel room. We were hoping for more of a "modest luxury" feel. The "heavenly" attribution to both the bed and the bath is a bit of hyperbole; the bed was comfy and the showerhead was nice, but it could have been a nicer bathroom. Still, we had a great stay in the room and enjoyed ourselves immensely, even if it took some time for the room to grow on us.

The service was average - this is a far larger and, as another review on here put it, "corporate" hotel than we expected. It's not for someone expecting a "boutique hotel" model of service. The check-in and check-out folks were great. It was a good way to start and end the stay. But we had service that was borderline unfriendly, condescending, and a little unprofessional at the two restaurants we ate at - the Toula and the Mizzen. At the Toula, despite a $150 bill and our own excitement about a nice, pretty-well-breaking-the-bank dinner out, a couple of the servers were informal and distracted. We were given a snide remark about the "winterlicious" special being over (we just asked if it was available) and talked down to when being told the specials (I don't need to have "prawn" defined for me like I'm a total rube). This feeling of being a stranger when we were hoping to feel welcomed was underscored at the Mizzen restaurant where we had the breakfast buffet in the morning, and were rushed and ignored. Ditto for the service folks. The room didn't have toothbrushes or toothpaste - a terrible omission from room amenities - so we had to call down a request. It was brought up without toothpaste and by a guy itching for a tip. Not a big deal, but still annoying that they wouldn't have assumed we've also forgotten our toothpaste. Similarly, there were no in-room instructions for the internet - which costs a little over $16 dollars per twenty-four hours(!) - so we had to call down and clarify the proper wifi network.

On the positive side, the Toula restaurant served a fantastic meal. I had a rack of lamb and my partner had one of the pasta options. We shared a salad and had a delicious tiramisu for desert. It's a great place to dine on the top floor of the hotel. The breakfast buffet, on the other hand, was a massive disappointment. It was way overpriced and offered a poor selection, average-at-best food quality, and was missing things that would be nice for a buffet that costs more than twenty dollars: (egg station? some hash browns maybe?).

Our overall impression was mixed. It did the trick for a nice night away from the grind of everyday life, but our enjoyment stemmed more from our own enjoyment of each other's company, making the best of what we ended up with during our stay, and persisting in getting what we could out of our experience. The hotel is a comfortable, but rather indifferent place to stay. I'm happy enough, but feeling a little shortchanged on value and service. Plus, we didn't get our breakfast buffet fix (my own informal barometer of a great hotel).

Room Tip: The online reservation system is glitchy. Clarify your desired room with a call to the hotel or at c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gregperbole
Dear oletraveller,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your anniversary and for sharing your kind review.

Feedback is a gift and I was delighted to read your comprehensive comments. Because some of the things you mentioned concern me, I would really appreciate if you could please email me at experienceteam@westin.com in order to discuss with you in further details.

I look forward to connecting with you
Best regards,
Williamsville, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a Jr corner suite #2719 nice room with 2 large windows with a beautiful water view! Room was very clean the only same complaint as previous reviews we paid $40 for valet parking self serve was 30 so pay the extra 10 and valet it. Rude awenibg when we decided to order room service for dessert we ordered a slice of cheesecake & a brownie (med sized) with ice cream and a glass of milk came to $41 I was SHOCKED it was good but it was more than valet for one night with having to pay $15 for Internet total bill $332. Not cheap but the bed is super comfortable view is beautiful just be prepared and hold back from ordering room service by the way the desserts were $11 on the menu milk $6. WOW but good. When we got here it was a SLOW wait to register that was my only downfall.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear BuffaloNYGirls,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.
I am glad that you all enjoyed your stay with us, and will discuss your comments about room service with our Director of Food and Beverage at our next meeting.
I would love for you to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can make sure your next visit is flawless.