“Lakeside hotel close to downtown Toronto”

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #32 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Ibiza, Spain
“Lakeside hotel close to downtown Toronto”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Location was ideal, by the lake, 15' walk to downtown and the bus stop to the airport was right next to the hotel.
Good size rooms but a bit outdated and needing a facelift.
I had a room on the 35th floor with excellent views of the lake and the city.
Good size pool and average gym, but enough for a business hotel.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear IBZVLG,

I am glad that you managed to get a room on one of our highest floors - they are the best ones to take on the amazing views of Lake Ontario!
Thank you for sharing your review and I look forward to your next visit when you will be able to take advantage of our newly renovated swimming-pool!

Edwin Frizzell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Aditya took fantastic care of my reservation as well as the other rooms under my name. He was warm, friendly and welcoming upon arrival and quick to take care of any inquiries and accommodations. He was extremely helpful and thoughtful in his service which made our New Year's Eve stay even more memorable - he is a true hotelier! It was a 4 year family reunion surprise and everyone loved their rooms. My sister's 8 year old son especially loved his parlour room and will remember the experience for a very long time.

Another one of your colleagues who really shined was Jennifer (I think her name was spelt Jeniffer though?) also from Front Office. She was dealing with the guests waiting in line to check in on New Year's Eve. She was enthusiastic, friendly and helpful - the perfect person to greet guests who are waiting in line to check-in. The fact that she took notes and was quick to get back to us about our inquiries made the check-in process a lot easier.

I also shared some feedback with Jennifer regarding the Security Officer (female) who was working on New Year's Eve near the guest room lifts and checking room cards. This Security Officer was rude, sarcastic and abrasive with guests when a number of us were trying to get back to our rooms after midnight. A "Happy New Year" greeting would have been a great way to engage with the guests but unfortunately she did not greet anyone with anything other than "Show me your room card". She does not represent the Wetin brand positively and based on discussions with other guests in the lift that night, it would be best if she was perhaps used in a non-guest facing capacity in the future. When I mentioned this to Jennifer the next morning, she showed empathy and genuine concern regarding the experience; guest service seems to come quite naturally to Jennifer.

The other interactions with Concierge and the lobby restaurant as well as lounge were also friendly and warm. We wanted to have a new year drink in the lobby lounge but unfortunately it was closed when we got back from the fireworks and I wonder if in the future it might be a good idea to keep the lounge or half the lounge open for a couple of hours so that guests can come back from dinner and fireworks to have a final round of drinks before heading up to their rooms. The room amenities in the hotel were fewer than I expected and I was surprised to see the lack of basic technology in room facilities, (e.g. free wi-fi, iPod docking stations, remote-controlled curtains, lights, etc.) The Heavenly beds however were everything I remembered and I almost slept through my check-out time because of the wonderful bed!

Thank you for a wonderful start to the new year and I wish you and your hotel team a fantastic and prosperous 2013.

Pooja

Room Tip: Both views are wonderful so it depends on personal preference - lake view or city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Msvaid,

What a great start of the year indeed for you and your family!
Reading your review was a pleasure and made me really proud of my teams here! I will make sure to congratulate Aditya and Jeniffer for their outstanding service.
The are working tirelessly to make sure that every guest has a flawless experience.

I am sorry to read about the disappointing encounter with our security agent and I will make to address it promptly.
Please kindly email me at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next stay so that I can make sure that your next visit is flawless and that you have a late check-out time to enjoy our Heavenly beds longer!

Boston ma
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Considered this hotel was rated 4 stars, I'm actually disappointed during my stay.
My husband and I stayed in this hotel between Dec. 30 to 2 Jan. to celebrate my birthday and new year. We all the choices we had, we decided to stay in this hotel because we had such a good experienced in Florida.
Front desk:
As a SPG member, under a normal condition we expected that we would be assigned under SPG floor, instead we were put into a non SPG floor plus right in front of the elevator. So my husband called and we switched to SPG high floor even though it was still in front of the elevator. We felt much better once we changed the floor as we know New Years Eve many visitors would parties and made tons of noises.
Room:
General speaking we think this hotel is running down. Our room carpet had few white spots properly from salt. View was great, room was clean.
Only disappointment was such a four stars hotel there were no shower gel nor cottons, instead of glass we had plastic cups. We assumed it was because near New Year Eves hotel prevent safety in room. That's what we hoped for.
Hotel services:
The manager of the hotel Emily was very profession and understanding. We had experienced warm water showers so we asked the hotel to see what's happening. Although we waited for 20mins of getting to another room for shower, we understand that it was because the manager trying to test few rooms water so that we can take a shower. At the end we got coupons for 2 days breakfast.
One disappointment of the hotel services was on New Year's Eve. The guesses of this hotel all the suddenly becoming a students/kids camp. Nothing like a 4 stars hotel. Since we stayed in this hotel, I decided leave all my personal belongings including room key inside our room and just had my husband have a room key. When we wanted to return our room, the security speak loudly that " I asked people to read this memo and told each individual should have their key with them 3 times" I looked at my husband and he said to this woman " We never get this memo and who you told cause for sure it wasn't us." She insisted that we need to get a second key from the front desk.
At the end we did, but what made us very disappointment was the arrangement. First, hotel guest never get a personal memo of this kind of arrangement, 2nd, students or teens staying at Westin made this hotel no difference then Marriott Courtyard...

Room Tip: Rooms at north tower close to elevator facing water front. Receive daily morning sun.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwinFrizzell, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear ccookie,

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and understand how we have fallen short of your expectations. I apologize for this disappointing experience and would like to assure you that it is most definitely not the standard of quality our teams are proud of at the hotel.

This is why I would like to discuss with you in further detail- would you please email me with your phone number at experienceteam@westin.com?
I look forward to our discussion and in the meantime, the team and myself wish you a Happy New Year for you and your family.

Kindly,
Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were staying in the hotel during New Year. Very high quality customer service at the check in and check out, and at anything related to help desk. Taxi service thru the hotel was perfect. Rooms are very clean and look great. Breakfast and bar seem to be a little overpriced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank hawthornwoods
Dear hawthornwoods,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and thanks for staying with us on New Year's Eve. I am pleased that your experience with us was flawless and I hope to welcome you back soon.
Winnipeg
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed in Toronto for 2 nights and being winter we didn't get out a whole lot so thought we'd ask for a lake view in an upper floor. Our stay on the 32nd floor facing lake Ontario (Porter Airport and Toronto Island was our view) was very good. The room had a nice couch for hosting our one guest whom we were meeting in Toronto so we could visit in our room. The bed was comfy and the staff at the front counter was helpful. I booked the room from a discount website getting the CAA rate of $109 per night and was pleased with the stay. The valet parking for the rental car was high ($40/night) but we already know that downtown cities simply cost to bring a car. We used the subway from there to go out for meals and didn't take the car out - is just so much simpler that way. The pool looked nice (didn't use it) and there is a spa on site as well (didn't use it). In summer it would be very crowded in that area (loading for the ferries is right outside the hotel) but the walks along the harbour would be beautiful. We spent one evening at the bar/lounge in the lobby overlooking the harbour area and had wonderful service, drinks, and snacks while visiting - very very pleasant! We stay downtown Toronto about once a year it seems and try different hotels every time - this one was better than most!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LoisWinnipeg,

Thank you for sharing such a great review - it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your visit in Toronto and your stay with us.
I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back for your visit next year.
Thanks again, and happy new year!

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Let me preface this with I'm a "hotel snob". I stayed at the Westin from Christmas Eve until New Year's Day and overall it was just ok. The room was clean but, there are some repairs that need to be done and the overall hallways need some sprucing up. There was a crack in the vent in the ceiling but, the lake view as amazing and very tranquil. It can be a bit noisy if you are near the elevators. The spa is just ok and not very clean like the ones in NY but, it's ok in a pinch as the staff is friendly. The gym is basic and small but, gives you what you need for cardio, weights, etc. The food was tasty with a good presentation. The Cesar salad was great, the chicken wings and egg white omelets were good. Nothing fancy nor five star but, good if you don't feel like venturing out into the Toronto cold. The bar is nice but, the service is just ok. The parking is ridiculous at $40 per day without in and out privileges, opt for parking in the lot next door for much less. I also had to request the staff to dust the room as the phones and desks had about three inches of dust on them to point where I coughed when I picked up the phone. Would I stay here again..yes but, it wouldn't be my "go to place". I would try for a better rate at one of the boutique or truly four or five star hotels. The staff was friendly and it was clean but, if you're used to the Ritz, St. Regis, etc. this Westin is definitely "slumming".

Room Tip: Ask for what you want. They will probably charge you for it but, ask anyway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear

Let me start by thanking for this great feedback you posted. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and letting me know what you thought about your stay with us.
I am sorry that your experience at The Westin Harbour Castle didn't meet your expectations and I understand where we have fallen short in our delivery.

I would really appreciate if you could email me with a phone number at experienceteam@westin.com so that I can talk to you in further detail.
I look forward to connecting with you and wish you a Happy New Year.

Philadelphia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I fly in and out of the island airport to visit Toronto for work frequently. This hotel is a 5 minute ride from/to the airport. Rooms are a little boring, but almost always very clean and comfortable. Lobby area is welcoming and has the good Westin smell. Restaurant has a good breakfast, have never tried dinner.

The lake views can be fun when the weather is nice. Not a place to stay if you want to walk around downtown Toronto, as it is a bit cutoff by hghways. For a good clean business stay if you are okay with cabbing it to restauarants and stores, this is a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DWtravelsalot
EdwinFrizzell, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear DWtravelsalot,

Thank you for staying with us during your many business trips to Toronto. It is always a pleasure to welcome you.
I thank you for taking the time to share your review and I am pleased that you noticed our white tea scent in all common areas.

I wish you a Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you back!