“Rooms with nice views but quite noisy”

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Livorno, Italy
“Rooms with nice views but quite noisy”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you look for an accommodation with a nice view on the lake, the Westin Harbour Castle offers it for almost all the rooms of the two "towers". Check in was fast and the concierge was very helpful to provide plenty of information on possible visits to the Niagara Falls.
The hotel is 15 minutes walking from the downtown area. Rooms are spacious although they need some refurbishment. The minibar was empty and no complimentary bottles of water were present in the room. Bed was extremely comfortable. Bathroom amenities were standard. The biggest fault is that rooms are not so soundproof so that I could hear any kind of noise made by my neighbours. I know from my colleagues it was the same in their bedrooms.
The breakfast area is very small if compared against the size of the hotel. The buffet offer is very limited and some of the pastries - including the croissants - tasted like plastic. The top floor restaurant - Toula - was on the contrary a plesant experience both for lunch and dinner. Service was fast and always attentive to customer needs. Somehow revisited Italian food, delicious tiramisu'. Superb view of the lake and the little local airport.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms close to the elevators and/or ice machines as they are even noisier than the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Giovanni141967,
Thank you for sharing your review.

What you described is very concerning and certainly not the service we are proud of at the hotel. I appreciate you giving us this great feedback on your stay and I would really like to connect with you and discuss in further details. If you could please contact me at your most convenient time at experienceteam@westin.com

I look forward to connecting with you
Kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Harborfront this past weekend for a CMA convocation ceremony and dinner. The treatment was excellent. Great dinner, music, company. Room was very nice with a beautiful waterfront view and the bar service at the dinner party was wonderful. The Votre Beaute Day spa within the hotel was beautiful and their stylist "Sasha" did a great job and the staff was very welcoming and prices were comparable to some of the spas in Windsor but nicer! Moustapha the bartender outside the party room (which i can't remember the name of now) was a pleasure and greeted us each time and was really laid back and friendly. I told him I'd write a review and I am! Service like that doesn't always happen. Thanks for a great experience.

1 Thank leezer1204
Thank you for sharing your experience with us leezer1204.
Our service is what sets us apart from other hotels in downtown Toronto, and we are happy to hear you experienced just that at The Westin Harbour Castle. I will thank Mustafa and our associates at the spa for the great service they provided during your stay.

This is exactly what Westin customer satisfaction should feel like.
Hope to see you soon!
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

We chose the Westin since it was close to the Sony Centre, as we were in town for a concert there.

Overall, most of our experience was exactly what you would expect with a Westin. The bed was comfortable, the service was great, and the room were very clean.

There were only a few small issues with the stay. I thought the bathroom was a bit small, and expected a bit more room. Also, the hotel is a bit far from most of the main attractions and restaurants in the city. In the summer when the harbour front is hopping, this would be a more desirable location.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Brian J,

First of all, let me thank for taking the time to share you review on your recent stay with us.
I’m happy to know that your visit was as good as you expected. Guest satisfaction is what our hotel revolves around and we are pleased to know that you left us better than when you arrived.

Hope to see you soon! I can assure you that the winter season is also an exciting one on the waterfront with winter festivals and ice skating rink nearby!
Stay well
Reviewed October 28, 2012

What should have been a very pleasant stay was marred by a very disruptive woman in the next room. Clearly
inebriated and loud, she began to intentionally antagonize us (two adults, two young children) with obscenities and rattling the connecting door after 'security' asked her to keep her volume down.

It's one 1AM and the children were terrified. After the third futile call to the desk I had the option of confronting this individual (whose rants I captured on my iPhone) or ask for a change of rooms. We chose the latter to avoid acerbating the situation.

The Westin did nothing; staff was indifferent. They sent up a bellboy on his own to move our luggage to another location. This was, to them the simplest fix - move the family with young kids vs dealing with this individual.

My wife and her staff were there for 4 days on business. We came up to visit. Lovely hotel, excellent location.

Never again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gangoos
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear gangoos,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay in September.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you and your family had at our hotel, and the interactions you had with our associates left you will the feeling of not being cared for. This type of behaviour from our guests next door is totally unacceptable and I would like to assure you that we are taking this very seriously. Rest assured I am personally following up with my team so we are able to avoid this situation in the future.

In the meantime, I would really appreciate if you could send me a private message or email me at ExperienceTeam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to further discuss.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review to let us know where we have fallen short in our service delivery and standards.

I look forward to connecting with you soon,

Eric Ashton,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Simply I want to thank Sandeep Badwal at the Toronto Starwood office who made multicity booking a less stressful experience . 14 people and 30 cities over 2 1/2 months. She really took the time to make sure I had options. I've stayed at the Westin in Toronto many times always a great experience.

Dear Chase333,.

I was pleased to read your post and thank you kindly for posting it.
I will make sure to congratulate Sandeep on your behalf - her and our sales department do a tremendous job to make sure our guests's expectations are exceeded.
THANK YOU for sharing this great story.

We hope to welcome you back soon
Sumner, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed several nights on business. View is great, location is nice and a PATH subway station is close by. Overall, it was good, although it is starting to show its age and there are signs of maintenance not quite keeping up. But the room was good, the bed very comfortable and the amenities what you'd expect. Nice gym and pool too, and they'll rent you some running shoes and workout clothes for a few bucks if you didn't bring any. In season, it's nice to run west from there and pick up the trail along the lakefront.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review John R.

The Westin Harbour Castle’s main goal for business travelers is to create a relaxing environment where the convenience that one would have at their disposal at home would also be readily available at our hotel. This leads to having the ability to proceed with daily routines so you can be revitalized.
Thanks for taking advantage of our great Gear Lending program in partnership with New Balance and we hope to welcome you next time you are on the road.

Best regards,
Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

I spent 4 nights in this hotel and first had a room in the North tower lower stock at the end of the hallway. That room made me feel uneasy and unsafe. It just so remote and had two connecting doors. Just spooky, I asked for a room change, staff was helpful and stayed in the North tower but went up and had a better view (lake). This room was much better and felt much safer. The rooms are decorated nicely and with lights on it looks cosy, otherwise a bit triste. The gym was good. The concierge helpful. So to summarize: hotel only ok for a business trip.Its too big to be cosy, its too impersonal to be special. the view though is amazing. As a woman take a room closer to the elevator. I would not come here with my kids.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Liesbeth M.,
Thank you for your taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us.
I’m happy to hear that any complications experienced during your stay were met by our friendly and dedicated hard working associates, and that your visit was relaxing.

However, I have to admit that I am concerned by some of your comments and would like to assure you that we are a family-friendly hotel with a kids' activity centre, and some great programs in place over the summer and March Break including cookie baking sessions, meeting with reptiles, balloon twisters, movie nights... It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family. If you decide to book a stay with us, please kindly email me at experienceteam@westin.com and I will make sure you are in good hands.

Thanks again for sharing your review,
Be well,