Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

There is construction all around the hotel - that is not a factor in my review.

The hotel lobby is quite nice. Starbucks and Shoeless Joes is quite convenient. There is another restaurant but I didn't utilize it.

The check-in was fast and efficient HOWEVER not pleasant in any way, abrupt almost to the point of rudeness. I guess that "how you made them feel" customer service statement applies here.

The common areas of the hotel were pleasant and clean

The room:
I personally don't like having an adjoining room. I really have to remind myself when checking in to ask for a non-adjoining room. I don't sleep well and I'm constantly worried (even if unwarranted) about it. Thankfully I think the room beside me was vacant the first two nights. The third night unfortunately it wasn't and I hardly slept at all. I wish that hotels asked your preference before assigning it !

The room was spacious and had a great view of the CN Tower. However the complaints about the room noise are warranted. It's not the construction outside .. it's the noise inside. For example - the first day I was delayed in my room and housekeeping was cleaning the room beside mine. I could actually hear her drawing the curtains. When the adjoining room was occupied I could hear every word they said (and not speaking loudly) .. I heard the crack/fizz of them opening a beer !!

The housekeeping in my room could have been a lot better. It was as though it wasn't thoroughly cleaned in a quite a while (ie grungy on the front of the bathroom counter etc etc) The light switch in the room was broken at the edge and while I understand that it's very minor those little minor things add up. A quick and cheap fix that the hotel should have done.

Check-out: I had read a manager's response on TripAdvisor and noted that I could get a check-out as late as 6:00pm. Not actually the case. I was at a conference until 330 and wanted to check out at 430. I was told that late check out was only for Preferred Members. There was room at the hotel so that wasn't a factor (I checked availability prior to the request)

Overall an ok stay for the price. I would stay again, at the price I paid but not more.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Kim F,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel and share with the world! I will endeavour to answer to each point individually.

Our city, as a whole, is in the midst of somewhat of a transformation with our land parcel, and the hotel itself, no exception. The outcome will be stunning, however the 'get to' portion of this revitalization is often frustrating and disruptive....for this I am sorry. We are excited for the outcome and do hope that you have the opportunity to return to experience the final product.

Our reception is generally one of our strong points hence the dismay I feel when reading your comment. Your are not a robot and should not be treated as such when registering with us or at any point throughout your stay. I appreciate your feedback and will work with our team to ensure that each and every touch point is given the Yes I Can service that it demands....thank you.....

Through the course of our room renovation we are making improvements to the noise penetration in each of our guest rooms. While I can not promise that you will hear nothing, I can tell you that this facet of our experience will be refined and improved once renovations are completed. This portion of the renovation was an additional item that was added thanks to feedback such as yours Kim F, thank you for this and keep it coming!

No maintenance/housekeeping issue is small/minor. This should have been acted upon prior to your arrival and for this I am sorry. There are times when items do get missed. However in this scenario this should have been reported and acted upon in haste. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. This will provide excellent coaching material for the future.

Finally, we do venture to be as flexible as possible when allowing for late departures. I believe you will note that in the response you are referring to the late check out is based on availability and more importantly room type availability. As I am reading this though I do see that the flexibility message has not gotten through. I take this as a personal failure and I am sorry that we were not more adaptable to your needs. I will continue to work with the team to ensure that we are looking at each situation in isolation and that we continue to improve in this area....

Kim F, great review and great feedback. We will take this information and work to improve the areas you have cited. I am glad to read that you will think to give us another opportunity in the future. We look forward to having you back!

Kim F, thank you again for your time.

Greg Hives
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

As the hotel is under renovation, we snagged an already updated room on the 7th floor. The room had new furniture, a wood floor and an updated bathroom. We hardly heard any renovation going on as room renos are limited to lower floors. I was an exhibitor at IDS14 in Toronto and managed to get good , quiet sleeps for the long days during the show. A very good place to stay! Norman

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Norman P,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share a review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our new look and that our continued revitalization was not of any disruption. We are excited for the eventual complete outcome and think it will compliment the final product being produced outside as well.

Norman P, thank you again for your time and for sharing your perspective with the Tripadvisor community. We are looking forward to having you back with us very soon!

Petrolia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hotel is currently under renovations and we were lucky enough to get an already updated room on the 7th floor. It was a fantastic looking room - all new modern furniture, wood floor and completely updated, modern bathroom. The hotel has a parking garage below and parking is additional. The renovations are carried out during daytime hours only, so it was quiet at night. There is also plenty of road construction going on outside, however it does not impede accessing the hotel at all. Great place to stay! Close to Rogers Centre, Amsterdam Brewhouse, SteamWhistle Brewing and Ripley's Aquarium.

Room Tip: Lake view on the south side & be sure to ask for a renovated room!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Currie_Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share a review of our hotel.

We are proud of both our location and our ever evolving product. Having just completed the lobby, with a new Starbucks, we re-commenced our room renovations. The results have been fantastic and, we feel, will fit right in with the sort of soon to be complete Harbourfront revitalization that you alluded to.

We are excited for the future and the here and now. We are glad you were able to share in our excitement and enjoy the 'future' of our hotel!

Curri_Chris, thank you again for your time and for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Shaver Lake, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My last stay at this hotel was very enjoyable. Our room was very nice and spacious. The bed was also oversized as well. It is rare to have that much space in a downtown hotel based on my travel experience. The bathroom was rather large as well. Had a nice view of the harbor from the room. Other reviews indicated that the noise was an issue. That was not my experience. The construction was during the day which was not disruptive. The staff was very friendly and professional. I will stay here in the future if in the area.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Greg H, Director of Sales at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Anthony C,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us.

We receive regular comments about the spaciousness of rooms and the unique view of the harbour; I am glad that you were able to experience it first hand.

Our employees are and continue to be our number one asset. They consistently strive to make each and every guests’ experience a memorable one; I am happy to read that they continue to exceed expectations.

Anthony C thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kent, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

You get a very good hotel in a great location for the price. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. We had a great view of the lake. The shower is also very good and the beds were massive. We didn't eat in the restaurant though and did not use any of the other facilities as we were only staying the 1 night and had other activities booked.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Parren75,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay with us.

I’m happy you selected to stay with us for the one night while enjoying your activities in the city.

Parren75, thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to, not only enjoy the spacious guestrooms and great view, experience the culinary delights of Watermark Restaurant and Lounge on the 5th Floor.

Kind regards,

Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I got booked here due to airport delays at Pearson after spending the night in line at the airport.

I arrived early (10am) and was able to check in (so grateful!) immediately. The room was very modern, and while a little far from the downtown core, it was only about a 20 minute walk to queens street west - even in the cold this was fine.

The only thing holding back the 5th star (as noted by other guests) it was very very noisy in the morning with the construction. I know this is out of the hotels control, but it should be known before arriving.

I was also grateful for a slightly later checkout time (1pm). Thanks again for helping me out of a tough situation at Pearson!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
losttravelling,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Although we are sorry that you had some challenges at the Airport, we are thankful that we were able to welcome you and assist you in a tough situation.

Toronto is in full scale preparation mode for the 2015 Pan American Games and construction is definitely a challenge throughout the city. We’ve done our best to communicate this via our web site as well as the third party sites such as Expedia, etc..

losttravelling, I want to again thank you for your time and for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your next visit with us, hopefully under better circumstances.

Kind regards,

London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had continuous problems with this hotel from start to finish. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone and strongly advise you to make alternative plans if at all possible.

First, the noise from ongoing construction work was terrible. We were awoken after a 2am arrival by a person drilling loudly next to our room early in the morning. The air-conditioning in our room was also really noisy and did not work properly, so our room kept getting too hot or cold.

Second, the location is really inconvenient - over 1 mile (or nearly 2 kms) to the nearest metro stop, including a dangerous stretch of road with no pavements and fast cars. I guess this was partly our fault for not checking the location more closely, but the hotel website is deliberately misleading on this point, as it says "you're just a short walk from Union Station".

Third: we were not allowed to have a late checkout even though the room was available. The Radisson website says the following:

"Check-out from Radisson hotels as late as 6 p.m. (subject to availability) instead of the normal check-out time at no extra cost. Our aim is to accommodate the needs of our guests and offer tailor made flexible solutions."

We were told this information (which had been key in making the booking) was "wrong". We then attempted to make a complaint about this misleading information under the Radisson guarantee. The Radisson website says the following:

"100% Guest Satisfaction: If you aren't satisfied with something, please let one of our staff know during your stay and we'll make it right or you won't pay. It's guaranteed."

However, it turns out this guarantee is worthless. The front desk refused to record our complaint or do anything and we have heard nothing since. The front desk stated that the guarantee was not followed at the hotel. The front desk staff woman was also very rude to us. As a result we had to check out early on the last morning, which was inconvenient and meant we could not use the hotel's facilities.

Fourth, the Radisson website says: "Free High-Speed Internet: We don’t just want you to stay with us, we want you to connect with us. That’s why high speed Internet is free with your stay."

In fact, the hotel makes you pay for "high speed internet". A "basic" and very slow connection is offered free provided you only need to connect 3 devices or less. When we queried this the front desk said the website was wrong, again, and that we shouldn't rely on the Radisson website at all as it is often wrong.

Fifth, we were given the worst room in the hotel as we had booked through a third party website even though the hotel was virtually empty. The staff member checking us in confirmed that this is routinely done as a punishment for booking through a third party website rather than direct with the hotel. We requested a move to a more normal standard room, but were denied.

Sixth problem – the mini-fridge in our room malfunctioned and froze everything in it. When we complained, nothing was done. I don’t think they even recorded our complaint. We had to throw away all our food.

Seventh, the hotel pool was closed - this was not notified before booking.

In summary, I wish we had gone somewhere else! But I look forward to the inevitable response from the hotel manager promising to magically fix all the complaints mentioned. NB I will update this review if the Radisson offers anything meaningful in respect of the problems we faced.

Room Tip: Beg for a high room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank FarTravellingJames
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
FarTravelllingJames,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a very detailed review of our hotel. I will attempt to answer each point as you have laid them out.

Our renovations and the revitalization that comes along with them can be quite noisy at times. Admittedly the period that you did stay encompassed some demolition work which does involve decibel levels that exceed the normal sounds of sawing and nailing. During this time, as is indicated on the first page of our Expedia listing, there will be periods that are louder than others. I am sorry for the disruption this did cause to you and your family.

With regards to the air conditioning/heating unit & mini-fridge I do not note these issues as being reported. Yes we should always be ensuring that every chattel is in functional working order; however there are times that items are missed or do breakdown in between periods of checking and arrival. We should have and can be better than this….thank you for the feedback. Please note that we log all requests and follow up with each and everyone diligently. If we had known I have no doubt that we would have done the same in this situation.

I am proud of our location as we are close to all major attractions such as the CN Tower, Aquarium (5 minutes walking). The transit in the area is affected by the road work however Union Station is 10-15 minutes walking....often this is the best case scenario as buses do extend travel times in Toronto traffic.

With regards to the late checkout; it is our goal to be as flexible as possible. However there are times where, although not fully committed, certain room types can be sold out, including rooms with two queen size beds. I definitely believe we could have been more flexible in the check out time offered (1pm) and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our Yes I Can Service mantra can never be perfected…..there is always work to do!

I am sorry you had issues with the internet service. The free system is set at 3 mbit and can accommodate any number of devices you wish to throw at it (just ask!). This type of speed is great for checking email or surfing the web but does suffer when it comes to streaming large files like video. I will note your issue and see if there was a problem with the service during this time.....

The room that you were given is in need of renovations, hence the reason a full blown room renovation is currently underway, this I accept. However may I ask if you requested a change of rooms if not satisfied? While I do not see any of my staff responding in this manner I was not there and would appreciate if you could respond in due course with a name, time and date so that I am able to inquire/follow up/correct....thank you!

Our website does indicate that the outdoor pool is open seasonally. Being January in Toronto, most especially with the conditions as they have been, I would hope that this would be sufficient notice that the pool would not have been open. I am sorry if this was not clear.

FarTravellingJames, unfortunately I do not have contact information for you as your reservation was made through a 3rd party website where this information is not provided to us. I believe you are in possession of my business card and I would encourage you to contact me.

Finally, I can not promise a magical fix to any issue, however I believe that we work hard each and everyday to ensure everything, in each of our guest rooms, is up to standard. Items can slip through at times and we encourage our guests to call us on it so that we have the opportunity to make it right....this in an integral part of the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

FarTravellingJames, I am truly dismayed and sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. Many of these issues should have been identified prior to your arrival. I sincerely hope that you do contact and allow for follow up and possible resolution.

Thank you again for your time.