“Great stay!”

Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront
Ranked #15 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 29, 2014

As the hotel is under renovation, we snagged an already updated room on the 7th floor. The room had new furniture, a wood floor and an updated bathroom. We hardly heard any renovation going on as room renos are limited to lower floors. I was an exhibitor at IDS14 in Toronto and managed to get good , quiet sleeps for the long days during the show. A very good place to stay! Norman

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Norman P,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share a review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our new look and that our continued revitalization was not of any disruption. We are excited for the eventual complete outcome and think it will compliment the final product being produced outside as well.

Norman P, thank you again for your time and for sharing your perspective with the Tripadvisor community. We are looking forward to having you back with us very soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Hotel is currently under renovations and we were lucky enough to get an already updated room on the 7th floor. It was a fantastic looking room - all new modern furniture, wood floor and completely updated, modern bathroom. The hotel has a parking garage below and parking is additional. The renovations are carried out during daytime hours only, so it was quiet at night. There is also plenty of road construction going on outside, however it does not impede accessing the hotel at all. Great place to stay! Close to Rogers Centre, Amsterdam Brewhouse, SteamWhistle Brewing and Ripley's Aquarium.

Room Tip: Lake view on the south side & be sure to ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Currie_Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share a review of our hotel.

We are proud of both our location and our ever evolving product. Having just completed the lobby, with a new Starbucks, we re-commenced our room renovations. The results have been fantastic and, we feel, will fit right in with the sort of soon to be complete Harbourfront revitalization that you alluded to.

We are excited for the future and the here and now. We are glad you were able to share in our excitement and enjoy the 'future' of our hotel!

Curri_Chris, thank you again for your time and for your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My last stay at this hotel was very enjoyable. Our room was very nice and spacious. The bed was also oversized as well. It is rare to have that much space in a downtown hotel based on my travel experience. The bathroom was rather large as well. Had a nice view of the harbor from the room. Other reviews indicated that the noise was an issue. That was not my experience. The construction was during the day which was not disruptive. The staff was very friendly and professional. I will stay here in the future if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Greg H, Director of Sales at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Anthony C,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us.

We receive regular comments about the spaciousness of rooms and the unique view of the harbour; I am glad that you were able to experience it first hand.

Our employees are and continue to be our number one asset. They consistently strive to make each and every guests’ experience a memorable one; I am happy to read that they continue to exceed expectations.

Anthony C thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

You get a very good hotel in a great location for the price. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. We had a great view of the lake. The shower is also very good and the beds were massive. We didn't eat in the restaurant though and did not use any of the other facilities as we were only staying the 1 night and had other activities booked.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Parren75,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay with us.

I’m happy you selected to stay with us for the one night while enjoying your activities in the city.

Parren75, thank you again for your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to, not only enjoy the spacious guestrooms and great view, experience the culinary delights of Watermark Restaurant and Lounge on the 5th Floor.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I got booked here due to airport delays at Pearson after spending the night in line at the airport.

I arrived early (10am) and was able to check in (so grateful!) immediately. The room was very modern, and while a little far from the downtown core, it was only about a 20 minute walk to queens street west - even in the cold this was fine.

The only thing holding back the 5th star (as noted by other guests) it was very very noisy in the morning with the construction. I know this is out of the hotels control, but it should be known before arriving.

I was also grateful for a slightly later checkout time (1pm). Thanks again for helping me out of a tough situation at Pearson!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

losttravelling,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Although we are sorry that you had some challenges at the Airport, we are thankful that we were able to welcome you and assist you in a tough situation.

Toronto is in full scale preparation mode for the 2015 Pan American Games and construction is definitely a challenge throughout the city. We’ve done our best to communicate this via our web site as well as the third party sites such as Expedia, etc..

losttravelling, I want to again thank you for your time and for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your next visit with us, hopefully under better circumstances.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had continuous problems with this hotel from start to finish. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone and strongly advise you to make alternative plans if at all possible.

First, the noise from ongoing construction work was terrible. We were awoken after a 2am arrival by a person drilling loudly next to our room early in the morning. The air-conditioning in our room was also really noisy and did not work properly, so our room kept getting too hot or cold.

Second, the location is really inconvenient - over 1 mile (or nearly 2 kms) to the nearest metro stop, including a dangerous stretch of road with no pavements and fast cars. I guess this was partly our fault for not checking the location more closely, but the hotel website is deliberately misleading on this point, as it says "you're just a short walk from Union Station".

Third: we were not allowed to have a late checkout even though the room was available. The Radisson website says the following:

"Check-out from Radisson hotels as late as 6 p.m. (subject to availability) instead of the normal check-out time at no extra cost. Our aim is to accommodate the needs of our guests and offer tailor made flexible solutions."

We were told this information (which had been key in making the booking) was "wrong". We then attempted to make a complaint about this misleading information under the Radisson guarantee. The Radisson website says the following:

"100% Guest Satisfaction: If you aren't satisfied with something, please let one of our staff know during your stay and we'll make it right or you won't pay. It's guaranteed."

However, it turns out this guarantee is worthless. The front desk refused to record our complaint or do anything and we have heard nothing since. The front desk stated that the guarantee was not followed at the hotel. The front desk staff woman was also very rude to us. As a result we had to check out early on the last morning, which was inconvenient and meant we could not use the hotel's facilities.

Fourth, the Radisson website says: "Free High-Speed Internet: We don’t just want you to stay with us, we want you to connect with us. That’s why high speed Internet is free with your stay."

In fact, the hotel makes you pay for "high speed internet". A "basic" and very slow connection is offered free provided you only need to connect 3 devices or less. When we queried this the front desk said the website was wrong, again, and that we shouldn't rely on the Radisson website at all as it is often wrong.

Fifth, we were given the worst room in the hotel as we had booked through a third party website even though the hotel was virtually empty. The staff member checking us in confirmed that this is routinely done as a punishment for booking through a third party website rather than direct with the hotel. We requested a move to a more normal standard room, but were denied.

Sixth problem – the mini-fridge in our room malfunctioned and froze everything in it. When we complained, nothing was done. I don’t think they even recorded our complaint. We had to throw away all our food.

Seventh, the hotel pool was closed - this was not notified before booking.

In summary, I wish we had gone somewhere else! But I look forward to the inevitable response from the hotel manager promising to magically fix all the complaints mentioned. NB I will update this review if the Radisson offers anything meaningful in respect of the problems we faced.

Room Tip: Beg for a high room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank FarTravellingJames
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

FarTravelllingJames,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a very detailed review of our hotel. I will attempt to answer each point as you have laid them out.

Our renovations and the revitalization that comes along with them can be quite noisy at times. Admittedly the period that you did stay encompassed some demolition work which does involve decibel levels that exceed the normal sounds of sawing and nailing. During this time, as is indicated on the first page of our Expedia listing, there will be periods that are louder than others. I am sorry for the disruption this did cause to you and your family.

With regards to the air conditioning/heating unit & mini-fridge I do not note these issues as being reported. Yes we should always be ensuring that every chattel is in functional working order; however there are times that items are missed or do breakdown in between periods of checking and arrival. We should have and can be better than this….thank you for the feedback. Please note that we log all requests and follow up with each and everyone diligently. If we had known I have no doubt that we would have done the same in this situation.

I am proud of our location as we are close to all major attractions such as the CN Tower, Aquarium (5 minutes walking). The transit in the area is affected by the road work however Union Station is 10-15 minutes walking....often this is the best case scenario as buses do extend travel times in Toronto traffic.

With regards to the late checkout; it is our goal to be as flexible as possible. However there are times where, although not fully committed, certain room types can be sold out, including rooms with two queen size beds. I definitely believe we could have been more flexible in the check out time offered (1pm) and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our Yes I Can Service mantra can never be perfected…..there is always work to do!

I am sorry you had issues with the internet service. The free system is set at 3 mbit and can accommodate any number of devices you wish to throw at it (just ask!). This type of speed is great for checking email or surfing the web but does suffer when it comes to streaming large files like video. I will note your issue and see if there was a problem with the service during this time.....

The room that you were given is in need of renovations, hence the reason a full blown room renovation is currently underway, this I accept. However may I ask if you requested a change of rooms if not satisfied? While I do not see any of my staff responding in this manner I was not there and would appreciate if you could respond in due course with a name, time and date so that I am able to inquire/follow up/correct....thank you!

Our website does indicate that the outdoor pool is open seasonally. Being January in Toronto, most especially with the conditions as they have been, I would hope that this would be sufficient notice that the pool would not have been open. I am sorry if this was not clear.

FarTravellingJames, unfortunately I do not have contact information for you as your reservation was made through a 3rd party website where this information is not provided to us. I believe you are in possession of my business card and I would encourage you to contact me.

Finally, I can not promise a magical fix to any issue, however I believe that we work hard each and everyday to ensure everything, in each of our guest rooms, is up to standard. Items can slip through at times and we encourage our guests to call us on it so that we have the opportunity to make it right....this in an integral part of the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

FarTravellingJames, I am truly dismayed and sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. Many of these issues should have been identified prior to your arrival. I sincerely hope that you do contact and allow for follow up and possible resolution.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

OK I knew I received a good price for 3 days in a hotel in Toronto but they really should have explained what the noise would be like during the day. In fairness, when we arrived, they did inform us that they were doing construction/renovations during the day. Unfortunately they did not tell me that it would the room directly above ours (326)! It started shortly after 9 a.m. ... barely awake as we are on holiday and the noise sounded like someone was going to come right through the ceiling into our bathroom! I am now sitting here as I type at 3 pm in the afternoon and my wife is trying to take a nap ... impossible ... my son is trying to watch TV ... impossible. The noise if really unbearable. I don't have a good answer in terms of how they could deal with renos other than ensuring that they didn't actually use the rooms that are directly beneath where work is being done.

I travel alot and look for good value ... I am also a fair reviewer and try to provide an accurate representation for other Tripadvisor users since I rely on it when I travel. I had checked out this hotel and is was rated as 29/141 in Toronto and hence why I selected it.

So let me offer some other feedback for other's consideration. Carpets in the room ... very soiled. Bathroom is desperately in need of work too ... chipped tub, rust stain from ceiling running down shower wall and garbage can that looks like someone has been sick all over it. Chair in room has stains on it. Beds are comfortable enough however as are pillows. Staff at front desk are very friendly and helpful as well ... one of the few pluses. The other plus is the location which is great even when walking in terribly cold temperatures.

Overall my opinion is avoid this hotel until their reno is complete or request a room that is no where near the actual work being done. I cannot even hear myself think as I type this review!!!

I can only assume that this is one of those cases where if it seems to good it probably is. I did get a good price through booking.com but I now understand why.

Room Tip: Ask to be provided a room away from the reno work ... or at least in a room that is not directly und...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank iantraveller
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

iantraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a review of our hotel.

I must admit that you are correct when it comes to the noise levels, at times, during our renovations. As is indicated in the 'important information' section of the very first page of our booking.com listing we are undergoing a room renovation through to the end of April. The vast majority of the time the renovation noise is typical hammering, nailing and cutting. However when a floor is just being demolished there is a good amount of noise that does go into the removal of material. This can last a couple of days or a week depending on the speed of work and or issues that do arise. The renovation is extensive and does involve a complete gut of the washroom and removal of all of the fixtures including carpet (to be replaced with hardwood floors).

This renovation is extensive and the noise that did occur during your stay would have been heard no matter where you were placed in the building....although the intensity, I have no doubt, is greater just below. We do attempt to complete all disruptive work during normal business hours and during times we believe most will be out and about.

iantraveller, I am sorry that this work did cause a disruption to your stay. We think that the service we provide, the location in which we find ourselves and the eventual outcome of our renovations will provide that value that all travelers seek when looking for accommodations.

iantraveller, thank you again for your time and for sharing your experience with the world. We always attempt to be as transparent as possible and do hope that you will look to give us another opportunity to serve you....assumedly once our renovations are completed.