“Stay at Hotel but Skip the Restaurant”

Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
Ranked #76 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Spent a week at this hotel for business and had no issues whatsoever with the hotel. The staff were very friendly and handled some faxes for me quite efficiently. I had an "executive" room on a high floor which meant it was quiet and warm. Despite it being mid-January I don't think the heat came on even once. The bed was comfortable, the room & bath were clean, nice amenities and the clock radio worked. The phone sets and the TV are in need of a refresh but they worked just fine. Likewise the fitness room equipment is a bit dated but apart from being rather noisy, they performed adequately. There was a Globe & Mail newspaper outside the door each morning which was most appreciated. Also the proximity of the St. George TTC station makes the rest of the city easy to access.
The Fox & Fiddle restaurant adjoined to the hotel is not worth your time. I tried breakfast there once and did not return - expensive, small portions and indifferent wait staff. There are many other food options along Bloor that are much better choices for variety and cost.
This hotel was good value for the rate and the location was great.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville

Reviewed January 5, 2010

I thought this was pretty middle-of-the-road Holiday Inn: not luxurious, but quite comfortable and clean. Bloor St. is great, especially for me since I was visiting the university -- great variety of cheap little restaurants and bars and coffee shops.
I didn't try the restaurants. And I can't comment on the value, since (a) I was traveling at someone else's expense, and (b) I have no idea what the comparable area rates are.

The desk staff were competent and reasonably knowledgeable, but somewhat young and inexperienced.

If I were staying in the area again and got to choose where I would stay, I think I'd have a look at the prices of some of the fancier hotels. But the Holiday Inn was quite acceptable.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We booked this hotel because it was on the Santa Claus Parade route. We've stayed at every other major hotel in Toronto, but this was our first time here. First off, I booked a King bed Executive room. There was nothing executive about this room, from the back-crippling plank of wood I had to sleep on to the smallish quarters. All to the tune of $300. Then the complimentary cocktail tickets for the Fox and Fiddle adjacent to the hotel, which the bar did not honour and that's probably not the hotels fault but it irked me none the less. And then as we were leaving the hotel's underground parking, I see a parking ticket under my blade for $37 ! Go back into the hotel and inquire about this and they tell me that I must not have given them my license plate number, which of course, I had. We'll see if this ticket ends up on my credit card bill. Staff was helpful and polite though, I do have to say but that is not enough to ever have me stay there again. There are many other beautiful hotels in Toronto to choose from for that kind of money.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed here for two nights for a conference at UofT; the location of the hotel with regard to the university is excellent, and it is also easy to get here from the St George subway station. There is not much in the way of character or decor, but still it was a pleasant stay. Certainly compared to Europe it has things you don't really expect in a hotel of this class: bigger room, an actual bath (not a shower), free newspaper etc. (And free wireless is a plus). Service was always polite and helpful. The price does not include breakfast, but you can get a pretty decent one down at the restaurant attached to the lobby for around 12-15 CAD, which is not very bad. Overall I'd recommend this for short business stays. (But it's also good for places like The Annex, Royal Ontario Museum and the Bata Shoe Museum.)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Edricson
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Holiday Inn on Bloor Street in Toronto and it was wonderful. Perfect location. Great, comfy beds and clean beyond belief rooms. The local colour of the neighbourhood is a welcome addition and its proximity to fabulous restaurants (Fresh and Over Easy), museums (the ROM and Gardiner), the subway, and lots of funky shopping west of the hotel and higher end (Winners, Holts, Indigo) to the east end makes this the best location in the city.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Love2EatQC
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We got into the hotel at 1a. The front desk staff was awesome, even that late at night. They gave us the location of 24h restaurants nearby, as well as exchanged our money for free. There was parking adjacent to the building, so no hassles there.

The only complaint we had was the air conditioning in the room seemed to be on the fritz. The room never seemed to get cold enough. But, that was a minor complaint. All in all, we had a great stay here.

FYI, if you plan to drink, the prices are very high, almost as high as Downtown Chicago. We got a beer and a White Russian, and the cost was 14 dollars. Wow. In fact, I think the beer was the more expensive of the two.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank DBJ1998
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Below-average service. They have discounted ROM tickets, but when I asked what ages would be eligible for a 'children's ticket', the front desk staff didn't know, and couldn't find out any information on the Internet. Later I easily found out on the Internet, but was then told they were only sold after 10 am by the hotel management. The Internet connection in the hotel lobby is incredibly slow -- circa-1997 speed. The bedrooms are okay and it is a good location, but service is slow. Not recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ttraveller
MidtownerToronto, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2009

Thank you very much for your comments regarding our hotel.

Upon your initial inquiry regarding the ROM Tickets, because we could not answer you immediately, we continued our search and now know the ages to avoid any unnecessary delays to guests in future. Thank you for helping us be better.

The Royal Ontario Museum opens daily at 10am and our Duty Managers sell the admission tickets from 9:30am.

We appreciate your comments regarding our wireless internet connection in the lobby and will speak with our service provider regarding your observations.

We are pleased that you found our accommodation and location to your satisfaction.

We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Toronto.