“great location, reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville

Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
Ranked #74 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Burlington, Vermont
“great location, reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The location of this hotel could not be better. It's perfect for visiting my daughter at U of T, one block away from my favorite lunch spot, Fresh, and across the street from the Bata shoe museum and just a block from the ROM. We walked easily to Kensington Market and Chinatown and there are lots of shops conveniently located on Bloor.
The hotel has a small lobby, but staff was friendly and rooms were quite comfortable. I'm picky about beds, and I slept well, so that's a good vote. But best of all - the room was quiet! My room faced onto the courtyard, not the street, so that was probably part of it (and I will request that next time), but also the guests were in general very quiet. There was one midnight conversation in the hallway, but when I politely asked if they could take it to the lobby, they quickly complied. This is VERY different from the Delta Chelsea which had very loud guests at all hours BOTH times we stayed there. And the lobby of the Delta Chelsea has the feel of a railroad station. so this was a great change. I will stay here the next time I come.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear JMVermont,

Thank you for taking the time to post this great review on Trip Advisor. We love to hear about our guests experience with us. It is great to hear that our hotel was able to accommodate you with everything that you required.

Thank you again for posting your review and we look forward to you next visit with us. If you ever need help with a reservation please just call our hotel directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here one night, before a meeting on the west end of University of Toronto campus, so the location for me was perfect. But, I do think it'd be a good location for a lot of Toronto sightseeing (perhaps, primarily, Yorkville / Cumberland where stars flock during the film festival, Yonge and Bloor shopping).

Rooms were clean, not so small (which surprised me) and there's underground parking, but it's expensive (which didn't surprise me).

I'd stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Youwannaknowthis,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Our hotel is centrally located for any visit to the U of T but as you mentioned, also very good for sightseeing and shopping. We hope that on you next visit you will get to explore our local area a bit more.

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor, and we look forward to seeing you again.
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in November of 2012. This is her go-to hotel when she is in Toronto because of it's very close proximity to the U of T. It is also walking distance to so many great attractions; the ROM, Bata shoe museum, AGO, Casa Loma, Yorkville, Chinatown, lots of good restaurants and fabulous shopping.
As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel is a little tired and needs quite a few upgrades but it shines in some very important areas; friendly and helpful staff, clean and comfortable rooms and the aforementioned location and relative inexpense.
The subway is steps away as is an excellant restaurant - Mercurio, lots of cozy pubs and the must-do rooftop lounge at the Park Hyatt.
Our room on the second floor was quiet and well-maintained, the beds were comfortable and we were given extra towels and pillows when requested. Our check-in was fast and friendly.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Gowens56,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that on you sisters suggestion we lived up to your expectations.

Our hotel is in a fantastic area of Toronto, as you have mentioned. We are ideal for almost any trip to Toronto. We are working to upgrade a few things in our hotel to help better accommodate our guests. We have recently added all new flat screen televisions, and we are finishing up replacing all of our beds. More exciting changes will be happening in the future.

Thank you again for posting your review, and we look forward to your next stay at our hotel.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had to rate this an average hotel ..
The area seemed a bit sketchy on a friday night although safe enough to walk around with a crowd
The area is good for walking a bit of a mix between upscale shopping and eateries that ranged from pretty good to questionable ...
Partiers were lined up in front of the hotel yahooing at one in the morning to get into the bar restaurant attached - it was loud and hectic. Our room was far enough removed we didnt hear the noise outside once we passed through the front door.
The room seemed a bit dated and clean, not immaculately clean but that is the dated issue
Odd stains on the carpet that may have at one time been red wine .... the carpeting could use an overhaul
bathroom was clean and stocked with standard soaps, lotions and a hair dryer
coffee maker
the parking lot drive way is conveniently located just outside the side entrance although not well marked from inside the hotel - you have to access the parking lot from inside once parked.
Staff very friendly and helpful
My bed was comfy but soon will need some new springs ....
standard run of the mill room that one day very soon will need some attention and TLC

I may stay here agin but I have to say it probably would not be my first choice unless it were mid week and the ouside crowds were less wired shall we say ...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Akyraty,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on Trip Advisor. We appreciate when our Guests comment on their stay with us. There are many great details in your review.

I would like to assure you that what you experienced outside the hotel is not regular here. We are close to the University and would explain why it may have been rowdy outside. This is a very safe and secure area within Toronto. There is a wide selection of shops and restaurants right down the street from our hotel.

Our rooms are in the process of getting small updates to keep our Guests comfortable. We have recently added all brand new flat screen televisions and most of rooms have brand new mattresses as well. There are a few left that need to be replaced.

We would once again like to thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor and we welcome you to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you!
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Check in was unorganized and crowded. The front desk person was alone, flustered with the phones and people in line. He also had to communicate regularly over the radio.

The place is getting very old. The bathrooms have that dull beige type style with cracks here and there and general signs of age. This makes the place feel much dirtier than it actually is. Except for the bed, there was hair in the bed.

I booked an executive room which was about 30$ more expensive because I had a great time at an other Holiday Inn a while back where executive guests would have access to a lounge that had snacks, appetizers, drinks, wet bar, exclusive small breakfast in the morning all complimentary. They also had much nicer rooms. I was quickly disappointing to learn that the only difference here with a regular regular room is that you get a mini-fridge and safe. No lounge, no breakfast, nada. Wow how that sucked big time as I couldn't care less about those items!!!! I certainly felt executive. Oh, and the other Holiday Inn only charged about 15$ more for executive level compared to regular rooms.

Electrical outlets are very, very, very few and far between. The desk does have a power bar though hanging from the wall. How great does that look (not). seems cheap, the kind of cheap that even Econo Lodge or any no frills dump wouldn't go down to.

See, Holiday Inn implies a Holiday. Relaxation, comfort, retreat, inspiration. Overall nice stuff, but this does not live to that expected standard. Their site clearly indicate that executive rooms have 14 foot vaulted ceilings. I did quick math and figured out I'm 5'8. In theory, two 6 foot people could stand on each other and still have room to spare. I could almost touch my room's ceiling standing up at only 5'8. False advertisement much. I paid for that vaulted ceiling and I expected to have that. I Even confirmed with front desk and they said my room was an executive one as it was on the 14th floor. What went wrong!!!??

MY favourite part is that Wifi does not reach the 14th (executive floor). How the heck does that make sense! Why don't we put business people where there's no Wifi! I hope the genius who thought of that got promoted. Instead, we get an Ethernet cable at the desk area for floors above the 11th if I recall correctly (they took the time to write a note indicating which floors have internet via Ethernet in the room's hotel guide rather that put a Wifi router to just fix the issue!). I wanted to use my laptop in the comfy bed but couldn't! What if I wanted to connect my tablet or cell? How disappointing. I ended up using my phone's tether because I wanted that unfulfilled comfort of catching up with work in bed.

An other favorite is parking. They wanted 22$ for parking. Here's the thing, I'm pretty sure they don't own the parking lot. I think they just have agreements with the company that owns it. I quickly found out that if I paid the machine directly at the lot under the hotel, it would cost me only 13$. And that's exactly what I proceeded to do! What a scam. And yes, it's not a different lot because the hotel elevator brings you directly to that lot underground.

Lastly, front desk tried calling me because they wanted to give me an update on a question I had earlier. I pick up the corded phone and it stopped working after a few seconds. I tried calling them back but no joy because the phone didn't work. I tried the wireless receiver instead but it's obviously dead and looks almost like an antique. I had to fiddle a long while with the corded phone to be able to maintain a conversation with front desk. Pathetic. Good thing it wasn't 911 that I was trying to reach...

Regardless, we try for some sleep after all is said and done. The ventilation system had a loud rattle that kept me from sleeping for a while, and caused the air to become very dry to the point where I woke up in the middle of the night with my mouth dry and hands chapping to get water from the restaurant downstairs. (I'm not paying 3.50 for a bottle of warm water sitting in the bathroom).

In summary, this hotel is old, too expensive, not comfy and simply not up to my expectation. I don't care how many company inspections they pass or how they claim to be above standard, this place is a disaster for the rate and location. This place should be modern, refreshing, comfy, inspiring, and well above the rest. There are tons of other cheaper, more modern hotels in the immediate area. This is the second time in a row that a Holiday Inn was grossly under expectation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mapelle621
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear mapelle621,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was unacceptable. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our best to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here on a work trip a couple months ago, but prior to it as well as after it, I had stayed at other hotels too and so this stay is really hard to recall. This hotel was average, and it was so much so, that it's difficult to remember anything that really stood out, both positives or negatives.

It is a Holiday Inn and so you know what you're going to get. I booked the prepaid rate online which isn't too bad. Compared to other hotels in the area, it is pretty good value. It isn't that close to the financial district of Toronto, but is close to U of T, many restaurants, and is still in a good location.

I had a good sleep in my room which had a comfortable king sized bed. Cleanliness was fine. Wifi access was complimentary and I don't recall any problems with it. It is a decent option when you need an affordable hotel to stay on business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear topaz_bc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is very important for us to hear from our guests! We are located right near the U of T and around the corner to St. George Subway Station. Being close to the Subway does offer a quick route to the rest of the city. We hope that on your next visit we can help create a memorable experience!

Thank you again for posting, and we look forward to serving you in the future!
Alameda, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I stayed only one night but I chose the hotel due to location and brand comfort. Not the best in the fleet but I was not let down either. The rooms were tidy but getting a wee bit tired. The front desk staff were efficient. Parking was below the building and it was easy to get into.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear LisaFryklund,

We would like to thank you for your post here on Trip Advisor. Our guests comments are what help us improve for the future. It is great that you enjoyed your stay here, and that you are frequent guest of Holiday Inn. I hope that you have a Priority Club membership because that is useful all over the world.

Thank you again for your post, and we look forward to your next stay with us!