“Well under expectations”

Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
Ranked #78 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Check in was unorganized and crowded. The front desk person was alone, flustered with the phones and people in line. He also had to communicate regularly over the radio.

The place is getting very old. The bathrooms have that dull beige type style with cracks here and there and general signs of age. This makes the place feel much dirtier than it actually is. Except for the bed, there was hair in the bed.

I booked an executive room which was about 30$ more expensive because I had a great time at an other Holiday Inn a while back where executive guests would have access to a lounge that had snacks, appetizers, drinks, wet bar, exclusive small breakfast in the morning all complimentary. They also had much nicer rooms. I was quickly disappointing to learn that the only difference here with a regular regular room is that you get a mini-fridge and safe. No lounge, no breakfast, nada. Wow how that sucked big time as I couldn't care less about those items!!!! I certainly felt executive. Oh, and the other Holiday Inn only charged about 15$ more for executive level compared to regular rooms.

Electrical outlets are very, very, very few and far between. The desk does have a power bar though hanging from the wall. How great does that look (not). seems cheap, the kind of cheap that even Econo Lodge or any no frills dump wouldn't go down to.

See, Holiday Inn implies a Holiday. Relaxation, comfort, retreat, inspiration. Overall nice stuff, but this does not live to that expected standard. Their site clearly indicate that executive rooms have 14 foot vaulted ceilings. I did quick math and figured out I'm 5'8. In theory, two 6 foot people could stand on each other and still have room to spare. I could almost touch my room's ceiling standing up at only 5'8. False advertisement much. I paid for that vaulted ceiling and I expected to have that. I Even confirmed with front desk and they said my room was an executive one as it was on the 14th floor. What went wrong!!!??

MY favourite part is that Wifi does not reach the 14th (executive floor). How the heck does that make sense! Why don't we put business people where there's no Wifi! I hope the genius who thought of that got promoted. Instead, we get an Ethernet cable at the desk area for floors above the 11th if I recall correctly (they took the time to write a note indicating which floors have internet via Ethernet in the room's hotel guide rather that put a Wifi router to just fix the issue!). I wanted to use my laptop in the comfy bed but couldn't! What if I wanted to connect my tablet or cell? How disappointing. I ended up using my phone's tether because I wanted that unfulfilled comfort of catching up with work in bed.

An other favorite is parking. They wanted 22$ for parking. Here's the thing, I'm pretty sure they don't own the parking lot. I think they just have agreements with the company that owns it. I quickly found out that if I paid the machine directly at the lot under the hotel, it would cost me only 13$. And that's exactly what I proceeded to do! What a scam. And yes, it's not a different lot because the hotel elevator brings you directly to that lot underground.

Lastly, front desk tried calling me because they wanted to give me an update on a question I had earlier. I pick up the corded phone and it stopped working after a few seconds. I tried calling them back but no joy because the phone didn't work. I tried the wireless receiver instead but it's obviously dead and looks almost like an antique. I had to fiddle a long while with the corded phone to be able to maintain a conversation with front desk. Pathetic. Good thing it wasn't 911 that I was trying to reach...

Regardless, we try for some sleep after all is said and done. The ventilation system had a loud rattle that kept me from sleeping for a while, and caused the air to become very dry to the point where I woke up in the middle of the night with my mouth dry and hands chapping to get water from the restaurant downstairs. (I'm not paying 3.50 for a bottle of warm water sitting in the bathroom).

In summary, this hotel is old, too expensive, not comfy and simply not up to my expectation. I don't care how many company inspections they pass or how they claim to be above standard, this place is a disaster for the rate and location. This place should be modern, refreshing, comfy, inspiring, and well above the rest. There are tons of other cheaper, more modern hotels in the immediate area. This is the second time in a row that a Holiday Inn was grossly under expectation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mapelle621
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear mapelle621,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was unacceptable. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our best to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here on a work trip a couple months ago, but prior to it as well as after it, I had stayed at other hotels too and so this stay is really hard to recall. This hotel was average, and it was so much so, that it's difficult to remember anything that really stood out, both positives or negatives.

It is a Holiday Inn and so you know what you're going to get. I booked the prepaid rate online which isn't too bad. Compared to other hotels in the area, it is pretty good value. It isn't that close to the financial district of Toronto, but is close to U of T, many restaurants, and is still in a good location.

I had a good sleep in my room which had a comfortable king sized bed. Cleanliness was fine. Wifi access was complimentary and I don't recall any problems with it. It is a decent option when you need an affordable hotel to stay on business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear topaz_bc,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. It is very important for us to hear from our guests! We are located right near the U of T and around the corner to St. George Subway Station. Being close to the Subway does offer a quick route to the rest of the city. We hope that on your next visit we can help create a memorable experience!

Thank you again for posting, and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed only one night but I chose the hotel due to location and brand comfort. Not the best in the fleet but I was not let down either. The rooms were tidy but getting a wee bit tired. The front desk staff were efficient. Parking was below the building and it was easy to get into.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear LisaFryklund,

We would like to thank you for your post here on Trip Advisor. Our guests comments are what help us improve for the future. It is great that you enjoyed your stay here, and that you are frequent guest of Holiday Inn. I hope that you have a Priority Club membership because that is useful all over the world.

Thank you again for your post, and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a couple nights and it was a great location and good value. We stayed here for $121/night and for this location, that's a great price.

Check in and check out was good, efficient and courteous staff. No problems here.

Our room was on the smaller side but wasn't cramped by any means. We had two double beds, desk, chair and the bathroom was small but nice. It was comfortable, clean and quiet. What else do you really need in a hotel room?

There is a pub attached to the hotel and kids can eat free, you just get a little card from the front desk of the hotel. I believe the pub was the Fox and Fiddle. The food was average at best. The first night we went there, it was about 630pm and we ended up surrounded by drinking university students. It was awkward to say the least to have a 6 year old there. The next morning we thought we'd give it another try for breakfast, and again it was so-so. We didn't eat there again. Kind of disappointing. BUT there are lots of other food choices on Bloor St!

The hotel is close to the subway lines, there is a Shoppers' Drug Mart near by and many convenience stores. A Tim Horton's and Starbucks is also close by. The Bata Shoe Museum is across the street and the ROM is a 5 min walk. Lots of great shopping on Bloor St too.

Overall for price and location, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Sailor77,

We are pleased to see that you have posted a review on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our location during your visit. We are located near lots of great restaurants, shopping and museums. We hope that we will get to see you again soon! Check out our website for any special shopping or museum packages that may suit your needs!

Thank you again for posting on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I spent 3 nights here on PC points for Grey Cup weekend. I had hoped for something closer to downtown but I booked late and nothing was available. However, even though you are not right downtown the location has a lot going for it.

For transportation you are within a block of St. George station which provides access to both TTC Subway lines. This makes access to most of downtown quite easy and fast. I you want to visit the museum, art gallery or University then you are within easy walking distance. You will also be very close to Bloor St. shopping. Check in and out were fast, friendly and they took the time to ask if I needed assistance with anything or directions anywhere. The lobby is on the smaller side but was never crowded while I was there. There is a pub attached to the hotel for dine-in or room service. The food is decent and affordable. There is also a 24hr convenience store across the street. The wireless internet access is complimentary (basic, 1.5 mbps) and I found it to be adequate and stable.

This appears to be a bit of an older property and it could use some modernization. There was noticeable dust on the phone, the desk chair had a couple of tears in the fabric and the toilet ran longer and louder than necessary after being flushed. There aren't many accessible outlets although they did put a power strip on the desk. The washroom is a bit small with very little counter area. This is a 25K PC Point per night hotel but I think that's a bit high for what you get in return.

Whether you like this hotel or not will very much depend on what you expect to get out of it. If you need easy access to transit, shopping or the University and really only need a place to sleep then I think you will be satisfied with this location. If you are looking to be right downtown and want to stay in luxury then this property is not for you.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property here on Trip Advisor. These reviews are very important for us to understand how guests view our hotel.

The Grey Cup weekend was definitely very busy for the entire city. As you have mentioned we are in a great area of Toronto. Our hotel is centrally located between Yorkville and The Annex, which provides a wide variety of shopping and restaurants. Since we are close to the St. George subway station you can enjoy the downtown core without the hustle and bustle of the busy city.

As a Holiday Inn we have very high standards of cleanliness and service which we work very hard to provide to all of our guests. The building is on the older side but we do try to keep it in the best possible condition. Over the past couple of months we have changed out our old TV’s to brand new flat screen televisions, and we have also upgraded our mattresses. Though these may be small changes we are beginning to move in a more modern direction.

We would love to hear from you to discuss this further. Please feel free to contact us at any time at cn312@whg.com or (416) 968-0010.
Thank you again for your post on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hotel was located in a great area. Check-in clerk was fantastic - as a Priority Club member, I was given a late check-out and all the details about the hotel - if only I can remember his name (tall dark gentleman - thank you)! Definitely much nicer than the other gentleman whom I asked to call a cab, and he said I can do it myself. The room and bathroom was spacious, and lit just right with a nice low glow to be able to relax and unwind. Beds were very comfortable! The work station in the room allowed for enough space to plug in my laptop and get some work done. The flat screen TV was large, and worked well. I was pleasantly happy with the exception of a few small details.

Sour points:
1. When I had called for room service, I advised I would like it charged to the room since I had a credit card on file. They said that would be ok and to expect the coffee/tea soon. Upon delivery, the room service attendant insisted I had to pay cash, and didn't even have the bill with her. I was forced to scramble for cash.
2. The cleanliness of the hotel was ok, but the towels were badly stained. I noticed one towel at first, but soon after, saw that almost all the other towels were the same. These stains were very apparent. I was able to sort through them to find at least one good towel to use after my shower. I was quite turned off by this - and I'm usually not too picky about hotels as I've traveled worldwide with the IHG brand.
3. Again, the gentleman at the desk who advised I sort out the cab myself. I found this a little rude.

Room Tip: If you don't want to brew it yourself - Coffee and Tea to the room will cost you a good amount o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate hearing from our guests, and use this as a training tool. I would first like to apologize for the room service and the front desk clerk with whom you had a negative experience. It is completely unacceptable for these issues to occur.

We are pleased to hear that the majority of your stay was good. We are very lucky to be in such a great area. There are many coffee shops and restaurants within a short walk from the hotel that our guests might enjoy. The room service that we have here is provided by an independently owned restaurant, but you can definitely post everything to your room. The attendant should have honored these policies, and I would like to apologize for the lack of service.

Our hotel does take every measure to ensure that guests are provided with a clean and comfortable room. It is unnerving to hear that the towels were in such a condition. We do have a program where we get rid of any towels or sheets that look worn or stained, so that we can replace them with brand new ones. Please never hesitate to contact the front desk or manager on duty so that we can help you have a more comfortable visit. I was very unhappy to hear about the situation with the front desk clerk; we are here to serve you as our guest. Any and all inquiries should be handled with the utmost respect and urgency. I am pleased to hear that your check in attendant made a good impression on you.

Thank you again for posting a review on Trip Advisor. Please feel free to contact us at any time to make a future reservation or to discuss your stay with us at cn312@whg.com or (416) 968-0010.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very speedy check in, which I appreciated, partly because I was illegally
parked on the street. It has extremely tight underground parking and lousy elevators.

But the location is great. There were a pile of people in the hotel who were there for the Santa Claus parade, so that made for a bit too much hallway noise. Still, I'd not realized it was happening that weekend, so I guess my fault.

Overall, kind of generic, and hard to regulate the temperature in the room. But really, it is fine, and the price was good.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank melted_snowball
holidayinnbloor, Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It was a very busy weekend for the Santa Claus parade, we are located right on the parade route.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us. Our hotel is located in a great area with so much for our guests to do and see. Our staff is always here to help make your stay with us an enjoyable stay.

Thank you again for your post, we look forward to serving you in the future.