Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$349
$365
$334
Courtyard
  • Pool
All reviewsbata shoe museumgeorge subway stationthe royal ontario museumgreat locationbloor stcasa lomasubway lineunderground parkingtim hortonsconvenience storetwo blockstwo double bedspublic transportationmin walkpearson airportuniversityrom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 10, 2007

Stayed here with my husband in Sept 2007 for two nights as part of a driving holiday around New England and Eastern Canada.

Where do I start? The staff member who checked us in was not very welcoming. We were given room 309, which was above the gym and next to the ice dispenser, both of which were noisy during the night, so much so that I got up and yanked the plug for the ice maker out of the plug socket just to reduce the noise. The room smelt musty and so did the pillows and sheets on the beds. The bathroom hadn’t been cleaned fully and the towels were stained. For breakfast there is a ‘pub’ on the ground flour which serves the usual potatoes with everything. Its OK if you are used to greasy cafes.

The only good thing about the hotel is its location, near to the metro station and the Ontario Museum. (Warning about this museum its not fully completed, so a lot of the exhibitions are closed, in particular the well publicised dinosaurs, and we were not told about this when we bought the tickets).

Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

(P.S. Do not go to the 360 Restaurant in the CN tower as the food is awful – how can salmon not taste of salmon? Just go to the tower for the views instead)

(Saving grace in Toronto was a restaurant called Morton’s on The Avenue, great service and the best steaks we’ve ever tasted!)

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank teakytick
Reviewed September 22, 2007

Just got back from a short break in Canada. The Holiday Inn midtown was our base in Toronto.

We had a suite on the 12th floor - essentially, this is just a standard room with the addition of a small lounge area with it's own TV. The cost is not much more than a standard room however so it is actually worth it to have a little bit more space.

The reception staff were extremely friendly, even calling up to the room after we had settled in to make sure everything was to our satisfaction.

We ate breakfast and one evening meal at the Fox and Fiddle pub which is part of the hotel. This represented reasonable food and good value for money. It's a chain pub - if I had to give it a UK comparison, I'd say akin to a Brewer's Fayer. It's good for the convenience and value, but suffice to say, in a multi-cultural city like Toronto, there are better places to eat.

The location of the hotel is excellent. I was a little concerned at first that we were a little bit out of the way, however this turned out to be a blessing. The area around the hotel was a bustling neighbourhood but quieter than downtime. Didn't see any beggars or homeless folks in this neighbourhood. The hotel is very convenient for the Subway which is just round the corner on St Georges street giving access to both north/south and east/west trains. We also walked all the way down to the waterfront one day via Yonge Street. It is a long walk and took us around half an hour but walking is the best way to see the attractions of this wonderful city.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sonofagunn
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Excellent room and extremely helpful service from front desk staff.
Overall, great value.
Bad experience at the 'Express Cafe' immediately downstairs though. Although the cafe is not officially part of the hotel, the menu is in the package in your room and the cafe does use the hotel's washrooms. I would advise avoiding this place. When we visited for breakfast, the plastic menus were covered in grease and really old food residue, the tables hadn't been cleaned although it wasn't that busy and there were staff doing nothing behind the counter, and the breakfast itself was the worst I've experienced in Toronto ( half cooked, half cold, inedible). Needless to say, wishing to avoid the possibility of salmonella, we left sharpish.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank EdinburghGreyhound
Reviewed September 17, 2007

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Midtown twice and I've been to Toronto on four separate occasions overall - this hotel is the best place I have stayed in there. It's in a great location on Bloor Street West, round the corner from the St George subway and opposite the Bata Shoe museum (an fascinating place). It's also in the Annex neighbourhood, which seems quite interesting. And you can walk to the big shops downtown in about 10-15 minutes.

The staff at this hotel are really friendly and phoned our room 10 minutes after check-in to make sure everything was OK. The room was quite spacious and felt a comfortable place for an extended stay. We had a couple of chairs and a table and everything was very clean; the furnishings felt solid and the bed was comfy. There's a small fitness room in this hotel (it has a couple of treadmills, bike, cross trainer, TV), and if you prefer a larger gym then they give you free access to a big one down the road. I also like the fact that they support recycling and give you a recycling box alongside your normal bin. I've just come back from a 3-week trip across Canada and the Holiday Inn was one of the only hotels to do this.

We stayed in Toronto at the start of our trip and also at the end. At the end, we decided to stay in the Days Inn Downtown as it was slightly cheaper. We really regretted it - although it's slap-bang in the centre of downtown it felt extremely cheap (like a Travelodge), the bed was saggy and the room wasn't anywhere as nice as the one at the Holiday Inn. Unless I suddenly win the lottery, the Holiday Inn Midtown will always be the first place I look at when I'm after accomodation in Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beckstrous
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed in a suite on the 12th floor. The room was in excellent condition and had all amenities that we required.

Breakfast and Dinner are served in the "Pub" downstairs but was a good place to start the day.

It is on Bloor St West and is opposite the Bata shoe museum and just along the street from the ROM (great museum)

Very easy to walk everywhere or catch the subway or with a short walk the tram.

Casa Loma is nearby (where some scenes in X-Men were filmed).

There was an occaisional vagrant about but they caused no problem at all and being in the University district there were always lots of people about.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Durry
MidtownerToronto, Hotel team at Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2008

Thanks for the encouraging words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us again.
Hotel's team