“Never again!”

Ranked #70 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario Resident
“Never again!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We usually have had a good experience with this chain, but we were misinformed by the Intercontinental Hotel on Front Street that this was a good alternative since their hotel was full. The rooms were average but not up to the standard we expect. The carpet had not been vacuumed and the room was extremely crowded with only one desk chair for extra seating. The view was of the men's shelter across the street. One redeeming feature was that it had an excellent breakfast included with more than adequate tables on both sides of the hall. Overall it was ok value for students or those who just want a bed, but it was not in any sense a place to stay for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the shelter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank SeasOnedOntario
TARIQ A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review on the Holiday Inn Express Toronto downtown. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property.
We do respect your opinion and the fact that you were distressed that the cleanliness of our room was not to your satisfaction. We set very high standards for our housekeeping and are consistently performing quality checks in our rooms and through guest feedback. We would like to assure all guests that cleanliness is a priority at our hotel and that is reflected in many of the reviews of our hotel on this site.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback which can only serve to make us better.
Tariq Azad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Korean first
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2014

fab location, breakfast included (needed more GFV selection), close to everything. Walkable, staff were most helpful. Clean rooms. It was a busy wkd and hotel was full. Never had a problem. Not sure why the top 3 reviews state they did.

1 Thank mbsspr
TARIQ A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you so much for your really great review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed here for one night on business in June 2014. I tend to stay in a lot of IHG properties due to status with the brand. That said this is one of the more run-down Holiday Inn Express hotels I have stayed at. I base this also off the price ($200+/night + parking).

The parking is very cramped, so if you have a huge SUV or tall vehicle it may very well not fit in their garage. It is also expensive to park at the hotel (paid per night). The check in itself was quick and efficient, and staff was attentive. The room was showing its age and this hotel lacks some basic services like room service, mini bar (or fridge), etc. The one saving grace is that this hotel is a short walk from Yonge street and tons of shopping, restaurants and bars.

I'll probably stay elsewhere within the IHG brand next time I'm in TO.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Patrick D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We were glad to see the staff and service were up to the standards you would expect. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2014

TL:DR I stayed here with a couple of friends. It did it's job.

The worst experience I had in this hotel was the front desk staff. On my first night I came in late so there were limited spots left in their parking lot (1 left to be exact). I went in the to Lot and every spot visible was taken - I went back upstairs to ask and was yelled/talked down by the front desk to just remove a cone that was blocking a spots right at the entrance. It was late so I didn't feel like arguing but I'd assume a orange cones means do not park @ a hotel. I guess they us this to block out a spot for themselves.

Everything else was good/ok. I didn't have high expectations stay here.

Free breakfast + tons of choices. Wifi was weak but worked.

1 Thank JasonNewyorkcity
Dear JasonNewyorkcity,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and that our location worked for your needs.

Please accept my sincerest apology for any dissatisfaction you may have encountered, particularly with the level of service you received. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon our service.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2014

i recently travailed to Toronto for a short visit with a friend. We chose this hotel because the price was low and we wanted to stay downtown (a area we were both familiar with) upon arrival we started to notice that this hotel was not what it seems to be. we arrived late at night and went straight to bed as soon as we checked in, but not without quickly glancing around the room. the door step was badly worn out, the bathroom was dirty, badly kept and out of date as was the rest of the room. We also noticed a foul smell probably from humidity that never went away. the room was hot and humid, we had to blast the AC just to get it comfortable. we woke up the first day to find out not only was our hotel not located downtown, it was across the street from a salvation army and had homeless men loitering outside. we opted out of complementary breakfast and went to a Tim Hortons instead. after spending the day around the city we both decided that we wanted to have dinner in Yorkville, so we asked the front desk if they had any recommendations, the men we spoke to said he had no idea he wasn't familiar with the area and asked the second men who answered the same thing, he offered to call the holiday inn in Yorkville to get some info, we stepped aside and waited in the lobby for him to do so. Instead he continued to check people in and answer other questions. we lost patience and decided to go to our room and check on Ubanspoon. we went back down to the lobby and asked if we can get a cab (the same man who was supposed to called the other location) and he told us it would be a 20 minute wait. never once did he acknowledge the fact that he never called, we opted to hail a cab ourselves. The next day we were going to the Molson Amphitheatre so we asked the front desk how to get there, the man we asked was confused for about 5 minutes before he finally looked it up. we asked if there was anywhere to eat and he told us yes, so we decided to eat there. when we arrived needless to say the info he gave us was wrong and we spent 45 minutes looking for somewhere to eat. Our last last day we decided to grab a coffee and come back to the room to finish packing and get ready to check out. The housekeeper immediately asked if we were checking out yet (it was only 9am) we told him no we were coming back. we checked out and finally found a knowledgeable staff member which we talked to for a bit about the terrible cab service we had all trip. as soon as we were leaving to go back home i realized that i had left my sweater in the hotel room. i immediately called the hotel and left my name and number with the lost and found, i assumed she was going to call me right back. four hours later frustrated and impatient i called the hotel back and asked about my sweater. the lady of the lost and found answered " I'm sorry dear i forget to look" at this point I'm fuming but kept cool. i left my name and number for the second time. Once again i expected a call back within 20 minutes, and hour late i called back for the third time and got an answering machine. at the end my rope and completely disgusted i decided to call back this time asking to speak with the manager. i explained the situation and he told me he didn't have access to that room and that she was out for the night. i continued asking him how it was possible for a hotel staff manager not to be allowed access to that room to which he kept repeat (also laughing in my face) the same stupid line that he would take my name and number and she would call back tomorrow. i finally caved in and left my name and number for the third time. She called back the next day informing me that my sweater wasn't in the room , i sweater, i may add, that never left the hotel because it was 30 degree the whole time we were there.

3 Thank jennifer m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear jennifer m,

Thank you for sharing your experience online. It is regrettable that you were not able to fully enjoy your time at the hotel due to issues with cleanliness and guest services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you have experienced. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional information regarding your experience. We look forward to hearing from you soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Nova Scotia
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a good location and walking distance to the mall along with other attractions.

I was not impressed with the room at all compared to my usual stays at holiday inn. They did not have any options for a king bed, the rooms are fairly small with no amenities such as a fridge or microwave in the room. The bed was very comfortable. However the front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. I found the AC in the room extremely loud. The breakfast area is very tiny and happened to be over crowded during my stay.

Compared to other hotels in the area for the price it's probably a decent choice still, however compared to most of the holiday inns I have stayed at, it wasn't as nice.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. My engineering team has addressed the A.C. unit, and will continue to monitor this and others to ensure they are performing at their best when we need them most Summer in Toronto. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the breakfast area. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
istanbul
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Very close to the downtown area, the prices are quite reasonable and the staff are doing their best to serve you better. We have stayed there three years ago and did not look for an other hotel for our visit this time. We were very happy with our decision. If all you need is a nice room, breakfast and easy access to all important locations in Toronto, this is the hotel for you. The only negative thing I can say is, they have cancelled wi-fi connection in the morning of our departure date and it would be nice if it was done when we checked-out.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same quality.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank buciIstanbul
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for have been writing and have been sharing your comments. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team services and facilities. I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you. We will share your comments. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!