“Excellent Location”

Ranked #69 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here after flying into the island airport from Sault Ste. Marie on our way to Cuba the next day. We wanted to stay downtown as we had a full day to kill and it was so convenient to walk to the distillery district, Eaton Center, St. Lawrence Market is only a few steps away. The staff at the front desk were very helpful in getting us a nice limo to Pearson the next day. The breakfast was great and is so nice to be included. Nice clean room, no complaints at all and will stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siko
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our services to be helpful and useful. I will sure to share your comments, with my guest services team. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.
Tariq Azad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Great location in downtown Toronto close to all major attractions either by walking, a short cab ride or the subway is also accessible close by. Front desk staff were quite good and very friendly. Parking is underground and only suitable for smaller cars etc, (also an additional $20 per day). The room we were in was far too small for the four of us - only two double beds and no room for a cot (due to fire regulations we were told). I would book a bigger room next time. It is an older hotel as mentioned by other reviewers but well kept and clean. The breakfast area was very crowded but ample room for seating if you go across the hall. The food seems to be a standard HIE fare, but I wish they would change up the type of eggs and bacon the offer. It is a pre processed type and throughout the year I have stayed at different locations of this brand and the food borders on acceptable to almost inedible. I think it depends on how long it has been sitting out for. This locations eggs and bacon wasn't great but ok. They offer other types of continental style food so you can skip this option and have cereal or fruit etc.. I would likely stay here again under other circumstances.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CanadianFlatlander
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. I was glad your overall experience was enjoyable and found our services to be helpful and useful. You are right the location of the hotel is truly a gem as we are close to so much of what Toronto has to offer, not to mention the subway system another of Toronto’s Public Transit System.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write and tell us about your stay with us and we look forward to seeing again when you get the chance to visit our fair city.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've stayed twice for rock concerts in the last two years and both times I've had great experiences. This place is walking distance from the Eaton center, which we loved. Desk staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were very clean, there were no issues with noise at all.
Breakfast has always been nice. Love the sausages and the juice.
Whenever I'm in Toronto for a show, I go here!
GLENN DANZIG TOUCHED MY HANDS AT THE SHOW IN AUGUST 2013!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
nyc
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Nice location. Updated elevators. Friendly staff. That's about it! Hallways are quite dated. Rooms are small. Crowded breakfast area. Dated bathrooms. Beware that this is not to the standard of the many Holiday Inn Express that I've stayed at...

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank burnsinny
Dear Valued Guest,
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. We want our guests to have the best experience possible where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry if that was not the case during your visit. In the coming year our hotel will undergo numerous upgrades and improvements including renovations to the hotel room. We look forward to significantly raising the level of comfort and guest satisfaction throughout the hotel.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback which can only serve to make us better. Truly sorry if your experience was less than expected and hopefully you may give us another chance in the future.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Hotel is in a good spot to a lot of downtown Toronto. Room was a bit smaller then I thought it would be but it was clean and comfortable. It was surprisingly quiet, the staff at the desk were very helpful. Breakfast had a nice selection for continental but was rather cool/cold but we took it to our room and heated it in the microwave that the room came with. Good value for downtown. We went to a concert at The Opera house and took a cab for like $11 bucks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This was our second stay at this location. We chose it again because of it's close proximity to family. This visit was less comfortable than our first and confirmed that we will not stay again.
Issues:
Parking: When we arrived, the garage was full. We used the call button to call the front desk and could not get an answer. Finally went to the nearest public garage located two addresses down.
When checking in we let the desk know about the issue and they replied, "you should have call us." Himmmmmm we did..
Room:
We were given a king room on the second floor. Getting off the elevator we were hit with a rather unpleasant odor. A mix between mildew and old cooking odor. It was pervasive. The hall way was narrow and poorly lit. When we entered our room we were underwhelmed! It was the size of a closet.
We are not picky people but a three night stay in this tiny box felt too much like a prison sentence!
We called the desk, were given a room on the seventh floor that was not much larger. It did have a window that made it bearable.
Pluses: the staff overal was friendly but we're not able to help much.
The location is very closes to public transport.
There are many pubs, restaurants close by. (Check out Loblaws on the corner and their giant wall of cheese!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PezziNewYork
Dear Valued Guest,
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. I want to personally apologize for your disappointment with our Parking. Actually, we have limited space of parking available in our hotel and we give it to the guest on first come first served basis.
We want our guests to have the best experience possible where everything exceeds their expectations. I am sorry if that was not the case during your visit. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a
guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please visit
us again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.
Ontario
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have stayed at this location for 41 nights in the last year alone. This DOES say how much I like the location and the excellent staff. Just returned from my most recent stay and again was more than satisfied with every aspect of the hotel. Please note that this is not a luxury hotel but rather a business/family hotel where quiet and a good qualify sleep is important. Thanks so much to Chris and Ravish that always remember me by name and are concerned for my safety when I leave the hotel late at night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
I was glad your overall experience was enjoyable and that throughout the years you had great experiences and created memories with us. I am touched to hear that you consider us a home away from home, and we hope to continue to build a special relationship with you.
I want to assure you I have shared your comments with those you have mentioned as well as other not mentioned who you may have encountered during your stay.
We hope to welcome you back soon.