“Not worth the price.”
Review of Park Hyatt Toronto

Park Hyatt Toronto
Ranked #19 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 20, 2010

1st morning ordered Pancakes (in room dinning) The were dry and tasted like cornbread. These were not whole grain just regular. Paid about $30 for 3 small pancakes with bacon.
Was placed in small suite rm 1512 next to service elevator which turned out to be very noisy all night long. We requested to be moved and staff was quick to help us move to another room all be it much smaller but a better view.
Asked for change for $20 US to CA from front desk and was told that I would get $19 CA for 20 US. Even though the exchange rate was $1.08 US to $1 Cn. All other venues gave us 1 to 1 exchange.
Beds are not as comfortable as the 4 seasons which we stayed in the 1st of the week in Vancouver.
Ask concierge for directions to near by sushi restaurants and was given vague directions on a local map with no names written next to each circled area which I found unusual.
I am still here and leaving in the morning. We will see how tonight goes. This will be the last of 4 nights stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank accucut

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just returned from a stay at the Park Hyatt Toronto and found it very disappointing. For a hotel that bills itself as in the same class as the Ritz and Four Seasons brands this left a lot to be desired. The rooms are desperately in need of an upgrade and I would compare the current state to something more akin to a Hilton or Marriott, not a five-star hotel. (I'd even go so far as to say that I've stayed in a much nicer Hampton Inn and that the rooms at the Hilton Toronto Airport are significantly nicer although the rest of the hotel isn't). When I discussed my disappointment with the Staff the best they could offer was that renovations would happen soon.

The bottom-line is that this is a fine hotel, but if you want luxury stay at the Four Seasons and if you would be satisfied with the current state of the hotel, save lots of money and stay at the Westin or the Marriott for half of the price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Great hotel in a great location! We did arrive late but our room was warm and a welcome place to spend the following 3 days. Check-in was easy and pleasant with excellentl assistance regarding our restaurant reservation which was 15 minutes away. Room, bed and pillows, bathroom impeccably clean and well maintained. Service and staff, including valets, were excellent.

Breakfast (3 days) was perfect and attentively served. The concierge team was ridiculously helpful providing intel as to many of the great places … and transportation … available. The Yorkville area (across the street) is great for general shopping, eating, and people watching. Getting around, in and out of the hotel was easy and quick (a pleasant surprise).

The only downside was the turn-down. They showed up at 6 pm while we were preparing to go out and did leave a room service plate outside of our door until we spoke to the front desk next morning … but if that’s the worst, then so be it. They did take care of it. Great Time! and would return!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SCB_JR
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I am a huge fan of Park Hyatts and while the Toronto facility is really good, it is a little short of their most memorable properties. First for the FYI's:

1. Some rooms have benefitted have a recent recarpet and some have not, so I'd request a fresher room. My first room had not been recarpeted and while the room was acceptable, it felt tired. The recarpeted rooms are much more pleasant.

2. If you are a light sleeper, exterior noise can be an issue, especially on weekends if you are on a lower floor and facing Avenue Road. Yorkville obviously draws young ultra-affluents and they enjoy playing with their Ferraris and Cayenne Turbos when they leave the clubs, resulting in loud and throaty exhaust notes penetrating some rooms. Highest floors furthest away from Bloor Street or Avenue Road are quietest.

3. The hotel's complimentary bicycle valet program is an excellent amenity and the Don Valley Trails and Toronto Islands make excellent destinations for riders, as does the downtown core on weekends when traffic is quite light.

I've made more than 20 trips to Toronto and love both the city and area surrounding the hotel, and I agree with the general tone of the reviews. I found the level of service to be absolutely outstanding, although I didn't find the property to harmonize well in visual terms. In going from my room to breakfast for example, the room had one theme, the hallway another, the ground lobby a third, and the breakfast room yet a fourth, with none of them top-of-class or particularly complementary. A small thing for sure, but a primary reason I found it just a tad short of expectations as a past Park Hyatt guest.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank TurtleCreekTraveller
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at the Park Hyatt for a leisurely trip to Toronto. The location is ideal....it is close to a subway stop, walkable to a lot of attractions. The service was great, especially the concierge. She helped up book a rental car for a day trip to Niagara Falls. It was so convenient. Finally, the rooms were clean and comfortable. The Park Hyatt really lived up to its name.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed here for our anniversary in an enhanced King room. It was large, very clean, well lite with a very comfortable bed, couch, coffee table and 2 chairs. The linens were good quality and plentiful. We faced north so not a great view but not too bad either. It was quiet and we slept well. The only thing we didn't like was not having a top sheet on the bed. There was just a comforter so we had to turn the air-conditioning up in order to get the room cool enough to sleep with a comforter. The TV was large and modern. The bathroom was large with lots of light and mirrors. The shower had plenty of hot water and good pressure. The room price was very reasonable for the excellent location. A complimentary newspaper was delivered to our door in the morning. It is on the corner of Bloor and Avenue road which is close to the great shopping and restaurants as well as the ROM and Gardner Museum. The service was excellent. There is complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning (only). I recommend the rooftop lounge for drinks and lunch - especially if the weather is good enough to sit on the balcony. I have been to the StilWater spa on a previous occasion with my daughter and we both liked it (massages) very much. Good valet parking - at a price($38+tax+tip). We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2010

In my experience at the Hyatt I encountered a manager by the name of Tatiana in the Annona restaurant. I explained to her that unfortunately our meals were not done the way we had asked for and she responded in a very snotty and rude manner that we probably ordered it incorrectly. I travel about 4 months out of the year and dine out often, I am aware how I should order a steak and how I expect it to be delivered. unfortunately I don't think she is aware of how to speak to a guest without coming across as pretentious... Very disappointed with the meal and most important the managements approach to solving the issue!

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple