“Cleanliness and lack of attention”
Review of Park Hyatt Toronto

Ranked #19 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Hamilton
“Cleanliness and lack of attention”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. I have had major issues each time.

This time I am really not amused. My room wasn't the cleanest or maybe they really just don't use these rooms very often. I thought I was in the dungeon with very low ceilings and questionable in the area of cleanliness after what has happened to me. After one night I have developed a very noticeable rash on my face. It was itchy when I woke up but then it turned into a full blown rash. On my face. I am not allergic to anything but mold so I am wondering if that is the cause of it. Do not agree to stay on the lower floors of the south tower. Also if you lose anything do t expect it to return.

Room Tip: Pick the north tower.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 76sunflower
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The safety of our guests and cleanliness of our facilities remains a top priority and I am terribly sorry to hear that you experienced challenges with your health during your recent travels.

When your schedule allows, please do not hesitate to connect with me directly so that I may note your Tower and Floor preferences and speak with you further regarding the concerns you noted.

Park Hyatt Toronto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Toronto for 10 nights on a business trip. It is quite possible that had we stayed for only 3 nights, this may have been a 4 star review, but as the old saying goes about familiarity breeding contempt...
On first blush, this is an attractive hotel, with some nice amenities and in an undeniably excellent location. Stay for an extended period, however and the cracks do begin to show. The sad fact is that they are largely related to the actions (or lack thereof) of certain staff.
Upon check in, there is little to complain about, although the gentleman we dealt with was rather stiff, as has been mentioned by other reviewers. We certainly did not feel effusively welcomed, but that was not a huge deal. Check in was efficient. We asked for a quiet room and were given a nice room on the 15th floor of the south tower. Unfortunately, the Toronto definition of 'quiet' is quite different to our own. Traffic noise from Bloor was perfectly audible with the window closed and we asked to be moved to the north tower, which was significantly quieter. This is not a criticism, just a warning to others who are not used to Toronto noise levels. Take the north-west side if you want relative quiet.
Unfortunately, this is where things began to slide somewhat. The new room was nowhere near as nicely appointed as the previous one. There was a hole in the carpet, torn wallpaper and only one bedside table. The toilet would not stop running and the sink took forever to drain and was obviously clogged. We reported both problems immediately and were assured they would be taken care of. They never were. We decided to suck it up, because the room was at least quiet.
At this point one of the first of several minor irritants appeared. No kettle or coffee maker in the room. This has been commented upon by several previous reviewers and one would expect that a hotel of the supposed calibre of the Hyatt would take such criticisms to heart and amend the problem. Even the humblest motel in this day and age provides such basic amenities unbidden. We received the same justification that others have mentioned, that there is a coffee machine off the main lobby - and indeed there is. This means that when I awaken in the morning, craving my first cup in order to face the day, I must trudge down to the lobby, looking and feeling my worst, in order to get my fix. This is simply unpleasant. Additionally, the machine is turned off after 9 am, so if you are late in rising, tough.
In the end, I was provided with a cheap plastic kettle so I could at least make tea.
Call me cynical, but I suspect an ulterior motive here. I can't help but feel that this is a way of steering guests towards the $25 per person room service breakfasts, which come with a freshly brewed pot.
Another example of a certain nickel and dime mentality arose shortly thereafter. Upon wishing to make a local call, I discovered that there is a $1.50 charge per call. Once again, many or most hotels of even a lower calibre have long since eliminated such fees. Why is the Hyatt continuing with this policy? I can see no justification that is not purely profit driven.
There were several examples of problems with key staff in the hotel. Two of the most annoying are as follows. There is a free car service within a 5 km radius of the hotel, which is certainly a nice touch - if it is run efficiently. We were not inclined to use it, as we prefer to walk around the centre and see the sights. We did have one occasion to book it, however and regretted doing so. It was our final day and we decided to visit the new aquarium at the CN tower, so we booked the car for 10 am on the Friday morning. This was done on the Wednesday. On Thursday morning, I received a call in my room wondering when we were coming down for our car. I politely clarified that the booking was for Friday and was assured that it was an error and the car would be waiting the next morning.
Upon descending the next morning, looking forward to our day out, we quickly realised that the car was nowhere in sight. I asked the concierge, Orsen, I believe, where the car was. I was informed that the driver had gone home and that the car did not run at 10am. I pointed out that we had booked two days prior and were assured twice that it was fine. His response? "Sorry about that." That was it - end of conversation. No offer to call us a cab or otherwise compensate for the inconvenience to us. Nothing. I'm sorry, that just does not cut it. Of course the car is a luxury and it was not a matter of life or death, but it left a bad taste in our mouths. If you are going to offer such a service, at least make sure it is well run and if you make an error, at least take responsibility for it and try to make amends.
To add insult to injury, upon returning to our room, we found our keys no longer worked. I went to the front desk and was informed that it was because it was 4 pm and we should have checked out hours ago. I responded that we were not due to check out until the following day. We had made one booking of nine days and then subsequently added an additional day shortly thereafter. This was greeted with much muttering about having to shift things around etc. etc. and I felt like it was somehow our fault, even though I had deliberately clarified the booking details upon checking in and had been assured that all was fine.
Another annoyance came at check-out. We were expecting to be picked up for the airport at 12.30, so we requested a half hour late check out, just to be polite. We were informed that the hotel was full and it would not be possible. Now, after a 10 day stay one would reasonably expect a little flexibility, right? I mean, surely all of the incoming guests are not arrive on the stroke of midday. Indeed, when we arrived in the lobby with our bags to wait it out, there was hardly a soul around. It just contributed to the feeling that we were somehow being hustled out the door. Somehow, the longer you stay, the less welcome you feel.
Additionally, upon returning home and checking my Hyatt Gold Passport account, I found that the points had not been credited. I sent an email to the address on the hotel's webpage. That was over a week ago. I am still waiting for a reply. So today I phoned the hotel and was transferred to three different people and finally to some centralised accounting office, where I was on hold for over 20 minutes before giving up and leaving a message. I will update the review later if I ever receive a reply. At this point I am not hopeful.
I could go on, but this is already rather long. There are certainly positives about the hotel and I would hate to come across as a whiner or spoiled in any way. It's was just an accumulation of irritants that served to somewhat poison what was otherwise a lovely trip.
I must say that the room cleaning staff are superb, unfailingly friendly and helpful and by far my favourite members of staff. Maybe put one or two of them on the desks.
The hotel is architecturally lovely and superbly located. It is, overall, a pleasant place to be, but it is badly let down by a lack of attention to detail from certain staff and a certain penny pinching approach to the convenience of guests. A pity, really.

Dr. B. Wills

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Munchiehk
Dear Dr. Wills,

Please allow me to firstly apologise for the inconveniences you shared and for the way in which your experience with us made you feel. It is always our goal to ensure that our guests feel welcome and their expectations exceeded from the moment they walk through our doors. This was not your experience with us and I do not take that lightly.

When you have a moment would you mind if we connected directly to further continue this dialogue and resolve the challenges with your Gold Passport account being credited?

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to speaking with you when your schedule allows.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've been to this spot a few times with great experiences in the past; but the visit this weekend was a bit frustrating. The negatives seemed to outweigh the positives on this trip. Overall:

Positive:
-valet and front desk were very efficient and polite
-food at our events was great

Negative:
-the room I received was very noisy and could hear everything in the hallways
-bathroom shower floods the floor; the drain wouldn't close so a bath wasn't possible
-it seemed staff kept banging on my door when I was trying to sleep to replenish my bar fridge (that I never used) or offer bed turn-up service (who cares?). And then afterwards I could hear the staff banging on every other door in the hallway as the sounds travelled so much.
-security had to come came by at 3:30am to tone down my partying neighbours and again I could clearly here the conversation in the hallway.
-there was a coffee station around the corner from the front desk - I couldn't figure out how to get a coffee or maybe it was broken as I could only get a "brew time" message to come up on the machine.

Entertaining:
-When I entered the elevator to head down for our party there I had somehow stumbled onto the service staff elevator. I had a rolling parade of about 30 staff hopping on and off as it stopped on every floor. It was a funny experience while in my tuxedo.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the end of the hallways or corners.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank R J
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Please accept our sincere apologies that your recent stay was not a comfortable one and for the inconveniences you shared. This is in no way the kind of experience we pride ourselves on offering our guests and if at all possible, I would like to connect with you when your schedule allows.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to speaking with you.

Moncton, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed at this place on a Friday night. The location was perfect close to some night pub and bar. Will try to go back to this same hotel next time. Nice part of town for the weekend. I got a nice view of the CN Tower... Probably got lucky.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed at the Park Hyatt Toronto for around 150 days during 2013 in several stints. I enjoyed my stay there. The location by Yorkville could not be better and the staff is very friendly, particularly the ever cheerful Erin Binns, the house car chauffeur, and also the staff at Anona, their restaurant. The internet access is free throughout the hotel; however every time you came back from an outing hotel there was a cumbersome log-in procedure. I mentioned to Erin that this is not necessary because the access is free and related an experience at a Sofitel in Ho Chi Minh City where, whenever I walked into the lobby, I was immediately logged in. Within a few days they changed it at the Hyatt. Now that’s what I call listening to customers!

The South Tower rooms may have a nicer view, but I recommend the rooms in the North Tower because it is more modern. Even then the rooms are a bit old fashioned, but elegant and I rather like it that way. The rooftop bar is a jewel and also good for a light evening meal. Small niggles: the gym could be bigger and the price for a glass of wine is eye watering.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor,

Thank you for your lovely note and kind words regarding Erin and our entire team.

I am pleased to hear that during each stay with us you felt comfortable and any concerns were immediately addressed. We do not take it lightly that we have been your hotel of choice and look forward to welcoming you home when your travels bring you back to Toronto for your 151st stay.

From our home to yours, we wish you the very best for the holiday season.

United States
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in October. The room was nice and the staff were very quick about fixing the television and delivering towels that were forgotten. My complaints are mostly with the bathroom. There was a shower curtain that looked like it belonged in a motel room and not a four star hotel. It was dingy and made me uncomfortable taking a shower. All the bath towels were frayed and looked like they had been washed too many times. In addition, the layout of the bathroom was awkward with the towel rack over the toilet and far from the sink and bath. Lastly, the prices at the restaurant for breakfast were beyond ridiculous even for a hotel restaurant. I feel that the hotel management needs to look at the details of their hotel more carefully.

Room Tip: ask for the new(isn) wing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Please allow me to first apologise for your experience not being a seamless one and not reflecting the type of service we strive to provide our guests. I would like to further explore the opportunities noted; would you mind connecting with me directly when your schedule allows?

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Ontario
Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel in fashionable Yorkville to the moment we left we received first class service. We arrived early and were able to check-in. Tony and Catherine at reception were helpful, friendly and personable and on finding out it was my birthday, paid special attention to this fact and upgraded our room.

Our room was a well appointed large room with two queen beds, comfy chairs and a bar fridge. The large bathroom was equipped with hairdryer, slippers, robes and lovely toiletries. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and soft. The one thing we missed was a coffee machine in the room although I believe coffee was available in the lobby but hoofing it down there early in the morning is not my cup of tea so to speak. We also missed a morning newspaper outside our door. The evening service staff was efficient and friendly, turning down our beds and making sure our ice buckets were full.The room had not much of a view but it was extremely quiet for downtown Toronto.

I very much appreciated the bottle of wine Tony at reception sent to our room in recognition of my birthday. This made me feel like such an honored guest.

We had a drink in the 18th floor lounge and I imagine in warmer weather it would have been fantastic to sit on the terrace. Service in the lounge was great and the drinks expensive.

Room service was again first class. Abul was so friendly and attentive and went out of his way to make everything perfect for us. I was so pleased and surprised when Abul brought a decadent birthday cake from the IRD Staff to our room.

We had a filling lunch in Yorkville and wanted something lighter for dinner. Dinner in the Annona Restaurant in the hotel fit the bill with both the hostess and servers providing excellent service. We both agreed the salmon dish was healthy with perfect proportions and well worth every bite.

We had appointments the next day at the Stllwater Spa in the hotel which was another wonderful experience. Spa staff were helpful and attentive and the tea lounge area was constantly refilled with various flavors of water, finger sandwiches, biscotti, coffee and tea. We were welcome to arrive early and relax in the refreshment area and use the whirlpool, steam room, sauna and fitness centre before and as well after our treatments. Our body treatments of 90 minutes, the Morrocan Rhassoul Wrap and the River Stone Mud Wrap, were expensive but as the Spa is recognized as one of the best Spas in Toronto, the high quality products used and the excellent treatment, the money was well spent for a special occasion such as this.

On another note, the day of our departure, the cleaning staff knocked three different times to come in. It wasn't anywhere near check out time. Since we did not use the Do Not Disturb Sign I could understand the first time knocking, but the second and third times were a bit annoying.

We were sorry to have to leave the hotel after two nights. I can't remember ever receiving such warm, caring and efficient service as we did in this hotel. This was a great way to celebrate a 65th birthday and look forward to many more.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Happy belated birthday! I am delighted to hear that your celebration was made that much more special by efforts from our Park Hyatt family.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is always a pleasure to hear when guests have had a chance to experience all of our amenities as you did. I completely understand how annoying the repeated knocks must have been – please accept my apologies for that inconvenience.

I have shared your compliments to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit and helping to create many more memories.