New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Park Hyatt Toronto

Park Hyatt Toronto
Ranked #14 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
TA
“First impression counts - Like it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

On business tours you don't have much time to stay stretches of time and first impression counts! This one is a very luxurious hotel with the touch of "old money" Hong Kong '80s style if you know what I mean. It could use some face lifting and pay more attention to cleaining the facility but otherwise I loved my stay. The location is great and was perfect for my needs. The roof top meeting bar was way overpriced but somehow I enjoyed the wine and company. Breakfast not included in room and was petit yet classy. Based on location, facilities and service this one is like an aging gypsy - you get robbed with class and charm. I liked it...

Room Tip: Get someone else to pay your bills
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Miguel&Tulio
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Welcome to our Park Hyatt Toronto Family!

We are delighted to hear that your first experience with us was perfect.

Whenever your travels bring you back to Yorkville, we look forward to once again welcoming you to your home away from home.

-Gail Aihoshi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

First time in Toronto. Great city. Booked this hotel for the location and the brand. Price was high but thought it would be worth it. Comfortable room but a bit small and not worth the dime. Very busy hotel but just a bit too expensive for it to be worth it. Location is prime though!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Yorkville. I am hoping that time permits us to connect in the near future to further discuss the details of your stay.

Please feel free to let me know when this would be most convenient for you.

Thunder Bay, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I had a one night stay at the Park Hyatt for business. Every staff member was friendly and went over and above to provide excellent customer service. At breakfast, in the restaurant, the staff were cheerful and friendly (without it being annoying) and the food was excellent (expensive but pretty much the standard pricing for downtown Toronto hotels). I only had a block to walk but the desk clerk offered me and umbrella and luggage storage for the very rainy day. Once my meeting was complete, the concierge and doorman ensured I got a taxi quickly and I was on my way to the airport in no time.

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for your kind words.

It is always our pleasure to ensure that our guests every need is met during their stay with us. When your travels bring you back to Toronto, we look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Once again, thank you for your compliments and I will be sure to share them with the entire team.

Grand Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This hotel is first class all the way. The staff is extremely competent and professional, and friendly in a businesslike manner. The housekeeping department does an excellent job - everything was immaculate in our room, the lobby, the elevator, etc. The room had a small living-room area with a sofa and chair, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was large and clean. The hotel is located right in the heart of the upscale Yorkville section of Toronto, across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), and an easy walk to Queens Park. There are numerous restaurants and cafes within a few minutes walk as well. Finally, the rooftop lounge provides a cozy atmosphere in the evening, with a great view of the Toronto skyline. The cocktails, though expensive, are excellent.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It is a pleasure to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to experience all that Yorkville has to offer. When you both return to Toronto for your next visit, we would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay.

Bourne End, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Check in easy, service great , the bar on the 8th was wonderful. Service was consistantly wonderful, but not in your way.

Room Tip: My room in the right hand tower was wonderfully quiet.
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We strive to ensure that all of our guests enjoy a seamless experience, in a non-intrusive way. I am delighted to learn that your stay was as we all hoped it would be and look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit to Toronto.

Thank you for your compliments.

Portsmouth, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I spent a week here on business and, although it's not really the sort of hotel that I'd go for if it was my money, I still thought it was a decent enough hotel.

I stayed in two separate rooms, the first being in the "south" tower, high up on the 12th floor and with superb views of the CN tower. It might be worth asking if there's a room on that side as it was quite nice. The second room, in contrast, had a great view of apartments from across the street! Both rooms were rather spacious and included a large bathroom. The best bit, however, was undoutably the actual bed. With five outrageously comfortable pillows and a comfy bed that was just too nice to describe, every morning was difficult to get up! The only downside to the room was the need for a second tidy up by the cleaner in the evening, which I found a bit invasive really. You'd come back from an evening and find it all tidy and rearranged. It felt like mum had been in and tidied the room!

The most disappointing aspect of the hotel was the exceptionally poor restaurant. I'm a vegetarian and the options were limited and very much overpriced. The less said about my 3 pieces of ravioli that I got on my plate and the ridiculous price that I was charged the better. I'd also not recommend the restaurant if you're in a hurry as it took 2 hours for them to deal with a starter and a main course during a time when it didn't seem too busy. Breakfast was also very disappointing, expensive and entirely egg-related.

That said, these sort of things might not so noticeable or relevant to others, although I can't imagine too many people being pleased to pay C$20 for a tiny 3 egg omellette and C$4 for seven (yep, I counted them) "breakfast potatoes". Thank god my expenses were being paid because it really was so overpriced that I actually looked for places outside the hotel to eat in the morning.

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is with the "The Roof" bar area at the top of the hotel. The bar serves light food like tapas etc. It was very popular, but I just got the impression that everybody there was waiting for somebody famous to enter the place. They all seemed rather disappointed when I popped up to have a look! The outside area is quite small too, with a narrow walkway and a few benches. The view is good I guess. Myself and my colleagues decided to leave the frustrated star watchers to get on with things and instead when to a nicer bar around the corner.

The staff were very nice and friendly, although the people who delivered my breakfast to the room did go a bit OTT with their greetings some times. I certainly didn't get any judgemental glances from staff that I usually get when travelling solo.

If you're looking for a few nice bars, I'd recommend going out of the hotel, turn left and then take the first left and walk down that road and there are some good pubs there. If you're looking for cash, there's an HSBC Bank opposite with a cash machine. We went to the first bar that we came across and had an enjoyable evening being served by friendly staff. I didn't catch the name of the pub, but it was opposite the Duke of York pub. Further along are some other interesting bars but I didn't get the opportunity to get to them.

Other than a nice bedroom, I just don't think it's worth the prices that they charge. I didn't even entertain a thought of a nice massage as they were all so incredibly expensive. It doesn't have to be that way but this hotel does strive to be a really posh five star hotel which it really isn't.

I've stayed in toronto before I found I didn't really like the location in contrast to the hotel I stayed in a few years back (see my review for that!). If looking through windows of expensive Burberry and Ferrari dealership is your thing then you'll be more impressed than I was. Turn right out of the hotel and walk down Bloor towards downturn for some more interesting areas like Younge steet (about 30 mins walk). There's a metro nearby too.

So overall I'd say comfy bed, kind and helpful staff are the strong points. The rubbish, over priced food and poor location being the main downsides. If money no option then I'd probably go somewhere a bit nicer, and if I'm cash strapped there's definitely better places.

One thing for certain is that Toronto itself is a fantastic place!

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay.

Here at the Park Hyatt Toronto, we consider feedback a gift and take guest comments seriously. Please know that I have shared your note with our Executive Chef and our culinary team in an effort to look into offering additional vegetarian options.

When your travels bring you back to Yorkville, please be sure to connect with me directly.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

This trip was the best mix of being catered on, but still left alone.

Everyone was very friendly, great location, quite night sleep -- Although the room was slightly more then we typically pay, it was still a great value! (Considering we paid only about $35 more then Holiday Inn rate)

Room Tip: You can park cheaper overnight at the ROM parking lot. But Valet parking at hotel is free to enter...