“Comfortable central stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Comfortable central stay”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

A lovely hotel in a pleasant safe area. Looks good from the moment you enter with a very large well appointed reception area.
The reception staff were very helpful. We asked for a fridge and a kettle - the coffee maker was not hot enough for this Scottish tea-drinker and they were delivered free of charge within minutes. the only down side was because of the size of the hotel the faces we saw at reception were constantly changing so we did not get to know them.

The room was very good . It had all you would expect including hairdryer iron and ironing board and large slimline television. A really comfy kingsize bed!! This was a standard room not an executive one.
There was free wi-fi in the room which helped me keep in touch with home .The small downside was I had to renew the connection everyday which was a bit of a hassle.
Best of all it had a seating area with couch chair and table -the main reason we chose this hotel as we would be there for nearly 3 weeks and were looking for some home comforts.
the room was cleaned every day and towels etc replenished.

We made great use of the swimming pool which was of a high standard with lovely fluffy towels provided. My only small quibble was that it was unmanned and I could see no evidence of close circuit television. I often was alone in the pool and wondered how long I would go unnoticed if I met with an accident.

We did not eat in the hotel although the daytime menu looked good. we would have taken breakfast if it had been a little less expensive. $18 each for what was a very standard breakfast was extortionate especially as some central hotels serve a similar breakfast free.
In another review I will tell you of the excellent alternative we found at $7 including the ubiquitous 15% add on.

The hotel is ideally placed for getting around Toronto. A 1 minute walk to the bus station and a 8-10min walk to Union Train and Subway station. It is also close enough to walk to Eaton Shopping Mall the Distillery District Lakeside etc.Its less than 5 minutes from St Lawrence Market.

Some tips -ask for those little extras to make your stay comfie -kettle etc I found them very obliging.
- there are always taxis outside the hotel night and day.I ordered one through the hotel and it cost over twice as much -it was a limo though!!
-look around the area for breakfast -lots of choice.
-don't use the bar snacks -extortionate -there is a shop right next to the hotel
-unless in a hurry don't use the laundry service .There is a wash and fold service just beside St Lawrence Market where the clothes come back as if they had been ironed -very impressive.

A nice hotel but it is an hotel and for those home -from - home touches it takes a wee bit of effort.
Would stay there again for the comfort of the room ,Its swimming pool and its central position.

Room Tip: The 8th floor is where the pool is lovely to walk just along the corridor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bigmamma10_0
GMNovoteltc, General Manager at Novotel Toronto Centre, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your very detailed review of your stay with us. Our breakfast is one of the very best in the city. Generally in Downtown Toronto hotels breakfast is not included in the price unless you buy a package deal. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Surrey England
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed here for just one night in an executive room on the fourth floor.
In spite of all the construction work going on we found the hotel easily,taking the Jarvis St exit and turning left into Front St. and down into the underground carpark.We found a space right opposite the elevator so it was easy to access the hotel.
Check in was quick and easy and we were told we could get into our room straight away inspite of being one and half hours before allocated check in time.
Our room was a little larger than the standard rooms so we had ample space.The bathroom was modern and spotlessly clean with a good supply of toiletries.
The wifi was excellent and the bed very comfortable.
Breakfast was include in our rate and this was good.

This hotel is in a good location to reach many places on foot.We walked down to the harbour front to take the ferry over to the islands and in the evening we walked to the CN tower where we had dinner reservations.

We would stay here again if in the city.

Room Tip: Book an executive room on the fourth floor for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Livorno, Italy
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent just one night in this hotel, but we were very happy with every aspect of it. We chose it because it is very centrally located (walking distance from CN tower, downtown, tourist harbor, distillery district and St Lawrence market...) but at the same time easily reachable from the Gardiner Expressway (although the extensive construction made difficult for us to get immediately to the Esplanade) . The room rate was not cheap at all, but breakfast for three was included. Breakfast was very reach and good. Our room on the 4rth floor was facing the Esplanade, but we didn't have any problem with noise or loud music (and it was saturday night). It was very clean, comfortable, and soundproof, and the bathroom was spacious.
Reading some of the not-so-good reviews I feel puzzled: we had free wireless in our room, and it was working very fast. We paid $25 per day for the parking, which is not expensive at all for Toronto, less than typical parking price we saw. The reception staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. We had dinner in one of the restaurants just in front of the hotel: plenty of choice. We found some time to relax in the swimming pool (my daughter) and in the hot Jacuzzi (myself). All in all, I feel I can highly recommend this hotel and I'm sure I'll choose it again if I go back to Toronto.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Norwich
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights recently. Location is very good with easy access to Central Toronto. Rooms were very similar to those we have experienced with Novotel in Europe. Staff were generally pleasant. For our arrival I had taken advantage of an offer to have a bottle of champagne in our room. I paid £30 for this. Champagne actually turned out to be Prosecco which is available for under 13 Canadian dollars locally. I didn't complain about this although I did feel there was a degree of misrepresentation in the 'offer'. We paid cash during the rest of our stay and were surprised on checkout to be told there was a tip of over 6 dollars due for bar services. It transpired that the charge was for placing our (non) champagne in our room. After a lengthy debate I paid as we were en route to the airport.

Frankly I feel that the imposition of this 'tip' is a total rip off and will make me seriously consider whether I should use Novotel again

• Stayed September 2013
Croydon, England
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel could not find our booking in this digital age and I have to produce the confirmation email to prove the reservation. Kept us waiting with no apologies or any urgencies. Offered us a lesser room to the one we booked we refused. Then offered us the room type we wanted.

Notwithstanding these initial hiccups, our family's seven nights stay during mid to late August this year went smoothly. We paid competitive rates since booked during sales time. But breakfast was not included. Room was large enough for the family, similar in sizes to the ones found in other branded hotels in Europe. A few times we tried the Breakfast which was very good especially the breads. Children eat free with paying adult. Location was excellent, most of downtown attractions are within the walking distance. We did not used other hotel facilities. Would recommend the hotel for families and look for offers in their rates.

Construction works going on in the vicinity including works to Union Station and this might cause a bit of disorientation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We ended up booking at this hotel because we found a good deal, but I wasn't convinced about it because of past reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very clean and modernized (flat screen TV and free wifi). No complaints about the service. By booking through Booking.com, we also got a free full breakfast which normally costs about $18 per person. The best thing about this hotel is the location. We were able to walk to the hotel from Union station and to all the places we wanted to visit including the CN Tower.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends