“Just ok, rooms need to be updated” 3 of 5 stars

Novotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #45 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersGold level
Shediac, Canada
“Just ok, rooms need to be updated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here in January 2013 and booked on hotels.com. Based on internet reviews and the novotel name we were expecting better rooms and probably would have chosen another hotel within the price range had we been able to see the rooms in person beforehand. We thought maybe we had gotten a room that hasn't been updated yet (we just booked a standard room), but a friend also booked a room and they looked exactly the same, in the need of an update. Walls, carpets, furniture show signs of age. Bathroom is not comfortable enough to take a bath in (old tile, small tub) which is a shame. Beds are not super comfortable and most rooms I have seen have strange ugly couches (i think they might be pull outs?). The lobby and restaurant is better with a more refreshed and updated look. Gym was nice as well. Staff is friendly, food is average (although I have heard the Sunday brunch should be good) ...oh, and the coffee is not so good..maybe the lattes are better, i don't know. OVerall I would say it is average and you should not pay more than 100-130$ for the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MelJeffNB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Well thought out room (e.g. built in place for suitcase) with comfortable bed. Excellent air quality and quiet for sleeping. Convenient for Union Station users but lots of construction in the area right now, making it feel a bit awkward to get to. I didn't notice any noise effects of the construction once inside the hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thornhill, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Great Location on The Esplanade. Room was dated with cracked tiles in the bathroom. Good size room and bathroom. I expected it to be noisy at night because it was during the day but I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was at night. I also slept better than usual. Buffet food served at business meeting was good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brasilia, DF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I`ve spent 3 nights in the Novotel Toronto centre in december 2012. This was my second time in the hotel. I`ve returned because I really liked it`s installations and confort. I really recomend this hotel but a smal problem occurred to me. I`ve had a reservation in ``pay-upon-booking``way but at the end of my stay they`ve recharged my credit card. Hotel staffs were not very kind but Accor Brazil and USA centers solved my problem. I believe that it was an acciental problem that was solved by Accord central. I advise all tourists to allways check credit card facture, to keep all receipts and to immediatly contact Accor staffs in case of any problem.
By the way hotel localization and facilities are perfect, cleaning and confort are really good too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cirogomes
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute and appreciated the fast checkin. The room was well appointed which I find is consistent with other Novotels I have stayed in. As I did not have a laptop I appreciated that there was a desktop computer in the lobby which i utilized. As others have pointed out it has an excellent location within walking distance to subway/metro, restaurants, theatre, Hockey Hall of Fame

I would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Odessafile75
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I agree with the comments about the street noise and the Hotel being a little dated, however the rooms are a good size, the breakfast buffet really good value and lots of choice plus I found the staff to be extremely helpful (we stayed here once in December and once in January). As I pre-paid for the accommodation I can't remember what we paid. My assumption is that this Hotel will be a little cheaper than others, so if you can get a good deal I recommend staying here. I didn't think the dinner food was great but it is reasonable value.

Room Tip: Lower room numbers on each floor should have less street noise.