“Not modern rooms, bad service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Novotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #42 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersGold level
Jalisco
“Not modern rooms, bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at Novotel for business and I can say that my expectations where others before I stayed, the rooms looks old and not to clean and the staff is not to friendly... actually, the only day that I interact with a nice staff was the night when I reviewed my bill... I think you can find better hotels with better staff in Toronto even though the internet is not high speed (al least the signal was too bad during my stay)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mndz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We are here right now and just got back from shopping. Our giant glass steins that were a souvenir from yesterday are gone! Why would anyone remove these from our room? Giant steins with pewter emblems. Unbelievable. And there was and still is big long black hairs in the washroom. Location is great but stealing or removing things without permission is unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank 6kater
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Returned last week hotel first class all facilities . Staff excellent, friendly, food very good would definitely go back and a special thank u to Julie pilkington and all her staff for all the help they gave us . Many thanks Ken clarke and all the English lions team

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bavaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Hotel is very good located. We walked from the underground-station - that was ok. You can walk to most of the sights, the cn tower, the shopping malls. Just across the street are some nice restaurants where we had a really good dinner.

The windows of the room did not open, it was a competition to dry your clothes after rain.
The room was clean but nothing special

The breakfast was very good and tasty.

We would come back to the Novotel Toronto.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moose2010Bavaria
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here after attending my son's wedding for 3 nights before flying home. Hotel is conventiently located in downtown Toronto, which is makes access by foot, subway, streetcare or PATH (28 km underground netwwork of tunnels and shopping compexes) to all parts of the city very easy.
Situated opposite several pubs and resturants so you don't have to venture far if you don't wish to eat in the hotel at night.
We had a large clean room with comfy beds and we found a good selection at breakfast each day. Staff were couteous and helful if a little formal. Our only quibble was (a fault with most modern city based hotels) you cannot open the bedroom window to let in fresh air, the air con is efficient but makes the atmospehere somewhat oppressive and we both had dry mouths most nights.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Middle55
Droitwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for six night on business trip to Canada. Typical Novotel that delivers what you expect at a fair price. Bland rooms but very clean and exceptionally comfortable bed. Faultless wifi (free) and good service. All the staff bar two were I have to say not very friendly. All the staff bar the two friendly ones were of overseas origin. Lesson there I think Novotel. Housekeeping was superb. Pool area was great, and again very clean. Food choice is limited, but to be fair there are countless restaurants of all tastes within a 10 minute walk. Breakfast is however very good with lots of choice.

What makes this place special is its location. Slap bang in the Downtown area, 3 mins from the harbour front, next to all the shops and 10 mins from the CN Tower. If you have never been to Toronto, it's a fantastic city, and you will struggle to find a better location to stay than this one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

When you check in the desk clerk will try to have you sign, as he told us, an "Emergency Contact Form". I'm so glad I didn't fill it out. He informed us that it was in case we left anything behind or needed to be contacted for an emergency. It was just genuinely creepy the way he demanded I fill out the form placing my address, phone number, email etc on it. I refused, and only put my email address on it. What I discovered thus far is that It's a marketing ploy as I have received a few emails asking me to fill out a survey about my stay. I would not have even put my email address down if I knew it was for marketing purposes. Shame on you Novotel/Accor. I just finished reading your "Privacy Policy" and #3.1 is transparency, it says nothing about trickery...

About the location: I have to admit and agree, the Novotel location is fantastic. It is a couple blocks from the St. Lawrence Market and Starbucks; is across the street from the Old Spaghetti Factory, 2 blocks from the Sony Centre and a quick walk to Hanks for breakfast. But...

The doors on Novotel are odd. I imagine the designer thought that doors which open out to the street were like giving a hug? If you have never been to this hotel, stand back - of course you expect doors to open inward... not here. Both double doors open out to the street causing you to pick up your bags and back up a couple feet. Dumb design IMHO.

Now while the lobby is modern, our room and hallway appeared dated. While waiting for my wife to change our room, the clerk put us next to the elevator, I noticed the molding joints cracked, traveled carpet and the chair next to me a tad wonky. Never mind the colour.

We got our room and while it didn't smell fresh, it was clean. The bathroom does not have a fan, apologies to the wife. The shower's water pressure was poor. Also, be careful, someone decided it would be a good idea to put the hair dryer directly next to the shower. I'm not kidding... how did this pass code? The antique TV didn't bother me, was odd to see though. The fridge is NOT for your use... do not put anything in the fridge - they'll find out...

Plus of the room? There is an in-room safe that was nice to have, the pillows were comfy; there was an ironing board, iron and small coffee maker.

Would we stay again? Maybe... depends on how many more "Emergency Contact Form" emails I get...

Room Tip: Once you get your room, if it is near the ice machines or elevator, go back downstairs and ask for a...