“Good location, good hotel”

Novotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #45 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good location, good hotel”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here after attending my son's wedding for 3 nights before flying home. Hotel is conventiently located in downtown Toronto, which is makes access by foot, subway, streetcare or PATH (28 km underground netwwork of tunnels and shopping compexes) to all parts of the city very easy.
Situated opposite several pubs and resturants so you don't have to venture far if you don't wish to eat in the hotel at night.
We had a large clean room with comfy beds and we found a good selection at breakfast each day. Staff were couteous and helful if a little formal. Our only quibble was (a fault with most modern city based hotels) you cannot open the bedroom window to let in fresh air, the air con is efficient but makes the atmospehere somewhat oppressive and we both had dry mouths most nights.
Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Middle55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for six night on business trip to Canada. Typical Novotel that delivers what you expect at a fair price. Bland rooms but very clean and exceptionally comfortable bed. Faultless wifi (free) and good service. All the staff bar two were I have to say not very friendly. All the staff bar the two friendly ones were of overseas origin. Lesson there I think Novotel. Housekeeping was superb. Pool area was great, and again very clean. Food choice is limited, but to be fair there are countless restaurants of all tastes within a 10 minute walk. Breakfast is however very good with lots of choice.

What makes this place special is its location. Slap bang in the Downtown area, 3 mins from the harbour front, next to all the shops and 10 mins from the CN Tower. If you have never been to Toronto, it's a fantastic city, and you will struggle to find a better location to stay than this one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

When you check in the desk clerk will try to have you sign, as he told us, an "Emergency Contact Form". I'm so glad I didn't fill it out. He informed us that it was in case we left anything behind or needed to be contacted for an emergency. It was just genuinely creepy the way he demanded I fill out the form placing my address, phone number, email etc on it. I refused, and only put my email address on it. What I discovered thus far is that It's a marketing ploy as I have received a few emails asking me to fill out a survey about my stay. I would not have even put my email address down if I knew it was for marketing purposes. Shame on you Novotel/Accor. I just finished reading your "Privacy Policy" and #3.1 is transparency, it says nothing about trickery...

About the location: I have to admit and agree, the Novotel location is fantastic. It is a couple blocks from the St. Lawrence Market and Starbucks; is across the street from the Old Spaghetti Factory, 2 blocks from the Sony Centre and a quick walk to Hanks for breakfast. But...

The doors on Novotel are odd. I imagine the designer thought that doors which open out to the street were like giving a hug? If you have never been to this hotel, stand back - of course you expect doors to open inward... not here. Both double doors open out to the street causing you to pick up your bags and back up a couple feet. Dumb design IMHO.

Now while the lobby is modern, our room and hallway appeared dated. While waiting for my wife to change our room, the clerk put us next to the elevator, I noticed the molding joints cracked, traveled carpet and the chair next to me a tad wonky. Never mind the colour.

We got our room and while it didn't smell fresh, it was clean. The bathroom does not have a fan, apologies to the wife. The shower's water pressure was poor. Also, be careful, someone decided it would be a good idea to put the hair dryer directly next to the shower. I'm not kidding... how did this pass code? The antique TV didn't bother me, was odd to see though. The fridge is NOT for your use... do not put anything in the fridge - they'll find out...

Plus of the room? There is an in-room safe that was nice to have, the pillows were comfy; there was an ironing board, iron and small coffee maker.

Would we stay again? Maybe... depends on how many more "Emergency Contact Form" emails I get...

Room Tip: Once you get your room, if it is near the ice machines or elevator, go back downstairs and ask for a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickcaNick
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Novotel is located on a great little street right in the heart of downtown. The entrance and lobby are outstanding. The rooms are extremely dated and small however. Pale pink carpet and an old tube tv. The toilet had a large crack in it. Rather than replacing the toilet they "cemented" it back together. Will not be staying with them again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jayno19
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel very clean and courteous staff. On site parking and affordable Already decided we will stay here again when we come back!! Stayed during Canadian thanksgiving had a great traditional dinner in the hotel. Just a great experience for our first visit to Toronto. Well done Novotel!!

• Stayed October 2012
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in for 3 nights on the 30th Sept! Bathroom outdated (slight smell need a better extractor fan) but room good (no need for the mini bar fridge use would have been more helpful). Location great! Pool not bad - swam a few times with my little one!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Flissy87
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Hi, We stayed at this hotel August 17th for 4 nights. Very central for all sightseeing, quite a grand entrance - we really enjoyed the city especially the distillary quarter and CN tower. I agree with some of the other comments - the room was a bit out dated, TV, furnishings etc, room was clean but on opening the door it smelt noticeably smoky even though we had asked for a non smoking room. We were situated not far from ice making machine which clunked during the night. There was no room cleaning for two days and on second day when we returned from a day out we luckily found a chambermaid on our floor for more tea/coffee supplies. On the third day (evening again after a trip to Niagara falls, beautiful and well worth a visit) we had to ask at reception for tea/coffee to be replenished. While there we asked why this wasn't done daily we were told we had to ask for daily cleaning. We have never heard of this before, we have had times in other places when we've used the do not clean/disturb but never one when we've had to request a tidy round. The breakfast staff were great and reception staff gave us some money saving tips on how to get round the city. Would return to Toronto but not sure I would use this Novotel again even though it was handy for shops and sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family