“Fine hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Canada
“Fine hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst going to a Bruce concert at the SkyDome.
Fine for one night. Breakfast was actually very good with lots of choice.
Kids ate free as adults paid.
Room was comfortable.
Wifi was a bit sketchy thought.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was forced to stay here by my boss who booked me in without asking. I was going to book the Hilton.

I had stayed here exactly two years ago and my review is virtually identical, although service seemed better this time. Front desk staff was very helpful, friendly, and pleasant to deal with.

I did have an executive suite, which was nice. True to the hotel's origins, the room definitely has a European feel to it, right down to the Phillips tvs. Very practical and efficient, but not luxurious. It had a money - I mean- mini-bar (no fridge for your own things), coffee machine etc. The bathroom was nice, with a hardwood sort of floor, and was large and clean. My room had a small living room, 2 tvs, and a king bed. Room also included free breakfast in the restaurant. It was ok. Bed was very comfy.

The big, huge knock against this hotel for me is still the noise issue. The Esplanade (the street the hotel is on) has several bars, each with a patio, so it can get pretty raucous around 11 pm - 1 am. My room was on the second floor and features a huge semi-circle window. If you look at a picture of the front of the hotel, it is right behind the arches. It looks great, but is awful for sound, as there is a covered sidewalk which the room overlooks. As a result, any sound is trapped and bounces off the stone ceiling and through the window into your room. Upon arrival to my room, I could immediately hear, word for word, someone having a telephone conversation on the sidewalk below. However, the hotel was full and the city was pretty much full as well so decided to stick it out. Was kept awake by a few people who seemed to be playing football on the street at 4 am on my second night.

While you really can't fault the hotel for this, it is, nevertheless, part of the experience at this hotel.

Other than that, a pretty typical hotel stay.

Room Tip: It is critical to get as far away from the street in front of the hotel - high up or facing away fro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

wow love the location here.. right close to everything.. I came here with all my girlfriends for fun and food and the Bier Market right across the street!.. The beds I must say are the most comfortable beds I ever slept on! (I think so anyway)... The keg is right by so yummy and we were on the 5th floor.. played music til we went out.. ha ha not one complaint.. The staff so helpful and friendly.. even when we kept forgetting our key card to get in the elevator the staff are so nice to help.. Always smile . There's a fridge .. microwave etc.. It was a very quiet nice sleep after we got back later ... not a peep... My car was safe and sound in underground parking.. and try Body Blitz . close by.. amazing amazing spa.. loved the location and will come back ! I just hate how you can't get fresh air in room by opening a window..

Room Tip: don't drink the figi water in bottles in room .. you have to pay for that.. LOL ( i didnt'...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisalynne W
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We caught the airport express bus to Union Station and then walked for 5 minutes to the hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable. We had two queen beds and the room contained a safe. The tv was an old style tv - not a plasma. Of note, the fridge is a movement sensor fridge so it is easy to get charged for just moving things around in the fridge. We didn't touch anything in the fridge! The staff were friendly and helpful. Directly across the street are a couple of pubs and a beer market. We ate and drank at the Scotland Yard pub a couple of times. Just up the road is a stop for the hop-on hop-off bus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kiwibrent1968
sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a room on the 8th floor at the front of the building. I turn off the air con even if the windows don't open. I had a lot of trouble sleeping at night as I could hear resonating -"vroom-vroom-vroom" throughout every night. I think it was the adjacent air con units - maybe their anti vibration mounts are ineffective.
I was early departure and late back every night so never felt like moving out. I told reception at check out. The young girl was indifferent - so someone else will have the same room and problem. The hotel is also totally overpriced.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here on August 26, booked through Hotels.com for a decent price. It was Buskerfest weekend in Toronto and I was taking my girl to see Ill Volo also, so all in all a romantic weekend in Toronto. I just got my cc statement and noticed a $56 charge from the hotel!!! I had already paid in full with Hotel.com!! I called the hotel for an explanation and a manager called me back sometime later and told me it was for a red wine stain on the carpet!!! WTF!! a little red wine spillage cost me $56!! I told him that this was a little extreme and hotels have to expect accidents like this etc, anyway to cut a long story short I was not impressed with the way they handled this and also putting a charge on my card without even contacting me...beware guys of this at this hotel. I just also read the other review on the person that had their car broken into!! I parked in the Toronto public indoor parking which was bright and probably safer. Bottom line, you take responsibility for spillage and pay and they don't take responsibility for your car and still make you pay. Other than that the hotel was Ok, nothing special. The breakfast buffet which we had included was not bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bollox88
Willoughby, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Overall, this was a nice place to stay. Rooms were small but clean. Bed was comfortable. It was nice and quiet on the 7th floor. Good location, in walking distance to restaurants and other activities. My only complaint was upon check-in the staff was very snooty and treated us like we were stupid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends