“Very good value”

Ranked #81 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
“Very good value”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Not 'downtown downtown' but close enough and conveniently located close to the University - with subway station just around the corner. Rooms are small but spotless, beds extremely comfortable and staff friendly and helpful. As for the price... you really can't beat it! I've never gotten better value for my money - not even while travelling in Asia.
Might I also put in a good word for the pub next door, who provides great food, cold beer and an occational friendly conversation for the weary traveller.
Very happy person!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
madmanor, Hote and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you! we always want to be our guests home away from home!

Glad you enjoyed your room, the location and glad you had a great experience.

Our 23 Bedroom B&B The Madison Manor, is located beside our Madison Avenue Pub. Our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under 1 roof. We are celebrating 30 years serving our guests. We serve breakfast in the Pub which is included in the rate.
The Pub has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65 and a much slower pace during the week.

Glad you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back
thank you! Thank you for the great review.

Thank you choosing the Madison. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We arrived at the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel after 11pm. Because of our late arrival, we had to contact hotel staff in the adjacent pub. The manager was helpful and cheerful and happily showed us to our rooms. This hotel is located in the center of University of Toronto's student and fraternity life. The streets were full of students moving in and celebrating the beginning of the new semester. However, our room was completely quiet. You would never have known the activity or excitement going on in the street below and we have seldom slept better.

You cannot beat the location, especially for the University of Toronto, or the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed your room, the location and glad you had a great experience.
Thank you for the great review.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion, each room is different.
They are done with antiques with an old fashioned Victorian style.

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. We are celebrating 30 years serving our guests.
The Pub has a slower pace during the week and has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65.

Pully, Switzerland
Reviewed August 28, 2013

It's really difficult to give a number here because my impressions of the Madison Manor hotel are so mixed. The building is lovely, a converted Victorian house with lots of staircases going in different directions and rooms of different sizes and shapes. We booked a suite (401) which I loved - it was clean, great old furniture, really comfortable bed (I kept waking up thinking I was at home). Free bottled water in the room. Safe. Free wifi. Great. No elevator, as others have pointed out, and we struggled carrying our suitcases upstairs, but that's ok in a house like that. However, downsides. Biggest thing - the noise. On Friday and Saturday night there was a lot of noise from the pub coming out, shouting, arguments, singing, cars hooting between about 2am and 2.30. Both times I was woken from a deep sleep so it was LOUD. To add to the fun, there's a frat house next door, and I *think* the extremely loud amplified live music on the Sunday evening came from the frat house rather than the pub. To be fair they stopped around 10pm, but it did change the mood of our bottle of Niagara wine on the balcony. Breakfast is a basic continental with cereals and pastries / bagels. It's served in one of the pub's rooms and has a rather dingy morning-after feel. The carpet is sticky with beer, the light is dim... it's a shame because the actual hotel house (no. 20) is so clean and crisp and well-lighted, though I suppose it wouldn't be cost-effective to serve breakfast in one of its downstairs rooms. We enjoyed staying away from the downtown area and getting to know the transport system. You can cut through the back of the alley between pub and hotel for a short cut to Spadina/Bloor subway station. So, the room / hotel is worth a 4 or even a 5, but the noise and the sticky carpet bring the rating down, I'm afraid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for you for your very detailed review. Glad you liked your room, and our location.

Just ask our front desk when you check in and we will be so pleased to arrange for one of
our staff to assist with your luggage for check in and check out of your room.
Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion, each room is different, done
in antiques. We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we are always delighted to get you
assistance with your luggage.

Our Basic Continental self service breakfast is served in our main level Victorian Pub. I am sorry that the carpet was a little sticky. It is professionally cleaned every week after our busy weekends. Our basic continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries, Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Selection of Boxed Cereals and some
fruit.

We have a very busy weekend pace, with a fun and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. The Frat House next door to us has been a good neighbour and many residential homeowners play their music until 10:00 pm. We are on a residential street so noisy cars are not usual.
The Madison Manor is part of the Madison Avenue Pub, with 6 Victorian Pubs and is
one of the largest Pub Venues of it's kind in North America. We are celebrating 30 years
serving our guests.

Arizona
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I chose this hotel based on Tripadvisor recos. Honestly? I think it is great. Unfortunately, I almost was never in my room. I checked in late, slept very well on the firm but comfortable/large bed (checked in on a Wednesday, it was quiet) then was gone all the next day until returning extremely late to sleep again. I missed my complimentary breakfast so can't review but the room was well done, old-ish furniture in a sweet old house. I did hear some 20 somethings hanging outside my room on Thursday night (i guess Thursdays are big party days in Toronto) but they didn't bother me at all. I heard nothing from the bar. I did request a quiet room. I never tried the tv or anything - I seriously just slept. Front desk and management were all wonderful and helpful. There is no ramps - I am wondering about accessibility....? I had to drag my VERY heavy bag up stairs and down. May be an issue but perhaps there was ramps and I didn't see them - check when you reserve. The hotel rooms are in a separate building. I would stay here again. I liked the neighborhood, there are places to walk to easily, I thought my room was sweet and even romantic (if I had someone to share), the shower wasn't strong but hot and clean and fine, and I slept like a baby. If I came back, I'd stay here no second thinking. Oh, and the pub seems good!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. If you have issues with stairs let them know
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for you for your nice review! Glad you liked your room.
We hope we can welcome you back to spend more time to enjoy some of
the features of the Madison. Glad you had a great night.

We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we will always be pleased to assist with
your luggage if you need assistance. Just ask our front desk when you check in
and we will be pleased to arrange for one of our staff to assist with your luggage
for check in and check out of your room.

in antiques. Our Madison B&B rooms are a nice size, as you would expect in a residential Mansion. They are done with antiques with an old fashioned Victorian style.
We have many Wedding Groups who book the Madison B&B for their guest accommodations.
We have had many Brides and Grooms doing small weddings at their homes in
the neighbourhood come and stay with us for their wedding nights and the find
the settings fits with their theme of casual, romantic and old fashioned.

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. We are celebrating 30 years.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at the Madison for three nights at the beginning of August 2013.

I've always believed at staying at smaller establishments (B&Bs, mom & pop inns, etc.) when I travel for two strong reasons. First, I can directly support these small properties when I stay with them (i.e. I know exactly where my money is going, instead of going to a faceless hotel corporation possibly located in a foreign country), and secondly I believe I get much more personalized service vs. the hotel mega-corp).

The Madison is a neat little hotel located next door to a pub (more on that later) and grill. Breakfast is served each morning at the grill, and consists of bagels, jam, cereal, boiled eggs, and additional delicacies (there is no cooked-to-order option). I was certainly not disappointed by the breakfast offerings, so much so that I often felt full enough to skip lunch. Upon check-in, I was given a complementary $12 Gift Certificate good at the Pub/Grill towards any purchase- I used it towards lunch one day and had the BEST BeefSteak Tomato/Lobster combo I have ever eaten (and I am not fond of tomatoes). This grill certainly does know how to cook!

The rooms, as other posters have mentioned, are smaller than some travelers may be used to but these are part of the manor (house). The manor itself is made up of a multi-storied building with carpeted/wooden stairways for upper floor access. I should note that there is no elevator ("lift") inside the building, so if climbing stairs several times a day is not your cup of tea you might ask for a ground floor room. Each room comes with its own individual A/C and bathroom, I found the thermostat easy enough to adjust. Being August I did not concern myself with the heating- given Toronto's infamously frigid winters I am certain there are provisions for that. I understand that the entire room area is designated non-smoking, even inside the rooms.

Location: the manor is located directly adjacent to a small park, which in turn is directly behind the Spadina subway/transit station. Once you leave the hotel it's a quick 10 minute walk around the block to get to the subway. Extremely convenient! The nearest major intersection is at Spadina @ Bloor- there are multiple banks, shops, restaurants, etc along both streets. If you walk the other way (east on Bloor) you quickly enter the UT (University of Toronto) campus and neighborhood, with its student housing, departmental buildings, etc. If you stay at this property I highly recommend you use the subway/bus as the neighborhood has extremely limited parking which is strictly enforced.

One final item worth mentioning. Remember the pub I previously spoke of? Yep...it's a pub all right. That means a crowd of 20 something year-olds each night- with crowds being larger on Friday and Saturday nights. They will be gathered in line outside the pub starting around 9-9:30p, and you can still hear their chatter, laughter, etc once you get to your room. I did not hear any of the typical loud music/thumping bass beat that is characteristic of a danceclub, so I'm pretty sure they stick to being a drinking establishment/watering hole. Being from the States and used to a bit more rambunctious behavior from 20 something year olds, I found this crowd to be extremely well disciplined as they waited to get inside. However, if you want absolute peace and quiet at nights, you may have an issue with the above. Noise cancellation headphones might be an option.

In summary: great establishment, friendly staff, delicious breakfast, overall very, very good value for $ (I should know...my US $ has never been this low against the CAD $) :-((. On the last point, I stayed 3 nights with the third night being free, you may be able to find a similar offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the pub, should the noise bother you at nights.
1 Thank frequent_trav_tx
Thank you for you for your very detailed and wonderful review. Glad you liked the your room, the breakfast, the food and our rates. and our location.

We do have special rates at different times of the year so when you call ask to see
if we have any specials available and we will always be pleased to put these in place
if they are available.. We are delighted you enjoyed the $12.00 Pub voucher
included with your package.

Glad you liked our breakfast. Our very basic continental self service breakfast includes:
fruit.

your luggage if you need assistance. Just ask our front desk when you check in
for check in and check out of your room.

in antiques. The rooms are not the big size you would experience in many standard hotels. Although it is a converted Mansion rooms are still a nice size, as you would expect in a residential Mansion.

and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. Many married couples in Toronto tell us they met at the Madison, we host many anniversary celebrations. The Madison Avenue Pub is celebrating
30 years of welcoming patrons to the Madison.

mt pleasant , mi
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We chose this location and hotel because we dont like the typical busy hotels. However, the breakfast was just sugar laden, white processed garbage. There was no ice in the ice machine. The smoke detector kept beeping all night due to a low battery. The room was extremely small and bathroom was so small I had to bend my head in order to see in the mirror.
Also, the location is right next to college fraternaties, there is a bar located right next door so loud music on the weekends.
It was nice and close to the subway, resturants.
I would not visit again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shawn j
Thank you for your review, glad you liked the location.

I do apologize that the Ice Machine was not in working order when you were here
and we had an issue with a hallway smoke detector, you experience should have
been better and again I apologize.

Our very basic complimentary continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries. Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Selection of Boxed Cereals and some
fruit. Many guests enjoy our basic breakfast which is included in the room rate.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion so the rooms are not
All of our rooms in our B&B have their own bathroom and no two rooms are the same.
Some of the bathrooms are smaller in some of the rooms. If you wish a larger bathroom
and room our suites are very lovely and generous in size.

The Pub has much slower pace during the week and has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. The Madison Avenue Pub has been welcoming
patrons for 30th years. We have 6 Victorian Pubs all under 1 roof and a 192 Fresh Beer Taps
throughout out the Madison. We are considered to be one of the most well known and
largest Pubs in North America.

saskatoon
Reviewed July 31, 2013

nice people, excellent breakfast,, fantastic room. great location. close to subway easy walking to shopping/restaurants. area needs work though. centrally located in downtown. what more can I say.would stay again.

Room Tip: stay here!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for you for you comments glad you would return and we will look forward
to welcoming you again.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion and the rooms are done
with antiques.

Thank you again. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manager