“What a great night”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“What a great night”
Reviewed December 24, 2010

I took my boyfriend to the King Edward for his christmas present. The staff were friendly and the hotel itself was stunning, especially the lobby, complete with incredible Christmas tree! The room was clean and spacious, with lots of services and amenities. A late checkout was no problem and room service was eay to use, though very expensive!
There was a fire alarm test at around 10am which was marginally annoying, but other than that, We both had a great stay and would definitely go back to the King Edward!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Great location, reasonable price, excellent service but the building itself is in need of updating. No wifi in rooms, which left us disconnected. While our stay was "fine" just nothing "special". I would not return

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Was upgraded to a small suite (I am a Starwood Platinum member). Room was spotless. The linens on the bed were immaculate. Room service food is tasty and more than substantial. The clubhouse I ordered could have easily been enough for 2 people.
The only quibble I have concerns the huge duvet on the bed. Perhaps a lighter alternative (like a blanket) could be available. It was a little too warm for a comfortable sleep.
I have stayed at this property many times and it's always welcome to return - it's my home when I'm in Toronto.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Everything about this hotel was superb. Large clean rooms, comfortable beds and a beautiful lobby (what a Christmas tree!). The location was excellent for everything we were doing. What stood out above all was the amazing customer service at the front desk and the concierge. We had a car rental crisis and Vanessa and Shawn were there every step of the way to try to resolve- they were truly awesome! Thanks for the help!! The price was right as well since we took advantage of a promotional offer. Would highly recommend this hotel. There is also a real neat Irish Pub PJ O'Briens right across the street. Great food and service. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2010

I had a business during holidays in Toronto, I was by myself and since I first got to the hotel I felt like if they knew me. They treated me as a frequent guest; specially Julius at the front desk and Stefanno the bar tender were so attentive that made me feel I was no so far from home during those holidays. A repeat I would say next time I visit the city.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Port Hope, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I purchased this stay through a discount website and got a really good deal. Upon arrival we discovered they had no record of our reservation. I had the e-confirmation with me and the desk staff made several calls to the booking agent to retrieve the record of my room. They were very friendly and helpful and upgraded our room after all this trouble.
This hotel is a beautiful antique! We had a huge room with a king bed. I am sure the ceilings were at least 12 feet high with lovely crown molding. Although the room was a bit tired and ready for some updates it was still very comfortable and inviting. It had big, tall windows with heavy traditional draperies overlooking King St. The bathroom was super big but had a small dated tub/shower combo.
We took the VIA into the city and easily walked the short distance from Union Station to the hotel. The location of the King Edward is definetly a plus. It started to rain after we checked in so we bought day passes for the subway ($10 each) and went shopping. The subway entrance is only steps from the hotel and is very easy to navigate.
We had a drink in the hotel bar before heading out to the theatre. Very nice but a bit pricey - $27 for a beer and a glass of wine!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Many of my colleagues from Brazil like to stay at the King Edward, for three reasons; 1. Globo TV since there are a lot of our company's travelers from Brazil; 2. Our rate includes the executive lounge (free drinks from 4:30-7:30); and 3. It's a nice hotel downtown.

The east side of Yonge St starts to get very seedy very quickly so many travelers (myself included) prefer west of Yonge downtown. This hotel is very nicely done and has beautiful rooms and a grand entranceway. Everything was upscale yet the price was not and while not a value priced hotel (price is closer to $200/night) my rate of $169 provided extremely good value.

The hotel seemed to lack character though and the service was almost non-existent for a so-called luxury hotel. There is no self-parking, valet parking is $40/night. Find a nearby lot and pay half that if you are on a budget.

The room was very clean and comfortable, however the doors are not well soundproofed and I could hear a lot of activity in the hallway all night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business