“Classic Toronto”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #11 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed August 21, 2014

The Omni King Edward Hotel was built in 1903 and was for decades the most elegant hotel in the city. The hotel retains an air of elegance and sophistication that is wonderful to experience. Located in downtown Toronto near Yonge and King Street West and immediately off the subway it is a great starting point for visiting the theatres, restaurants, St. Lawrence Market, Distillery District, Sports venues, etc.

The looby and rooms are lovely. Our room was well apointed and cute but somewhat dated. The hotel is in the midst of a major renovation and I was told that they expect to have all the refurbished rooms released by January, 18, 2015. If you plan to stay there prior to that date I recommend contacting the hotel directly and, if you want some r 'n r, ask for a room on a floor far from those being redone as the drilling and banging may be significant. We were at the hotel for our anniversary and hoping to sleep in but were instead awoken by construction around 7:40am. The hotel was kind enough to offer us a complimentary breakfast, and frankly, getting up at a reasonable hour helped us to get out the door and enjoy the neighbourhood.

The staff are exceptional. The doorman that assisted us has been there for 30+ years and knows the area like his backyard. The management and front desk staff were warm and welcoming.

In addition the price was very reasonable compared to other 4 star hotels in the city.

Room Tip: If you secure a room above the 7th or 8th floor, the views to the east (away from Yonge Street) are...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,756)

Reviewed August 21, 2014

On arrival at this hotel I was very impressed with the grandeur of the entrance lobby, a fantastic Christmas tree and more than welcoming places to relax. However our stay here was marred by a very unhelpful and rude reception team member, who although apparently had lots of experience dealing with long haul travellers treated us in a patronising and rude manner. Having given us a room that was not the type we booked we were given a camp bed to sleep on - not what was expected for the price we paid or the standard we had believed we could have expected. Aside from this the room was large and well equipped. However they could have done with turning the heating up as there was certainly a draft which with temperatures below freezing is not comfortable. What did improve our stay was the professionalism of other members of staff who went out of their way to help and make us feel welcome, from helping us to buy ice-hockey tickets to recommendations for places to eat. This, and its proximity to all of the sights in Toronto made the stay at the hotel worthwhile.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed here for one night to celebrate my wife's birthday & to catch an event downtown. We were upgraded for free to a newly renovated room which is incredibly nice. The sheets, towels, and bed were ultra comfortable that my wife couldn't resist but take a long nap & missed our dinner reservations - however well worth it. The staff and super friendly and helpful - even the house keeping went out of their way to make things comfortable. The location of this hotel is great as it was within 5-7 mins walk to everything we wanted to do that night.

I only have two small gripes which should not sway anyone from this place:
1. Ice is only on one floor so you have to call front desk to have someone bring it to you which may take some time if they are busy are not.
2. The fitness room is very well lit, clean, and descent sized however the equipment is rather dated. I do see the upgrades coming very soon though.

Will stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Connectivity to Internet is not available in the Business Center -- and without my room being ready, it is NOT convenient to try to work online and conduct phone calls in the noisy lobby. It is extremely frustrating to not be able to produce for the next 5+ hours. I understand the room not being ready, and I don't mind working in the business center, but NO INTERNET? Really? C'mon Omni -- get with the program.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed here during the August long weekend and it was perfect! We we're given a complimentary upgrade to one of the newly renovated rooms and was so surprised ! It was from the friendly check in to the speedy valet service when we needed our car and spacious clean modern rooms will keep us coming back when we are looking for a quick getaway .... Just one thing being a female traveller - we would have loved to see a full length mirror in the room, other than that we cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2014

The hotel lobby is gorgeous, all lovely wood and marble with tons of glorious detail - but the renovated rooms are not, and not in character with the hotel. It was jarring to go from the welcoming lobby to the cold, sleek, gray room. The sofa and chairs in the room were hard and uncomfortable, and the glass of wine in welcome didn't do nearly enough to help! The staff was absolutely charming and as helpful as they could be, but were unable to get us the pre-requested rollaway.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This is one of the best places to stay in Toronto. The service and attention to detail of staff is superb. I arrived feeling like a cup of coffee and the front desk delivered fresh milk for me! I was so happy to have milk and use their great coffee machines. Beds are comfortable - housekeeping is excellent - all round a most pleasant place to stay.
Free WIFi as an Omni member.
One negative - I did forget my car keys in the room - it would have saved me hours of stress if housekeeping would have called me to tell me this vital detail, considering I returned after work on the Friday to collect my luggage and spent the weekend in the city- two days later as I was leaving Toronto I called the hotel from the airport on the off chance that I had left them there and yes, they said they had them secured and safe! They sent them back to my home but not having the car keys meant I was stuck in my destination with no way to get home.

Room Tip: Free if you join up as an OMNI member - also free coffee delivered every morning as a perk! Rooms a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business