“King for a night?”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We arrived at the King Edward hotel around noon after driving in terrible weather then putting up with Toronto's terrible roads and traffic. Already we were less than impressed by Toronto, the city we left years ago. What put a better spin on things was the service once we arrived. The doorman was very pleasant and took our keys for our car which was good because we didn't want to deal with finding parking in this messed up city. The doorman issued us a Valet Parking stub and told us cheerfully to give him 15 minutes notice if we required our vehicle. At the front desk we were quickly processed and given our room keys and told to enjoy our stay. So far so good! We were a little surprised that our room was ready that early, most hotels do not have all rooms ready till around 2pm. Once in our room we found it to be clean and bright, mind you the view was terrible, but this is Toronto's downtown so it was to be expected. From there we went out shopping in Yorkville (service here is comparable to the hotel). Once back at the hotel we went to enjoy Afternoon Tea. This unfortunately is where the hotel lost my excellent rating and received a very good. I was sadly disappointed by the afternoon tea, mid you the service was okay, but the finger sandwiches and pastries were far from fresh or good. If you want a truly good Afternoon Tea then either go to London, England (they have the best) or Niagara-On-The-Lake at the Prince William Hotel. After our disappointing Afternoon Tea we headed to the Hotel's gym which is very good. The equipment is clean, new and in excellent working condition.
The Bar! Excellent! Excellent! Excellent! The drinks are a little expensive, but the staff and service are truly awesome. The next morning I enjoyed the Bar area again as it also double for their morning breakfast and again the staff are excellent. If you come to Toronto and want to experience history as it once was then a stay in this hotel is a must. Yes it is not a modern beauty, it is though a timeless classic that carries you back in time to a more Royal Period.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Chris6819,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience from your recent stay at The King Edward Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the excellent service you received from our doorman, front desk and Consort bar teams. I am also glad that you were able to utilize the newly renovated fitness centre and had a terrific experience at the bar. I do apologize for the issues you encountered at afternoon tea. Your comments have been brought to the attention of the concerned department for review and subsequent action. Thank you for your feedback so we can continue to provide our guests with the best afternoon tea service.

I appreciate your good recommendation of our hotel. We hope that it will not be long before your next visit.

Jeff Waters

Write a ReviewReviews (3,688)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is an older hotel with a lot of charm. The room as small but comfortable. Bed were comfortable. Air quality and air conditioning was very good. Room was clean for the most part (couple of stains in the carpet but that is to be expected with time) Service was outstanding. Reservations are terrible (this is an area in need of improvement). Booked online and no possibility of making any special requests (hypo-allergenic bedding for feather allergy) so we called reservations and they stated they don't have access to the online system. In this day and age, this is pathetic. Called the hotel directly the next day and they were excellent. All said and done, no issues. Parking in Toronto is horribly expensive. I just parked on the street. Cost me 1/4 of what hotel charges (but they don't seem to be more expensive than the rest of Toronto... just a very expensive place to park at all hotels.... 40-45$/night + tax!!!! If you know this in advance, you can make other arrangements. I felt safer leaving car on busy street than in a secluded parking lot. Who knows where hotel parks it anyway. Lovely bar downstairs. We also had nice brunch onsite.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Schnaffer,

I am pleased that your stay with us was to your satisfaction. Thank you for your comments about our outstanding service. I wish to apologize for the level of service you received from the Reservations team and regret the inconvenience you experienced when booking. I am glad, however, that we were able to accommodate your requests and made your stay comfortable.

Thank you for sharing some helpful insights about areas for improvement as we continue in our efforts to deliver the best service and experience expected of The King Edward Hotel.

I look forward to having you and your family stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've stayed at the King Eddy on business off and on over the past couple of decades, but I will not any more. My room, 205, is a storage room with a Murphy bed. There isn't even a floor lamp to read by. No soap in the bathroom. Walls are dinged up. No light in the closet.
I've stayed at motels for my kids's hockey tournaments that have nicer rooms than this. Must be a change in ownership. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Eric F,

Thank you for your years of loyalty to The King Edward Hotel. I deeply regret, however, that your most recent experience with us failed to meet both our own standards of product quality and your own expectations. As a regular guest of this hotel, I am sure you recognize that your experience was not typical of our usual room accommodations. The second floor rooms feature comfortable Murphy beds and I apologize if this type of room was not to your liking. I also apologize for the absence of soap and our failure to provide this basic service to you. Please know that we are continually working to improve our services and facilities to deliver a seamless guest experience. Thank you for your feedback and I hope that you consider giving us another opportunity to demonstrate our genuine interest in serving you properly.

Genaral Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at the King Edward for a getaway stay. We were pleasantly surprised by the large size of the room and the comfortable bed! The room was old in style but clean and well stocked. The bathroom provided a makeup mirror, a blowdryer and the usual soaps and shampoos. The fridge was very well stocked with a mini bar and good selection ofsnacks which were an extra charge(fairly pricey). We didn't have any of the snacks or bar but it was tempting! We were on the 7th floor so really didn't hear any traffic. I used the Nouvelle Maria Spa located on the Mezzanine and had a very good 25 min massage(with an RMT) and a manicure in a very relaxing and stylish atmosphere. The staff at the spa and the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. We ordered extra pillows with no problem. The parking is valet but there was no waiting for the car.
Our stay was only marred by ignorant guests who were partying late on our floor. But the hotel staff dealt with the problem promptly and made amends to us upon leaving.
All in all it was a lovely stay and we would definitely stay again.

Dear Chika52,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review about The King Edward Hotel. I appreciate the wonderful comments about your overall experience and I am delighted that our warm hospitality made for a very pleasant stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at the King Edward Hotel for a couple of nights on business. All of the staff I interacted with at the front desk were incredibly helpful and polite. When I suggested that I might have to stay an extra night, due to events in Boston, management was incredibly accommodating.

The room quality was very good, clean linens, comfy bed. Large room, with a chair and a king-sized bed. The bathroom was okay too, my only complaint is that shower curtains are dated. Glass doors are the way to go and should have been made the standard in the mid-90s.

Mini-bar, snacks, and on demand movies (non-adult) are all incredibly overpriced as is the hotel's restaurant (expect to spend approx $50 for one person). I think 'The Hobbit' was showing at a rental fee of $18.99 + tax.

The location is perfect! Great spot in downtown Toronto, right by Yonge St and the subway. If you're coming from Billy Bishop (Toronto City) Airport the airport shuttle drops you about a 7 minute walk from the hotel.

For $130.00 a night you can't beat it!

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PurplePoppie

Dear Newenglandtraveller2,

My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful experience at The King Edward Hotel. Thank you for your commendations of the good service, helpfulness and friendliness of our staff. I am also glad that the hotel’s location and proximity to key areas was an advantage for you. Your comment about the bathroom has been noted and will be addressed in the upcoming renovation of guest rooms.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent a night at the King Eddie April 26. We were upgraded to a larger room, though I don't know how big our booked room was. There is a wide foyer with 2 closets on the left side and the bathroom to the right. Straight ahead is a sitting area with a small sofa, chair and coffee table. To the other end of the room is the king bed, small bench at the bottom of the bed and an armoire with some drawers, the tv and the bar fridge. There is a desk which doubles as one of the bedside tables. There are three windows. Unfortunately, the whole room was dated. They are trying to keep the look "antique" but this room hadn't been updated in a long while, likely since the 80s.

The saggy mattress was obvious: deep impressions showing where many bodies before us had lain. The bed was hard with no life left to it, if you know what I mean. Both pillows were of the same material, hard, the only difference between them was one was thinner than the other. However, the sheets were crisp and white. Ditto for the towels.

The bathroom, though, gave me the most grief. The lighting in the bathroom is awful. There are two pot lights over the sink which seemed so dull until I turned on the make-up mirror - which felt like I was applying makeup by candle light - and moving away from that yellow light made the pot lights seems so much brighter. Argh! There were not enough towels, only two of each but with my long hair I need a towel for it but the hand towel is too small and the bath towel was in use. The toilet paper and tissues were what you would expect in a public washroom, not a hotel. The toiletries were not very good. Staying for just one night it didn't make sense to pack shampoo and such but if you're planning on staying longer, you might want to bring your own. Oh, and they supply only one robe! It was hanging in the closet and when I saw only one, I had my husband head back to the chambermaid we passed in the hall for another; she gave him one but said there should be only one.

We took advantage of their anniversary sale to stay here. If we got less than their best because of it, it's a false economy: the impression left with us is not favourable: we won't be back. We celebrate our anniversary in Toronto every year, usually staying the whole weekend. I'm glad we stayed only the one night. If you are thinking of also having a massage at Nouvelle Maria Spa within the hotel, you might want to read what my experience was with them, also, unfavourable. In a nutshell, their bread and butter is tourists that arrive to the hotel - they know most won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear choosehappiness,

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointing stay with us. It is our goal to consistently provide the best hospitality and service to our guests and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own standards. Thank you for your feedback. Let me simply say that all of us here at The King Edward Hotel are committed to delivering a much better and more pleasant experience than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. We offer our sincere apologies for any service shortfall during your visit. Room renovations are currently underway to address the deficiencies you mentioned and consequently enhance the overall stay experience.

Whilst you have indicated otherwise, I hope for another chance to extend our true and warm hospitality, and deliver better service to you. I know that this does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and that we are doing something to address them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We decided to stay downtown to shop and attend the Stars on Ice show at the ACC last on April 26, 2013. We selected The King Edward Hotel as it is very centrally located one block from Yonge St on King St. We have stayed here before.

We arrived early just after 9:00am and did not expect our room to be ready. To our surprise one was available on the 7th floor ( Deluxe King bed room).

The room looked like the wallpaper & draperies has been redone but not recently. The furnishings showed that it has been in service for over 20 years. The inside of the bathtub showed marks of the tub mat ( the mat was not in sight) and last but not least the carpet has not been replaced for over 20 years. The have moved something and it showed the carpet underneath it ... as it should have been years ago.

The room is tastefully decorated and the beddings are clean as well as no tell-tale smell of smoke.

We could have waited for a better room and furnishings but my hubby did not want to wait. Since I have some shopping to do I agreed to accept the room.

Breakfast at the Victoria's Restaurant was acceptable and service was attentive. I have to ask though for a pot holder for the silver teapot, which was too hot to touch, (but they did not have one) so I asked for a serviette instead. Little things that is needed that seem to have been sacrificed for economy-sake. You can choose to have your breakfast outside the restaurant (in the lobby).

While the lobby is quite impressive one has to realize that the rooms might not be.....

P.S. It will cost you $40 + tax per day to valet park your car as they do not have their own parking area. There are parking lots nearby but might not be safe for overnight parking.

Room Tip: If you are particular and staying more that one night I suggest you wait for a better room.